Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Talking about beer, I stick to Yuengling.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I do not give or receive gifts, so no worries about regifting.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

My thoughts on regifting:

1. It is fine when you tell the recipient exactly what you are doing. I often would offer my sibs freebie stuff I would get from one place or another.

2. It feels tacky to wrap up a gift you got and give it to someone else as a holiday present. Though maybe it may be a gray area if the gift is just perfect for that person.

Kind of off the topic, but the whole holiday gift thing is just a big economic waste. So much money is spent on things that people don't want or don't need. People put themselves in difficult financial positions in order to comply with some unwritten rule regarding gifts. More than one Christmas present for each kid. Gifts to other relatives. Secret Santa at work. Decoration madness. Kid parties with gifts expected. Etc. Back when I used to see the bankruptcy filers many many had huge credit card bills resulting from gifts to relatives, mostly their children.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyC View Post
Re-gifting is rather tacky in my opinion, but it does depend on the situation and the original source of the gift.
Maybe re-gifting is frugal if you ask someone if they can use it and CB if you re-wrap it in a box from an expensive store. My boss asked if I knew someone who could use a paperweight he didn't like because it screamed the wrong kind of politics; I said I knew just the right person; it was me and I kept it even thou I also didn't like the sentiment but I really did like the client. Yeah, the source is everything.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Kind of off the topic, but the whole holiday gift thing is just a big economic waste.
Thanks Martha, I could not agree more. Oh sure, it is one thing to get Christmas and B-day presents for kids, but when your 50-something siblings are still insisting on exchanging gifts it is just plain silly. All it really means is that we swap money twice a year, it is insane. I told them this year that if they were going to insist on getting me a gift that I wanted them to take me out to dinner at one of the local brewpubs...at least that would be fun. And wouldn't you know it, they got in an argument about how much each one owed when the bill came...ugh!

Sorry, I am ranting, and perhaps this makes me a CB...

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My experience is that once you stop giving gifts, eventually you stop getting them. (It should be announced in advance.)
Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember a couple of years ago, my wife and I went to an all you can eat pizza buffet with her aunt and uncle. After we were all done eating, her aunt went back up to the buffet, brought back at least 5 pieces of pizza, wrapped them in some napkins, and put them in her purse. Another time, we went skiing with them and had the breakfast buffet at the hotel. She said that she wasn't hungry so she only ordered water, but then proceeded to request her husband bring back specific pastries, some fruit, and an extra glass of orange juice. Ruined the meal for me. Not that it should matter but their combined incomes are about 115K and apart from the dining issues, nice folks. I could have said something, but that wasn't the cross I wanted to die on. For ANY of you out there who do stuff like this and think that it is alright...it isn't, you aren't impressing anyone, you are most assuredly a cheap bastard, and yes, people will be embarassed to be seen with you in public.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
My experience is that once you stop giving gifts, eventually you stop getting them. (It should be announced in advance.)
That was my experience too, but it doesn't bother me.

I don't send gifts, either, though I send my twenty-nine year old daughter a check for her birthday and Christmas. She usually sends me something I would like (like last year, she sent me a calendar that she personally made using my favorites of her own digital photos, that I really love). But I do not get or send gifts to anybody else, any more.

I agree with Martha. The whole holiday gift thing has become so commercial and meaningless. I am not religious, and I do not decorate the house or buy a Christmas tree either (though I would, if I wanted one, and might some day; this is not about self-deprivation).

At Christmas time I usually buy myself something that I actually DO want and would have to buy anyway later on. That way I don't feel too forlorn despite Madison Avenue's attempts at manipulating the nation's holiday attitudes. Frank and I do not exchange gifts, but he usually takes me out at night to drive around and look at the Christmas lights. I like that.

Maybe my lack of "doing Christmas" makes me a cb, though I don't think so. I am able to focus more on what Christmas means to me - - love, joy, beauty, and the miracles of life, birth, and childhood come to mind. Selfless expressions of love and caring are a lot easier when money is not involved at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Frugal: Not having cable.........

Cheap bastard: Stealing cable from a neighbor by using a splitter...........
No no no! Here's how that goes:

Having "bare bones basic" cable: .......................Frugal.
Not having cable: ...........................................CB
Stealing cable from a neighbor by using a splitter: Future jailbird.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
Talking about beer, I stick to Yuengling.
Was introduced to that recently. Not bad for the price.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Having "bare bones basic" cable: .......................Frugal.
Not having cable: ...........................................CB
Stealing cable from a neighbor by using a splitter: Future jailbird.
Darn, no cable,I must be a CB. Oh well, I just celebrated my 20-year hiatus from cable in May........ I kept my last cable bill, it was $19 a month for all the channels? I suppose today that would be $80 a month??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Darn, no cable,I must be a CB. Oh well, I just celebrated my 20-year hiatus from cable in May........ I kept my last cable bill, it was $19 a month for all the channels? I suppose today that would be $80 a month??
Being at least somewhat frugal, I get 65-70 channels (between channels 2 and 99) with my "bare bones basic" cable, for $16/month. I think that so few people know about it and ask for it around here, that the cable company finds it easier to just give us extended basic with the bare bones price. I only know about five people who have bare bones, and they too get all the extended basic channels.

But, some people spend $150/month or so and get digital cable with all the upper channels, music, extra movie channels, and who knows what, lots of stuff like that. If I "over-save" for ER maybe I will use the extra to get that kind of cable service someday. It might be fun.

For years I did not have cable or even have a TV. But when high speed cable internet became available, I got that... and at the time (May, 2000), bare bones cable TV was $11 and they would give me $10 off if I bundled the two. So, for $1/month I could have cable TV. That got me hooked!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My thoughts on regifting:
Kind of off the topic, but the whole holiday gift thing is just a big economic waste. So much money is spent on things that people don't want or don't need. People put themselves in difficult financial positions in order to comply with some unwritten rule regarding gifts. More than one Christmas present for each kid. Gifts to other relatives. Secret Santa at work. Decoration madness. Kid parties with gifts expected. Etc. Back when I used to see the bankruptcy filers many many had huge credit card bills resulting from gifts to relatives, mostly their children.
Martha - I could not agree with you more!! It gets ridiculous around holiday time. Everyone wants to have gift exchanges, etc., etc. I'm to the point that I just don't want or need any more stuff! And the gifts we give just see so meaningless sometimes. In the past, I have gone to a lot of time and effort to pick out what I think is just the right thing for my nieces and nephews. Then I talk to them in the afternoon on Christmas Day, and they don't even remember what I sent them!! My parents also don't "need" anything, so the past few years I have sent nothing except restaurant gift card, which they enjoy immensely.

My other holiday issue over the past few years is the charity thing. I love to give to those less fortunate during the holidays, and have done this for a long time. But now it seems that every group of people (multiple church groups, work groups, even my weight-loss group) adopts a family or something, and all of a sudden there are dozens of worthwhile causes calling for attention. Like I said, I really believe in this, but the sheer numbers are getting out of hand. And if you opt not to support anyone's individual "cause", people think you are just cheap.

Rant over!

CJ
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Frugal or cheap ba$tard... I'd claim neither. And many of the CB examples I've seen here are outright theft to me.

My most important influence where money is concerned was my mother. Some of my most vivid memories are of her and dad when they took us to a restaurant as kids. She would make him add and re-add the check several times then calculate the tip to the penny. Her goal was to find any possible mistake the wait-staff made. Finding the desired mistake, she would then launch into a demeaning public scene. I grew to hate it.

As a result, I really don't like money matters. I just live a simple life without a lot of extravagance. My wife and I are very fortunate that we see this the same way. She's not into jewelry or show, and neither am I. Nor are either of us into the "gotcha" game of birthdays, anniversaries or the manufactured holidays. For Christmas we generally get ourselves something, and call it from each other. Then we send the kids money.

I would rather pay full price on the basis of fair and good quality service, than haggle over a few dollars. I don't add up dinner checks more than to say, "$30... ok - sounds about right". And I'll tip $5 for about anything up to $40. Then I just go to a $10 tip.

Frankly, I've come to believe there's a sort of karmic damage that obsessing about money brings, like it shrinks the souls or something. I've been poor to the point that it occupied every waking moment (and many sleeping ones). The situations that caused that were corrected and, now free from those concerns, I can't think of anything less healthy than going back to it. Now I would cut my hand off before I'd do a single thing on the CB list. And I just don't associate with people that are like that.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I just figured out how to save 200 bucks a year, but I don't know if it's a CB or Frugal thing. I think it's frugal. I insisted that my wife cut my hair. lol. She was vehemently opposed to it, thinking she would screw it up. Well, she cut my hair, and I can't tell the difference between her job and the Hair Cuttery. That used to be about 17 bucks a month. No more! Is that CB or Frugal?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I also agree with Martha that holidays have gotten crazy .So little by little I cut back to the things I really enjoy .It has taken so much stress out of the holidays and lets me savor the parts I love . I cut down on the amount of presents I buy and the amount I spend.I also went to a no brainer buffet instead of juggling a huge sit down dinner .I decorate but not every nook and cranny and I have a few friends over instead of a huge party during the holidays .Not exactly super frugal but it's what I enjoy .
Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here. My brother and his wife received a set of henckel professional cutlery from his SIL (street value $350-$400). They already had a set and regifted it to us. I hardly think this was tacky.
I wouldn't consider having a close relative passing along a nice item to me that he/she had a double of "regifting."
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I now pay about $19 for "basic cable" which is all the local channels plus some cable like Discovery, food network, lots of Spanish stuff, arts network, ed. channel, local goverment, shopping channels, golf, travel and four PBS stations. It would be great to give it up like you have, it wastes so much time.

Frugal: Whenever I want to hang out at a coffee shop, I buy a pound or half pound of ground coffee for home or the office and get a small complementary cup of coffee. Sometimes the clerk gives a discount if you have to wait for the ground beans. I get re-imbursed for the office ground coffee.

CB would be: rinse out the cup and lid and next time bring my own coffee from home. I swear I havenít done this (yet?)!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
Well, I just figured out how to save 200 bucks a year, but I don't know if it's a CB or Frugal thing. I think it's frugal. I insisted that my wife cut my hair. lol. She was vehemently opposed to it, thinking she would screw it up. Well, she cut my hair, and I can't tell the difference between her job and the Hair Cuttery. That used to be about 17 bucks a month. No more! Is that CB or Frugal?
It's very brave!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
Where are YOU going.... my place cost $9 and used to be $8... there are shops that only charge $5... and who gets their hair cut every month??

Is this CB
Old 09-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Hair Cuttery. Fifteen bucks for the cut and two for the tip = 17.00. I could do some shopping, but the places I go to aren't exactly day spas. They're pretty low-rent. However, given the choice between a place that only charges five dollars and my wife cutting my hair, I think I'd actually feel safer having my wife do it.