Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

When bums see the way I dress, they get offended and cross over to the other side of the street.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
When bums see the way I dress, they get offended and cross over to the other side of the street.
How do you know they are in fact bums and not the same as you?
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I sometimes have to buy new clothes for work appearances, but never for weekends or days off. I figure with what's in the back of the closet or otherwise stored away as no longer nice enough for workdays, but still wearable, I've probably got 50 years worth so I'm planning on a nice long retirement of looking like it's laundry day.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

An interesting little story about looking like a bum. An ex-coworker was single and lived at home with his parents. He was the ultimate LBYM type, never owned a car, rode a bicycle or took the bus to work for years. He shops at Salvation Army and Goodwill and looks like a derelict when he's on the street with his old rusty bicycle and long wool overcoat that has to be 50 years old and has been caught in the chain more than a few times.

His biggest problem with looking like a bum is that he gets stopped by the police frequently. He lives just a few blocks from me and he definitely looks out of place around our neighborhood.

Back in the 70's he and another engineer were working on a project that required a few trips to Oklahoma. The pair of them went a few times and then I was selected to go in place of Charlie (the LBYM guy). When I asked what was wrong with Charlie he said, After a long day working in the plant I like to go out and have a nice dinner and a beer. Then he said, Charlie's idea of going out for dinner is a trip to the grocery store for a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, a six pack of beer and heading back to the motel.

In 1994 old Charlie took a buyout at work and was back the next Monday and still works to this day. He's one heck of an engineer and can figure out how to get things done for the lowest dollar cost.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
That solves the financial problem, but what if you have no sense of style. Even the most expensive clothing is worse than worthless if it's not hip.
Wearing a shirt thats "out" is worse for your image than an old, holey rag that screams cool.

While these things are innate to women, it takes a special kind of guy to pull it off.
Well, with a screen name BunsGettingFirm, I certainly know how to make my "assets" look good.

I wouldn't worry about being not being at the bleeding edge of fashion. Just get shirts and shoes that make good sense, and relegate the past cool shirts to casual Fridays.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
The clothes I wore to work while programming at a small aerospace company in
the 1980's were so ratty that a memo was circulated around the business park to
beware - a homeless man was sneaking in to shower (I was showering after my
noon workout).
We have a group of programmers in our unit. I kind of wish I was in their shoes from time to time. In operations, we have to look/dress the part, especially since we are often part of sales pitches and are often in direct contact in current clients.

The programmers have limited contact with both and just get to focus on problem solving and coding. They are very valuable to the organization (good ones are hard to find) so nobody cares how they dress.

One, I suspect, is a hard core LBYM. I always seem him wearing the same pants, 2 polo shirts, suspenders and he is always carrying his brown bag lunch. I have seen him hawk over the leftovers from company parties.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
One, I suspect, is a hard core LBYM. I always seem him wearing the same pants, 2 polo shirts, suspenders and he is always carrying his brown bag lunch. I have seen him hawk over the leftovers from company parties.
Brown bagging one's lunch isn't that uncommon at my work, and I think that is probably due to the sedentary nature of our jobs and the desire of most of us to keep our weight down. Most of us belong to a gym, as well. As for the leftovers from company parties, the secretaries or administrative assistants take them home.

I don't often interface with the public, but when I do it is often representing my agency in very formal meetings involving mind-bogglingly large sums of federal money so I need to dress nicely, in a formal, conservative sort of way. So, I have a few expensive outfits for that.

But otherwise, I dress in "business casual" (often polo shirts and black or tan slacks). Up until my windfall, I had three everyday work outfits and did the laundry twice a week. When my net worth increased dramatically in February, I went out and bought more so that I have enough to last a week and a half.

Probably I would have done that earlier if I was bucking for a promotion right now, instead of getting ready to retire next year.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Point on, Mr. Business Man, you can't dress like me." Jimi Hendrix

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #89

One of the guys I used to work with was very sensitive to style and dress, and having a "cool" car. He was the one who was incredulous when I bought a pickup truck after my divorce and said "You're going out in dates in THAT!?"

"Sure. And if some girl doesn't want to out with me because I drive a pickup truck that's fine. It'll save us both a lot of bother."

When we were dating DW liked the pickup truck. It had A/C & power windows and her car didn't.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Am I afraid to look poor? No. Do I want to look poor on purpose? No. I grew up in Europe so I naturally tend to overdress by American standards. My mom taught me that wearing less than impeccable clothes is a sign of disrespect for those who have to cast an eye on your sorry-looking person. So one should be impeccably dressed (and groomed) at all times, even when doing a ice cream run to the grocery store at 10:00 pm.I know, it does not make sense for many people, my wife included. It does not mean however that your clothes have to be expensive or fancy. Growing up I never wore designer clothes and today I still don't. My favorite brands include LL Beans, Land's end and Levis. I like classic clothes but not necessarily stylish. But if my clothes start to look old (fading, thinning, etc) or have holes or stains, I throw them away. And I like them perfectly ironed too. I usually keep clothes for about 3 years on average. My wife and I spend about $700 a year on clothes.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #91
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
That solves the financial problem, but what if you have no sense of style. Even the most expensive clothing is worse than worthless if it's not hip.
Wearing a shirt thats "out" is worse for your image than an old, holey rag that screams cool.

While these things are innate to women, it takes a special kind of guy to pull it off.
Okay, here's the thing about clothes and guys. Jeans are okay, even holes in them are okay. But the tapered Kirk-Cameron powder-blue blue jeans from the '80s are not okay. Just make sure the jeans have a dark wash, and are not tapered (not too flared either), and they can be as cheap as you like!

Also, I personally think most people can get away with wearing just about anything as long as they're thin (although I'm not necessarily there yet). I notice people's body contours more than the cut and quality of their clothes. A slim guy could wear the Kirk Cameron jeans AND a geometric print sweater from the '80s, and would still be better looking than a fat guy in full rocker-boy skinny-jeans hipster attire.
tikitoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

I guess if the 80's jeans are out, that this look might be a little too downscale?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overalls that fit.jpg (25.3 KB, 10 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, I didn't get rich by shopping at Macy's. In my 30's I even dived into some neighbor's garbage(shhhhhhh....at midnight or later) and pulled out some really nice shoes, clothes and furniture. Once a neighbor came by and said..."hey, I had a night table just like that one".
Nanita8140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

I still have my button down Arrow Dover style shirts from my last job at a company (pre 1988 ). Are those still in style?
Old 03-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
A My mom taught me that wearing less than impeccable clothes is a sign of disrespect for those who have to cast an eye on your sorry-looking person. So one should be impeccably dressed (and groomed) at all times, even when doing a ice cream run to the grocery store at 10:00 pm.
Ouch! That is one tough standard.

CFB - I REALLY didn't need to see that picture!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Blame my old high school pal Mike in Florida, who sent it to me about 2 minutes before I read the thread.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Does it count if you are using a Prosobee baby formula can to patch a noisy muffler?
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #98
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Does not bother me in the slightest. If it were not for DW I would be even cheaper.
Above "nails it" for me (especially the DW part....)
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #99

This guy obviously need help with his style...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rwedding.jpg (57.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Wally world for my undies/socks and Salvation Army for the last wedding/reception I attended - under $35 shoes suit shirt tie etc plus blazer and slacks for the wedding rehersal diner.

For styling around town I like name brand overalls from Salvation Army in good condition.

I try to wear what's comfortable and appropriatiate for the occassion.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote