Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
From my perspective, I envy my employees who for the most part get to forget about work when they leave each day
You might be surprised many employees do think about work after working hours.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

And how many of us don't think about work even during working hours.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think very few on this board could get to the 25 mill range... some probably could get to the 10 mill range...

I know that I would have had to change my whole attitude to get to even the 10 mill level.... I am just looking to get to the 2 mill range in the next decade or so...

But, to each their own... some want money, others want something else... I chose something else... a balanced life.... (at least for me)...
Old 03-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of the great fears I have - is getting too much in mils or even 'stuff.'

Then I'm - yuck! back at work cause I'll feel 'responsible' to manage it 'properly' or worst yet - performing proper mainatenance on 'stuff', adult toys of sufficient complexity and size, etc. Then who owns who - yeah I know they are inert - but!

A cheap bum with less than a couple mil in Salvation Army used overalls and a used pickup/now SUV with a very low profile is just ducky with me.

heh heh heh - .
Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Tell you what. Feel free to come over to my place any time, and you can wash my car, vacuum my carpets, iron my shirts, rake my leaves, shovel my snow, cut my grass, etc. All without pay, natch.

You can set your own hours, prioritize your tasks, and work at your own pace; so I know that you'll enjoy yourself, and I'll be happy, too!
I already do all these things for other people free of charge (what can I say I am just a nice guy!). I'll just add you to my list. Saturday 7:00 am would work for you? Oh and I don't rake leaves, hate that. The rest I actually like doing. I love vacuuming and I am actually very good at ironing shirts. I also like shoveling snow (good exercise). I don't mind washing (and waxing) the car and I wouldn't mind cutting the grass though, if you have snow on the ground, it might seem a bit premature. I work fast, I like to be efficient when I work, whether it's paid work or not. I should be done by noon.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #86

The more you have, the more you have to worry about losing it. We work harder and harder until we become too stressed out.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
And how many of us don't think about work even during working hours.
That's because we are so engrossed in our work.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #88

Quote:
Speak for yourself!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I already do all these things for other people free of charge (what can I say I am just a nice guy!). I'll just add you to my list. Saturday 7:00 am would work for you? Oh and I don't rake leaves, hate that. The rest I actually like doing. I love vacuuming and I am actually very good at ironing shirts. I also like shoveling snow (good exercise). I don't mind washing (and waxing) the car and I wouldn't mind cutting the grass though, if you have snow on the ground, it might seem a bit premature. I work fast, I like to be efficient when I work, whether it's paid work or not. I should be done by noon.
Sounds great! I'll leave the door open for you. Please help yourself to whatever you want in the fridge.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I started working at a real job I 'felt' that if I had 1 mil in retirement we could officially retire. Now I feel that we need 2mil minimum, that would be best, b/c who knows if SS will be there when I am eligible?
Now while I am working towards the 2mil I feel that when the house is paid off and the kids are moved out and independent, I could drop to part time and semi-retire.
The biggest concern is health insurance before medicare. If I work two 10 hour shifts and continue to draw benefits that would cover that aspect....
Old 03-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #91

Quote:

Then I'm - yuck! back at work cause I'll feel 'responsible' to manage it 'properly' or worst yet - performing proper mainatenance on 'stuff', adult toys of sufficient complexity and size, etc. Then who owns who - yeah I know they are inert - but!
Spot on! A friends brother is CEO of a fortune 500 company and easily qualifies for the +25M pool. They were at the "compound" over Christmas ... the guys wife has the full time job of managing the crews that work property (full time lanscape crew and house cleaners ...). Constant state of renovation, so she's always haggling with contractors (work quality ... not price). So the guest party moves from the pool to the jacuzzi only to find it's broken. She spends the rest of the morning triing to get someone to fix it. Didn't happen until everyone left. It's a different life.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yup, maybe not your well cared for employees (you are a good manager, right?), but I remember my 39th birthday w/my family at the restaurant. While eating, I was consumed by the stress at work and thinking of all the stuff I better do "or else" my clients would be yelling at me for taking so long to get back to them... but the problem was that I had at least double a normal workload yet was told I just had to make due. I'll never forget that day!