Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you retired from gainful employment?
Yes, I'm fully retired. 52 33.77%
Yes, I'm mostly retired. 12 7.79%
No, but I expect to retire within 5 years. 60 38.96%
No, and I expect to retire more than 5 years from now. 30 19.48%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Are you retired?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff

...retired on the Web...
That's a pretty accurate description of my situation.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dex -- Sure did!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #23

It's interesting that our culture generally can accept/understand that a non-working husband is "retired" even if his wife still works.

OTOH a wife who is retired with working husband is often considered a stay at home mom, or "non-working spouse" not "retired."

Present company seems much more enlightened, I hasten to add.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #24

I would think it boils down to whether you need the working spouse's income to live in the manner you wish. If your pension, SS, nest egg, can support your lifestyle now and in the future, then you would be retired, IMO. However, if you need to have your spouse work (even for health insurance), I would say it's a bit of a fudge to call yourself ER'd.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo
Fully retired - spending savings now - CDs for the next 10 years - then start tapping the IRA/401K.
It is a strange feeling to watch my checking account balence go down - and will be even stranger to elect to take a CD instead of rolling it back..........
Same here. Been at it a while. It is a very strange feeling. Like picking vegetables without planting another crop... ever. May be best not to think about it, just enjoy retirement, as you are doing. The cashing in of CDs is like destroying DWs empire. Which it is, she was the manager of CDs all these years. Did a very good job of it, too. Just another chapter in (financial) life. Non-CD investments doing well, so I won't complain. But it is a strange and sometimes unsettling feeling.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #26

It's nuts to debate the meaning of "retired". When you are no longer working whether for fun or money, you are by definition retired from the workforce regardless of your spouse's working status. If your spouse is still working, he/she is not retired. There is no such thing as partially retired or semi-retired. You are either retired or not.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #27

By these definitions I have been retired for more than two years:

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
* no longer active in your work or profession
* emeritus: honorably retired from assigned duties and retaining your title along with the additional title `emeritus' as in `professor emeritus'; `retired from assigned duties' need not imply that one is inactive
But, I have a couple of paychecks still coming to me, so, by the OP's definitions, I'm not sure :

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
Respond with option 1 only if you have NO earned income, and you pay ALL of your living expenses with passive income, or by drawing down your savings, and you reasonably expect to continue doing that for the remainder of your life.

Respond with option 2 only if you pay more than half your living expenses with passive income or savings, and you reasonably expect to continue doing that for the remainder of your life. (Or, you are mostly retired and plan to transition to being fully retired someday)

Otherwise, select option 3 or 4.
Since it's pretty passive (I don't go to work and they pay me) I'm going to claim that option #1 took place when I was 45.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram
I would probably agree but none of the options seemed to capture my situation.
Not true. The word "you" can be singular or plural.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly
Like picking vegetables without planting another crop... ever.
I like the analogy of harvesting fruit trees. The crop grows whether I water & fertilize or not!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
It's nuts to debate the meaning of "retired". When you are no longer working whether for fun or money, you are by definition retired from the workforce regardless of your spouse's working status. If your spouse is still working, he/she is not retired. There is no such thing as partially retired or semi-retired. You are either retired or not.
It's interesting that you consider the debate to be "nuts", and then you participate in it! LOL. You must be comfortable with the fact that you are nuts too.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
It's interesting that our culture generally can accept/understand that a non-working husband is "retired" even if his wife still works.

OTOH a wife who is retired with working husband is often considered a stay at home mom, or "non-working spouse" not "retired."

hmmm.... I guess that means my ex retired at age 27. Course, she had to "unretire" after our divorce.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl

3 years ago daughter graduated and started to work - 6 months later got a chance to move jobs, same money but lots of other good reasons I wanted it. Told DW we didn't need her salary any longer to FIRE at 55, so when we moved she stopped working to enjoy life and now we always tell folks that she Retired at 48, since it was her choice and we don't need the income.