Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Man, just buy crap two months after the season. You can get decent, no-holes shirts for $19.99 when during the season the full price is $49.99.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Sometimes I think I should put one of those bumper stickers on our tiny little house: "Don't laugh -- it's paid for!"
I would consider doing that, but the bumper stickers cost more than I am willing to spend.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
See we've got a lot of married guys here who can get away with looking "poor". The single fellows are not going to get a second look from the ladies garbed in such a manner.

The same can be said for single women.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Man, just buy crap two months after the season. You can get decent, no-holes shirts for $19.99 when during the season the full price is $49.99.
That solves the financial problem, but what if you have no sense of style. Even the most expensive clothing is worse than worthless if it's not hip.
Wearing a shirt thats "out" is worse for your image than an old, holey rag that screams cool.

While these things are innate to women, it takes a special kind of guy to pull it off.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I second the Costco thing. There is a good percentage of clothes (including 2 nice dress coats) that I've bought there. It's gotten to where anymore, Costco is one of my favorite clothes shopping places. Really! You can make up that membership fee easily in the amount that you save on clothing. And workout clothes - really cheap comparatively speaking. I am just a big Costco fan. I don't buy a lot there, clothes sometimes, and occasionally an impulse purchase, or shopping for the holidays, but I just love the place.

Oh - and I'm so not afraid of looking poor. I get much more easily embarrassed at how dirty my 2000 Honda Civic is one day after washing it around here, than about how much older my car is than all of my coworkers cars. I'm not poor, and as long as I know that, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. To folks who care about that anyway - there is always someone who "looks" poor to them anyway. I could live a much more lavish lifestyle if I wanted, but I wouldn't be any more fulfilled in life than I am now.
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
See we've got a lot of married guys here who can get away with looking "poor". The single fellows are not going to get a second look from the ladies garbed in such a manner.

The same can be said for the basic premise of frugality.
Be prepared to give up the comforts of intergender companionship if you follow such a path guys.
Being a single guy, who lives frugally and usually dresses like a street urchin, my opinion is that if gal can't see beyond ''outward appearances'', then she's already proven that she's much too superficial for my taste. And it's sort of a 2 way street for me as well......'cause I'm not overly impressed by the gals that dress to the 9's, or in such a way as to try to impress people......and if she's not into frugality, she definitely not my type! I much prefer those who dress in similar style as myself and who live frugally as well.....they're not easy to come by, in fact there few and far between, but to me, they're worth the time and effort to find. Maybe it's just the 'old hippie' in me, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
If I was single Id rather find someone who had similar interests regarding finances. Not what clothes, car or house I had.
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:27 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia View Post
......I'm not poor, and as long as I know that, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. To folks who care about that anyway - there is always someone who "looks" poor to them anyway. I could live a much more lavish lifestyle if I wanted, but I wouldn't be any more fulfilled in life than I am now.
Amen!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #68

i never understood fashion. yet one of my dearest friends is a long-term staffer at a major mag and so i get a free subscription. while it has some great writing and research, it is mostly advertisement. some are pretty creative but i could never imagine wearing any of that. it is one thing to play with your dolls, another to think you need to dress like one.

anyone who looks at me sees a lazygood4nothinbum. living in the tropics & semi-tropics since age 16, i've spent most of my life in bathing suit and flip flop though now i often cover up from the sun with a t-shirt as well. working out of the house for about 15 years, my standard dress was underwear (if i felt like dressing formal). though i did keep a shirt pressed for meetings, i hated putting it on.

i think i look just fine and i could give a rat's ass about what anyone else thinks of how i look. i have at least 30 different colored t-shirts, so i think i am at the height of fashion. i have shorts and jeans and a few pairs of shoes. i'm a happy boy even if i was the only guy at our 30-year reunion not in a tie & jacket.

if i wanted to put on the ritz for outward appearance, i'd wrap myself up in one of these: http://tinyurl.com/34pqw5

"fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." ~~ oscar wilde

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:21 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I'm dreaming of the day when people say this about me: "That guy looks like your average Joe Sixpack. You'd never know he's a millionaire by lookin' at him."
I'm dreaming of the day when people look at me and say: "That guy looks like a millionaire" and they're right.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:35 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I dont know why. But fake poo is funny. Fake critters also ranks up on the fun factor.
and who can ever forget the swimming pool scene with Bill Murray and the floater in "Caddyshack"?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I was single Id rather find someone who had similar interests regarding finances. Not what clothes, car or house I had.
Thus the advantage of moving amongst the hippy/progressive.outdoorsy set. Met DW while we were both living in a cooperative dorm/dining hall/commune thing (with co-ed cattle showers - woohoo) in college. You think she noticed that my thrift shop threads were any different than that of my fellows?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I shoot for the look that says it wouldnt be worth it to sue me or write me a ticket.

I nab all the end of season clearances at LL Bean, Landsend and REI, plus whatever Costco is selling. Especially baby clothes. I cant believe the markup on kids clothing.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

Definitely not. Thrift stores are my friends. Especially when people donate clothes with the tags still on them! I love buying T-shirt for under $5 and am a big end of season shopper. I don't like to buy anything unless it's at least 50% off. I bought I nice winter pea coat originally $80 at Old Navy for $20 at the end of season.
laurinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Must've been something she noticed in the shower that differentiated you from the other bulls, eh Brewer?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Must've been something she noticed in the shower that differentiated you from the other bulls, eh Brewer?
Not likely, since we lived (and showered) on different floors. Frankly, after the third week, you get sort of blase about it. "Pass me the shampoo, would you?"

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #76

My favorite designers have been "Clear Ance" (Clearance) and thrift stores for so long now that my son says I can't even stand to pay retail anymore...and he's right (except for shoes, cause if your feet hurt no amount of savings is worth it).
By the way, I have my own fake dog poo here. I thought it was a riot and gave it to my son as a Xmas stocking stuffer one year. My pretentious relatives thought it was crude and unfunny. To each their own...they just don't know funny, I guess.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

So I was buying my Scott's lawn treatment bags (all 4 for the season because there is a $25 coupon) and I get to the check out and ask if they take AmEx? The young man asks to see my ID (I guess I did not look like anyone would give me an AmEx card); no one will ask me for money
blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
The same can be said for single women.
When I was single,I never worried about how women looked when they were DRESSED, only the opposite.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #79
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
So I was buying my Scott's lawn treatment bags (all 4 for the season because there is a $25 coupon) and I get to the check out and ask if they take AmEx? The young man asks to see my ID (I guess I did not look like anyone would give me an AmEx card); no one will ask me for money
I hope looking poor makes one less likely to be robbed.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #80

[quote=Goonie;634819]Being a single guy, who lives frugally and usually dresses like a street urchin, my opinion is that if gal can't see beyond ''outward appearances'', then she's already proven that she's much too superficial for my taste. And it's sort of a 2 way street for me as well......'cause I'm not overly impressed by the gals that dress to the 9's, or in such a way as to try to impress people......and if she's not into frugality, she definitely not my type! I much prefer those who dress in similar style as myself and who live frugally as well.....they're not easy to come by, in fact there few and far between, but to me, they're worth the time and effort to find. Maybe it's just the 'old hippie' in me, man!
/quote]

Us "girls" aren't that interested in "what" a man is wearing as much as whether the clothing is clean, not overly wrinkled, at least in style in the past decade, and that it fits him well. Ditto shoes. We also look at fingernails and teeth. All these items in good condition tells us that you know how to take care of yourself and aren't expecting to hook up with "mommy." Just so you understand the priorities.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote