Are you afraid to look poor?

I like to look nice and neat and put together . I am not a status buyer . I have no interest in high priced designer wear but I like the reasonable Liz Claiborne,Lands End and JJill clothes . They last forever and I always feel good in them . Do I want to look poor ? No , I'll go for the middle class look .

Ooh say can you see, my eyes; if you can then my hair's too short...

Brylcreem, a little dab'l do ya...

I like to look nice and neat and put together.
Good for you. Everyone of us should follow that practice. Like Donzo said, "You can wear almost anything...if you are well groomed."

Do I want to look poor? No, I'll go for the middle class look .
The original question was "are you afraid to look poor?" ... which is a bit different from deliberately affecting a shabby look.

Thanks Milton , I 'm not afraid to look poor . I'm more afraid to look sloppy . Guys can carry off that devil may care shorts and t shirt look better than most women especially older women .

Good for you. Everyone of us should follow that practice. Like Donzo said, "You can wear almost anything...if you are well groomed."

Um, why exactly?

I hate shaving. When I check out, it will become a once a week (max) event. Why the hell do I care if someone doesn't like stubble?

Originally Posted by Milton
Um, why exactly?

I hate shaving. When I check out, it will become a once a week (max) event. Why the hell do I care if someone doesn't like stubble?

See if it goes on your credit report or even worse, on your permanent record!

Last edited:
Great thread!

How much do you all spend on clothes? Quicken says my 4 year average is $465/year. It is amazing how one trip to Men's Warehouse in that period of time can mess up the averages.

Milkman

How much do you all spend on clothes? Quicken says my 4 year average is $465/year. It is amazing how one trip to Men's Warehouse in that period of time can mess up the averages.

Milkman

I'll be darned! $640/year for two of us over 4 years. I never would have guessed that much. But I am about to have to replace the 5 pair of 4-year-old jeans in another year or two.

Before retirement it was a lot more since I wore suits to work, and while she didn't usually wear a suit the outfit had to be business class.

Great thread!

Milkman

Off the top of my head, $88 in the last six months.

2Cor521

"dress like [-]a[/-]the millionaire next door". by definition.

Fixed that for you. :D

I've always been a fan of the saying that "It's not the clothes on the body, but rather the body on which you put the clothes, that makes the man." A fat man in an Armani suit is still fat. A tri-athlete in a JC Penney Stafford suit is still a tri-athlete, and looks better.

Last edited:
You'd be amazed at the quality of clothes you can find at garage/rummage sales. Most of my things were or looked new (some with tags on), and cost less than $2.

Um, why exactly?

Why stop there? Save real time and effort by showering only once a week. No need to change your socks more than once a month, either. Who cares what others may think? :p

Why stop there? Save real time and effort by showering only once a week. No need to change your socks more than once a month, either. Who cares what others may think? :p

I can put up with my own stubble. Its when I start smelling a bit rank that I break down and do the shower.. :eek:

Damn straight.

We'd all do well to remember that ER is fundamentally a selfish choice. Nothing wrong with that, but also nothing to get on your high horse about.

My husband tried this. Seems like when we got our first RV, he decided shaving was optional - maybe once every two weeks. He really started looking pretty bedraggled.

I finally begged him to PLEASE grow a beard! LOL!

Problem solved. (OK - he trims it maybe once every couple of weeks or so).

Audrey

I love being frugal. It makes me proud and laugh at the morons paying too much. I am just careful to not be stingy.

You'd be amazed at the quality of clothes you can find at garage/rummage sales. Most of my things were or looked new (some with tags on), and cost less than $2.

We do too... My wife has gotten many outfits that stil had the tags on them, ditto with shoes, and also a mink coat ($50). We don't stop at clothes, our home is semi furnished with yard sale finds, our cabin is completely furnished with yard sale items (including a custom made king sized bed and a next to new pennsylvania house oak bedroom set). Some stuff we have sold on Ebay and have had garage sales ourselves to get rid of stuff that was just too good a buy to pass up or was entirely free, the rest of the stuff ends up at Goodwill. Garage sales/estate sales are a favorite pastime for us now.

Jim

Fixed that for you. :D

I've always been a fan of the saying that "It's not the clothes on the body, but rather the body on which you put the clothes, that makes the man." A fat man in an Armani suit is still fat. A tri-athlete in a JC Penney Stafford suit is still a tri-athlete, and looks better.

Thanks, but our small joke is that if you are a millionaire, then by definition you are dressing like one. I agree with you about body and clothes, though good garb can cover a multitude of flaws, while ill fitting and poorly designed clothes can make a good man look bad. My honey says i can go from bum to beautiful with a shave. Also thinks i drop a few years. for her, ok, i'll shave. there are benefits.

Back
Top Bottom