Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Are you a wealth builder?
Old 04-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Are you a wealth builder?

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb.../+FgzLL7ocs%3D

Quote:
Wealthy people understand the difference between a high-consumption lifestyle funded with passive income versus living such a lifestyle and having it consume most or all of their earned income. Wealth builders spend their earning years saving and investing and accumulating income-producing assets. They tend to live in smaller homes, drive older vehicles and forgo the showiness that many high-wage earners display. When they increase their standard of living, they are able to sustain it whether their earnings go up or not.
I though that this was a pretty well constructed piece that has some excellent aspects of LBYM.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Are you a wealth builder?
Old 04-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Administrator

No arguments here. These are exactly the findings of the authors of "The Millionaire Next Door"
Old 04-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yet another reminder that it ain't rocket science! Good thing too!
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't agree with the article in that it states that you can replace your earned income with passive income in 10 - 15 yearsi fyou save 20% of your income. Take someone making 80K per year....that would require $2 Million in savings at a 4% SWR to match their salary. This is not doable in 10 years...15 is possible but it would require great returns and diligent saving.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks
I don't agree with the article in that it states that you can replace your earned income with passive income in 10 - 15 yearsi fyou save 20% of your income. Take someone making 80K per year....that would require $2 Million in savings at a 4% SWR to match their salary. This is not doable in 10 years...15 is possible but it would require great returns and diligent saving.
Yep, does not add up.

If I put away 20%/year, and assume 8% returns, I get about 6X my income in savings after 15 years. 10% returns about 7x. So even if I take out that 10% from my savings each year after that, I only get 70% of my original $ (keeping everything in todays dollars - which also means that 8 or 10% need to be *real* returns!).

Good concept, but I think he (or me) need to check the math.

-ERD50

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Well If you save 50% of your income, make 8% on your money, you will hit 50% of your salary after 15 years! You have been living off of 50% anyway so your homefree lol

Increase that return to 15% and you can do it in just over 10 years!

Anyone know how I can get 15% a year forever? :

trixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixs
Well If you save 50% of your income, make 8% on your money, you will hit 50% of your salary after 15 years! You have been living off of 50% anyway so your homefree lol

Increase that return to 15% and you can do it in just over 10 years!

Anyone know how I can get 15% a year forever? :

Probably not legally

Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixs
Hey, this is easier than I thought! Live off of 3% of your income for just ONE YEAR and you can have an SWR of a conservative 3% for the rest of your life! Now *that* is an ER!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks
Throw in some real estate and some investments that move faster than the index funds and it is possible. We saved over 40% of pre-tax income in several years. Averaged about 30% savings. We moved up the housing scale through a couple of buy-live in-sell cycles and also in some land in a subdivision which we later sold for a profit. We also had some down years were we lost over 30% of NW.

It can be done but it also takes limiting taxes and expenses along the way. Defer as much as possible (max out retirement accounts) if you are in a higher tax bracket. Invest in a broad range of areas and keep your investment expenses low. Use discount brokerage houses and low cost funds. The rest will work itself out.