Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Are you aiming at a date or a sum?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Heh heh heh heh - don't underestimate the mental difficulty of making the leap once you get handgrenade close nest egg wise.
Perhaps true, but lets not flirt with JG retirement strategy mentality. We have impressional minds that visit here, and we have a responsibility to not lead them astray.

I think if you added it up, far more retire before they're financially ready (and usually go back to work), than work longer than they had to.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2006, 07:49 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieTexan
"If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell." - Philip Sheridan
--------------------------------

Phil Sheridan was a drunk during the Civil War and served at Fort Duncan near what is now Eagle Pass (Piedras Negras). Maybe that is why he thought that way!
I though he was just miffed about property taxes...

Old 12-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Neither date nor sum. Prior to ER I saved as much as I could all of the time until it hurt. Then I saved some more. If the pain did not go away (it often did) then I would back off of the savings a bit, however I never stopped saving/investing no matter how tough it got.

My goal was simply: Save as much as possible for retirement. A little pain now, a lot of fun later.
My sentiments exactly mickeyd....however, I would say my Prime Directive is "The Number" (no pension, all investments). I have a secondary goal of an age, but no definite age number (just as early as possible, depending on Prime Directive ). Since I hope to go in my late 30s, I'm shooting for a conservative 2.5% withdrawal to meet expenses, depending on the particulars of my future wife (whomever it turns out to be ). Based on current dollars, I would guess about $1.6M total portfolio balance.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieTexan
"If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell." - Philip Sheridan
Stationed in Lubbock back in the late '60's (Reese AFB – no longer active). We had a favorite quote:

- What's the definition of a Texan?

- A Mexican that didn't make it to Oklahoma...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Hmmm Hindsight being what it is:

Planned on 1.3 mil in 2006 at age 63. Was canned, layed off, made redundant Jan 1993 with 300k his and hers plus a 50k duplex at age 49.

So post Katrina and one tornado. Net worth after 13 going into 14 yrs of ER - ballpark 1.1 mil. in financial stuff.

Time in the market and all that rot - plus da 90's was a good decade.

Had I not been unemployed - I'd probably be still working and wondering whether I had enough to retire.

Heh heh heh heh - don't underestimate the mental difficulty of making the leap once you get handgrenade close nest egg wise.

Great job! Just curious.
What have you been investing? What is your asset allocation? What was your withdrawal rate? Does your withdrawal rate vary between years?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - it's buried back in my old posts.

1966-1976 - made every investment mistake in the book - except commodities futures.

But roughly 50/50 1976-1987 in 401k(the big dog) S&P 500/GIC's aka guaranteed insurance contracts. 100% S&P after the 1987 drop till 1993, slice and dice in Vanguard after the rollover until Lifestrategy moderate was availible (60/40).

Lived really cheap and did not tap IRA until after Katrina. Used severance pay, DRIP dividend stocks, sold and consumed duplex, worked a temp job for one year - two small pensions at age 55.

2006 - consolidated into VG Target Retiement 2015 - plan on 5% variable withdrawal rate. Non cola pension and early SS and stock dividends cover the bare bones fixed budget with the variable withdrawal for the 'variable' stuff.

Looking back - not touching the 401k rollover 1993-2005 did the trick and history helped - a good decade.

heh heh heh - actually more complicated/messy but in general - live cheap and watch the first ten years. Note - the temp job when it was offered helped.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

The first date was when my youngest started college (13 years from now) then it was when I hit 50 (6 years from now), now?? could be this summer if the job keeps going they way it is.
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #68

It's both an age and an amount. Prior to age 54, looking for 33X expenses. Age 55 or higher looking for 25X expenses.

It appears I am on track for age 52 and 25X without makes too many contributions from this point forward. I need to find that little extra to get from 25X to 33X over 20 year period.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieTexan View Post
Hell is in Michigan (zip code 48169), why would anyone want to live there?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
Hell is in Michigan (zip code 48169), why would anyone want to live there?
Maybe so the grim reaper would think you were already gone?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote