Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am rich. I do not have to work, I have enough money to maintain a very comfortable lifestyle and am able to meet my obligations. The rest is just a numbers game.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slarty View Post
...I always wondered how people made it all the way to $5M or $100M without deciding to retire way before then...
I've wondered that myself many times.

After you made a few million, what's the point of wanting more than you will ever spend? Why not relax, enjoy the short few years of life you have left and give someone else a chance to do the same?

For some, it's never enough.

For others, it's greed.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know some people in the >$100M category that still work. They enjoy working too much to quit. Of course, they are busy running the company they created.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I know some people in the >$100M category that still work. They enjoy working too much to quit. Of course, they are busy running the company they created.

Audrey
And they can't think of anything less stressful / more fun / different / more meaningful to do?

Sometimes when you spend the majority of your life doing something, it sucks so much life out of you that you don't know anything else.

So the real question is, do they really enjoy it so much as not to quit, or it it because they spent so much time working that they never had the free time to develop fun hobbies.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think I could handle the first million, but WTF would we do with the extra nine?!?
Need some bling for your surfboard?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
And they can't think of anything less stressful / more fun / different / more meaningful to do?

Sometimes when you spend the majority of your life doing something, it sucks so much life out of you that you don't know anything else.

So the real question is, do they really enjoy it so much as not to quit, or it it because they spent so much time working that they never had the free time to develop fun hobbies.
IMO, they absolutely thrive on their company. Their company is their life. It's stress in the most positive sense. Not my cup of tea, but I understand that it can be someone else's.

Think Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs....

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post

It may be a minority, but some people actually thrive on work, I know a few, nothing wrong with that. I'm not rich by any stretch, but I'm beyond FI, and I wouldn't quit yet. Work can be the most meaningful activity for some people, not that other activities aren't as well. I'm always puzzled by people who come on here with the POV that work is inherently "bad." Live and let live...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
IMO, they absolutely thrive on their company. Their company is their life. It's stress in the most positive sense. Not my cup of tea, but I understand that it can be someone else's.

Think Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs....

Audrey
I agree, and we need folks like these to steer our ships of industry. My own megacorp used to be privately owned, then it went public a few years ago and is now being bought by a different privately owned megacorp. Our CEO is already a multi-billionaire in his early 40's, and it was announced last week that he will be staying on as chairman of the board of the acquiring company. With a wife and 8 children you'd think he would want to RE, but work is a huge part of who he is, plus he is a big philanthropist....
Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm always puzzled by people who come on here with the POV that work is inherently "bad."
Ok, turn in your badge and your secret decoder ring...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #30

I just need 1M.....will take me a whole lifetime to spend that after retiring.....unless the price of oils and canvases go up......then I might need a bit more
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #31

The calculators generally say 1 million to about 1.4 million for my current lifestyle. I think I could probably make it on 0.6 million if I was willing to cut back and take a risk. Cautious about that in case I'm wrong or market breaks bad. When I pile on all the "would like to have" stuff that isn't really necessary, I come out to about 2.0 to 2.5 million, but realistically that would take me so long to accumulate I will never go for that. I'd have to work so long there would not be much retirement time left to enjoy it.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

It depends on how you define "rich". My personal concept of (financially) rich is having sufficient net worth to generate income for all one's needs in the long term. That implies a minimal risk of running out of money. In addition, it means having choices. If someone met the above criteria but could not afford to (for example) build a dream home or take a world tour, I woul consider that person "affluent" but not "rich".

I guess I don't quite fit with the studies that show that people generally think of "rich" people having twice their net worth. I think $5-10 million sounds like a good range. That's 2-4 times my current NW.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #33

I have no desire to be the richest person in the cemetery.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

First... is rich 'poorer' than wealthy? I never knew which one was supposed to have more money....

But to me RICH is truly rich (when we are only talking money).... not 'just enough' to live on....

And you could be very comfortable, but still not rich...

I would define 'rich' as in the $10 million range as the small end... and more likely $25 million... IOW, if you can spend 1/2 mill or 1 mill a year... you are rich...

When you talk about spending $40k per year... that is just 'middle class'...

And, as some say, some people thrive on their 'work'.. true, they do NOT have to do it, but love to do it... we have a few rich people as tenants in our building, and they do what they want, when they want... so what is different than what you are doing? They just make money at doing it...

I interviewed with a company founder who is still 'working'... but only works 24 hrs per week.... he is just making sure that the company is still going the direction he wants it going... others are doing the actual 'real' work...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm always puzzled by people who come on here with the POV that work is inherently "bad." Live and let live...
I know. I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell you. I come to this site about retiring early and it's filled with these people that don't want to work forever.

Other things that have surprised me in the past:

Indian restaurants sell Indian food (haven't been able to find one with a good burger yet)

I was amazed that most of the people in Chinatown were Chinese or of Chinese descent.

When I was a kid, a happy meal was both a meal and caused some degree of happiness
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

i am rich with good friends and love of life and laughter.

how was that for today's philosophy?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My income exceeds my outgo. The house is warm enough. I feed myself, a cat, and many birds and squirrels. I have broadband. I can wait for the snow to melt.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #38

Simple spreadsheet says that I could have $8-10mm in today's dollars if I kept working until I was 65 on my current path. That doesn't seem like enough to buy a congressman with, though, so I don't know if I'd consider that rich.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

That's pretty funny. You give me $2M today and I quit tomorrow. Heck, you give me $1M today and I seriously consider quitting tomorrow.

For some people, being "rich" is all about a number in an account statement. For me, "rich" is a state of mind about your overall quality of life. One's monetary condition is a part of that, but not the end-all-be-all. The financial security to enjoy one's own life is what I think makes someone rich.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I know. I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell you. I come to this site about retiring early and it's filled with these people that don't want to work forever.
That's not the point that was made by Midpack and others.

The point was that there seems to be an intolerance for people who DO want to continue working.

Most of us feel that being told "you can't stop working!" is not acceptable.

Why is it any more acceptable for any of us to tell people "you can't keep working!" when they've accumulated more than we would need to retire?

I look at it this way. I'd have loved to have become a major league pitcher. If I was 25 today and was one of the top pitchers on a MLB team, I'd be making millions a year. Would I pitch just 2-3 years, and retire after I had socked away more money than I could ever imagine spending in my life? Very doubtful, I'd probably still enjoy competing and associating with the very best in my profession. Maybe I'd want to try to break some records, and be remembered as one of the greats. The money would be almost incidental.

I'd guess many of these guys are living a parallel dream.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote