Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #81
Administrator

We only got cable so we could have a cable modem for the computer. Now I have 108 channels that I don't watch; before I only had one channel to ignore. Although my current cultural knowledge is completely deficient, I don't regret not watching the TV. I would much rather read or waste my time here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can you keep the cable modem internet service and drop the TV service? We used to have cable tv and cable modem internet and we switched our tv service to satellite but just kept the cable modem internet. Years ago you could save $5 a month by having both but there is no longer that discount.

This is with Time Warner Cable Roadrunner.

I wish we could go without any pay TV service. But I just love the Discovery Channels, Bravo, A&E, MSNBC, CNN and Court TV.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
since I can't get reception any other way where I live, I just think of TV as something you pay for.
Understood. I've lived in rural areas and understand your situation. Here in urbanville, we get 18 stations off the air without cable or satellite, so the temptation to watch too much tv is there regardless of whether you subscribe to cable/satellite or not. The 18 stations include all the networks, three PBS stations and a bunch of independents. PBS is the time killer for us. On Friday, there are several concert/music based shows like Austin City Limits and Soundstage. Sunday evening has several drama/mystery/comedy series we're hooked on.

We do our best to keep it under control and not waste too much time.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:40 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Can you keep the cable modem internet service and drop the TV service?
the one time I did have cable, it was because they wouldn't give me cable modem service without it and DSL was not available. when I complained, the acted like cable tv was the "carrier" and I wouldn't complain about being made to get local phone service if I wanted long distance. Weird attitude.

Where I live now, there is no DSL, but I can purchase cable modem without cable TV and that's what I do.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
PBS is the time killer for us. On Friday, there are several concert/music based shows like Austin City Limits and Soundstage. Sunday evening has several drama/mystery/comedy series we're hooked on.

We do our best to keep it under control and not waste too much time.
When I could get reception, I watched PBS. Austin City Limits was also a favourite. One thing about PBS, though--as its funding gets cut, the spiels between programs seem to resemble commercials more and more. Although not as long, one wonders how long before it's just another commercial network.

To get back on topic, I'll make a nomination for CB:

When I was in university, I lived with some guys who would bring a paper shopping bag into public toilet stalls and "milk" TP into the bag to avoid buying the stuff. To me this is over the top, and probably constitutes theft.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To get back on topic, I'll make a nomination for CB:

When I was in university, I lived with some guys who would bring a paper shopping bag into public toilet stalls and "milk" TP into the bag to avoid buying the stuff. To me this is over the top, and probably constitutes theft.
Probably? What is the source of your doubt? :confused: I would think that the TP wasn't there for them to allow the general public to replenish their home supplies with as much free TP as they wanted - - it was there for people to use if needed in that facility.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a plethora of worthwhile shows on cable, leading with "How Things are Made" and "Dirty Jobs." I would also include "Boneyard" and "Modern Marvels" at the top of the list.

Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Catch and Lobster Wars are not bad but all contain WAY to many episodes. Perhaps six of each would do.

Pretty much everything on Discovery and The History Channel is ok at a minimum.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Yep - PBS, History, Discovery.

NOW! - somebody convince me - Football is not a drug, football is not a drug, football is not a drug.

heh heh heh heh heh heh -well at least soooo far not watching local High School Football on Friday night - like I did in Louisiana(Direct Tv)
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
Hair Cuttery. Fifteen bucks for the cut and two for the tip = 17.00. I could do some shopping, but the places I go to aren't exactly day spas. They're pretty low-rent. However, given the choice between a place that only charges five dollars and my wife cutting my hair, I think I'd actually feel safer having my wife do it.
My mom always used to cut my dad's hair (he was bald on top) and always did a very professional looking job.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
DSL instead of Cable
Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

DSL instead of Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We only got cable so we could have a cable modem for the computer.
If you have an "old fashion" "land line" telephone, check with your phone company about DSL. AT&T has some incredible deals !

Yes, it is slower than cable, but unless you do a lot of large downloads you probably won't notice the difference except for the money you save !
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
the one time I did have cable, it was because they wouldn't give me cable modem service without it and DSL was not available. when I complained, the acted like cable tv was the "carrier" and I wouldn't complain about being made to get local phone service if I wanted long distance. Weird attitude.

Where I live now, there is no DSL, but I can purchase cable modem without cable TV and that's what I do.

I don't know if they figured out how to fix this yet, but at least as of a few years ago, the cable companies had no way to disable the basic cable signal in their cable lines - which means that even if they sell you just the cable broadband w/o the cable TV, all you need to do is splice the line and feed it to your TV to get the basic cable service. Of course, that would be illegal...and you'd really only save a few bucks a month, but may be useful information for some of you out there

Ah, and yes, doing so would qualify you for being a CB!
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #92

When we canceled our cable tv and kept just the cable modem service, they came out, climbed the pole in the back yard and installed a filter on our line. At least that's what they told us it was.......
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Frugal Yes! Cheap No!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #94
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
When we canceled our cable tv and kept just the cable modem service, they came out, climbed the pole in the back yard and installed a filter on our line. At least that's what they told us it was.......
It was those nice men from the NSA.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #95
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
My other holiday issue over the past few years is the charity thing. I love to give to those less fortunate during the holidays, and have done this for a long time. But now it seems that every group of people (multiple church groups, work groups, even my weight-loss group) adopts a family or something, and all of a sudden there are dozens of worthwhile causes calling for attention. Like I said, I really believe in this, but the sheer numbers are getting out of hand. And if you opt not to support anyone's individual "cause", people think you are just cheap.

Rant over!

CJ
For the last few years, I've made a deal with my girlfriend. We buy each other a thoughtful gift of around $10 and then we make a donation together to a needy cause. There are several organizations that allow you to purchase animals/livestock for needy villages around the world.
As an alternative, I've recently discovered (recently meaning earlier this morning) that local foodbanks can purchase excess pallets of food by the pound. In my local case, they buy canned food for 18 cents per pound, and from what I saw it is brand name quality items. This is potentially a way to make a huge food donation that fits with my "dollar stretching" mindset.
dandan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandan14 View Post
I've recently discovered (recently meaning earlier this morning) that local foodbanks can purchase excess pallets of food by the pound. In my local case, they buy canned food for 18 cents per pound, and from what I saw it is brand name quality items. This is potentially a way to make a huge food donation that fits with my "dollar stretching" mindset.
Could you share the details? Sounds like a great idea!
Old 09-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #97
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Could you share the details? Sounds like a great idea!
Our local foodbank makes their purchases through "America's Second Harvest" (secondharvest.org).
dandan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #98

There's a fairly good article today on sfgate that explores the differences between the frugal and cheapskates:

MONEY TALES / Anatomy of a cheapskate
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Fireup, That reminds me of a story I heard (no idea whether it's true) of a guy that got some huge amount of frequent flier miles (like a million) by buying pudding cups with a promotion, then donating them to a food shelf and taking the tax deduction.

How's this for frugal? I still use Managing Your Money 12 (for DOS)!

Too old and set in my ways, I guess. The only disadvantage is that it predicts my net worth in 2000!
waltwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #100
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwill8 View Post
Fireup, That reminds me of a story I heard (no idea whether it's true) of a guy that got some huge amount of frequent flier miles (like a million) by buying pudding cups with a promotion, then donating them to a food shelf and taking the tax deduction.
It's true:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Pudding Air Travel Redemption