Join Early Retirement Today

Are You Good With Money?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are You Good With Money?

Are You “Good with Money?” | The 10th Man Investment Newsletter | Mauldin Economics

Straightforward quality article about dealing with money before and after retirement. This is a bit different from the heavily plowed furrows that we may see all day every day.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Good to see me and my fellow Texans are number one!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

That's me, I am that article.

Including never making more than 5 figures when I was working and becoming a millionaire not withstanding.

Yeah, good stuff and easy too.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Add that to the scorpions and rattlesnakes in your Texas sales spiel.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Based on the article my money management skills are truly awesome.

In any case I am very comfortably retired. And, can not even remotely be accused of being Texan.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Based on the article my money management skills are truly awesome.
Yep, I do all those things too.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great basic info that sums it up nicely. It's not all that complicated.
I always thought I was good with money since I tend to hang onto it.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

"3) Maybe Invest It. I say maybe, because investing isn’t for everyone. Most people are bad investors. Most people are better off with cash in a bank account or CD."

Hopefully few are stupid enough to take this advice.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Simple, not easy as I often say. I used to tell my employees (who made well above average wages) time and time again, you have to live below your means if you ever want to reach financial independence and retire - whether you make $40K/yr or $400K/yr. But I was usually met with 'we don't want to learn about investing, just tell us what stocks to buy that'll make us rich' or 'yeah, easy for you to say since you make more than we do.' They never could grasp it's not how much you make as much as how much you keep...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
"3) Maybe Invest It. I say maybe, because investing isn’t for everyone. Most people are bad investors. Most people are better off with cash in a bank account or CD."

I've known and still know plenty people for whom this is excellent advice. If you avoid fire, you won"t get burned.

One of my brothers is very comfortably retired in spite of never making a high salary, and he has always looked for and bought the best CDs he could finds, and kept it up.

Ha
Old 04-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The chart showing the average credit score getting progressively higher as one goes north is very interesting.

Some time ago, I read that people in colder climates tend to be more independent and self-reliant. Perhaps that trait, which is driven by the required survival skills due to the environment, also drives them to borrow money less.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

According to the article, I'm good with money. Probably, but I could have saved more when I was young.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I've known and still know plenty people for whom this is excellent advice. If you avoid fire, you won"t get burned.

One of my brothers is very comfortably retired in spite of never making a high salary, and he has always looked for and bought the best CDs he could finds, and kept it up.

Ha
I agree. Even with a less than optimal plan you can exceed about 95% of the general population.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great simple article, easy to read.

This jumped out at me.

"People lament the tragic state of financial literacy in this country. It is indeed tragic. But imagine for a second that President XXXX would put aside a billion dollars for financial education. Basic financial literacy, balancing a checkbook, paying taxes, that kind of stuff."

Back in the 70s when I was in HS these subjects were taught for a whole semester. We even went through the 1040 forms and simulated our own businesses for a few weeks. Public High School, not some business course for braniac teenagers. I can't imagine anyone not knowing how to do this.

Is this not curriculum today? I know Charles J Givens always said Americans were financially illiterate, but was he exaggerating? Or not?

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #15

Quote:
The funny thing about being good with money is that it doesn’t necessarily mean being smart. I know plenty of dumb people who are great with money. I know certifiable geniuses who always seem to be broke. I do think there is a correlation with intelligence, but I think it is rather weak. Maybe even negative at the upper reaches of IQ.
This is a remarkable observation. I don't know if it's generally true, but I do know a person who takes pride in his IQ, yet has lived on a shoestring all his life and has been deeply in debt for decades. Relatives have bailed him out repeatedly but he gets right back in trouble again. He belongs to several elite societies where an astronomical IQ is the only criterion for membership. He also likes to brag about what a smart businessman he is, a "highly respected expert in his field." He has had his own one-man business for 40 years but has run it more like a hobby than a business. It's worth far less today than it was 20 years ago, and is mortgaged to the hilt.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
Back in the 70s when I was in HS these subjects were taught for a whole semester. We even went through the 1040 forms and simulated our own businesses for a few weeks. Public High School, not some business course for braniac teenagers. I can't imagine anyone not knowing how to do this.
Without question the two most useful classes I had in high school were typing and a class in personal finance. The one in personal finance was one that I actually enjoyed to the extent that I'd read ahead of the material to be covered. Then in class if I nodded off the teacher would be a bit frustrated when she directed a question at me and I knew the answer. But it was an optional class and not required. I just took it because I knew it would be of practical use later, unlike most classes, which I considered as useful as "underwater basketweaving".
Old 04-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #17

Didn't read the article but I know I am great with money. Made a ton, gave away a ton , and still have a ton. Money just seems to come my way. Seems second nature to me but I know for most people it is not.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post

While this may not be the best investment advice, putting money in a CD will do a lot more for your retirement than blowing it on beer or speedboats or vacations in Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
The chart showing the average credit score getting progressively higher as one goes north is very interesting.

Some time ago, I read that people in colder climates tend to be more independent and self-reliant. Perhaps that trait, which is driven by the required survival skills due to the environment, also drives them to borrow money less.
I agree... Surviving harsh long winters and retiring comfortably both require the mindset of foregoing comforts today to ensure later success.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is a bit different from the heavily plowed furrows that we may see all day every day.

Ha
I don't know that it's really all that different from many other similar articles I've read - except perhaps for the map showing variations in average credit scores from state to state. This is not meant to criticize, as the info is good basic advice, that many would do well to follow. For us folk here, it's fun to read, and it confirms that we are all good with money.

I agree with his general thoughts on how there isn't necessarily a correlation between intelligence and financial sense - or between financial sense and anything else, really.

Thanks for posting this. I have a good friend who I dearly wish would follow the advice in this article. I doubt that she'll ever take it fully on board, but I have at least been able to coax her away from the edge of financial disaster.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I agree with his general thoughts on how there isn't necessarily a correlation between intelligence and financial sense - or between financial sense and anything else, really.
That was one of the frustrating things with my ex. She was otherwise very intelligent but simply could not deal with handling money. When she wanted to take out a loan to go on a trip it was over. I saw no future (at least not a good one) going down that road.