Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Yes, advertising such as TV tries to work on our psyche and believe we aren't happy until we get their product. For some things it works, for others it doesn't. For me, just one walk down the laundry detergent isle and noticing all the dizzying brands out there is nearly crazy. I'm happy just to get the value brand.
We are happy not not purchase anything at all.

Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Since the 60k mark is an average, the salient compairison would be to take the average income for where you live and multiply that by 1.2 to arrive at the comfort level point needed for the max happiness level. This isn't the only happiness survey to conclude happiness requires a comfortable margin but having far more than the average income level does not give more happiness.

There is probably also a function that those who achieve a 20% over the avg income for where they live also have an emotional governance to be happy with enough and not always have grasp to for more and more. An ability to be able to reach satisfaction has to enter into it.
In our neighborhood in West Vancouver, there are corporate types in $6 million homes that have all the brands, and then there are retirees in their 80s who have to make do. This creates an interesting mix of shops and restaurants where you are welcome no matter what.

Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I think you are right. Income, clothing, cars and homes do affect how we are perceived by others (and how we perceive others). But I think that many people on this board really don't care how they are perceived by others. Attitude, I think, is the key. That's why we have so many people living happily on what might otherwise be considered a middle class income. Maybe we are wired differently.

I don't really know how people perceive DW and me. Our careers are not considered lucrative or prestigious, we drive low key Japanese cars, our house is in a middle class neighborhood, etc... Just looking at how we live, there is no way any one could guess we are comfortably in the top tax bracket (we live on only 17% of our gross income, the rest goes to taxes and Vanguard and remains unseen from the public). For all intended purposes, we look squarely middle class. It doesn't bother us at all. When people that I perceive as "rich" invite us for a cocktail party at their 5,000 sq. ft. house with pool, I feel no shame parking my Toyota in their driveway and sporting my well-cut Banana Republic suit in the middle of a sea of Armani suits. And I feel no shame hosting a dinner party for those "rich" people in my "humble adobe" either. ...
Yes I think if you have the right attitude, people will accept you no matter what you wear and drive. Many people drive 10yo cars and older but have a comfortable income around here.

Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
My wife and I, combined, get, after taxes, around 80.000 euros/year, with adjustment to the cost of living index. No family charges. What would our lifestyle in the USA be like?
Donīt worry, we arenīt about to impose ourselves on you all! If we were younger....
Itīs yet another of my absurd questions.....
We have earnings in the same league but do not spend nearly all of it. Part of that is that we spend half the year in Mexico where costs are about 30% to 50% of what they are in Vancouver Canada.

We are still groping our way in this split life but it seems to be working out cheaper than just staying in Vancouver all year. Part of that is that we rent out our Vancouver place for the winter.

For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #82
Dryer sheet aficionado
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I'm happier at 30K retired than I was at $75K working.
Would've been nicer if you'd found a way to be 75k retired.

oilspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:41 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I, too am much happier at 54.000 euros ERed than at 65.000 working. Though I am more bored.

I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote