Are you still holding short-term bond?

Spanky

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The return of short-term bond has been dismal the last two years. Any plan of ditching it?

I'm just sitting in the money market account at my brokerage - 3.20 right now. Has been slowly rising each week, expect it to continue to rise as the fed brings rate up....I occasionally make a quick trade and then park it back into the MMF.

The current thinking is that the Fed will move short rates up to 4.5%-5%, which should mean a bit more pain for short duration bonds. I have most of my fixed income portfolio in cash.

My current plan is to ride up the rate increases with my Vanguard Short-Term Investment Grade and GNMA funds.  I am currently reinvesting those dividends.  I also hold some Vanguard Intermediate-Term Investment Grade that I plan to sell and buy a few preferred stocks with the proceeds.

Never did have much of anything in bonds with exception of a few balanced mutual funds which have not performed that well. Keeping virtually all of my 'fixed income' in cash at the moment at ING.

Not in short term bonds already, but may make a move soon to vanguard short term bond of some sort. I think the interest rate increases will be over in another 0.5% increase or maybe 1.0%.

A local bank is offering a 4.5% 1 yr. CD. I'm moving a bunch out of the Vanguard MMF to jump on this rate.

BUM said:
A local bank is offering a 4.5% 1 yr. CD. I'm moving a bunch out of the Vanguard MMF to jump on this rate.

Emmigrant is currently paying 4% on just a savings account. I would not lock up the money for a year, there is a good chance that the rate will go up! - I've got my cash parked there currently.

I am slowly tiptoeing back into modestly longer maturities, 5 years or so.  I think the Fed is going to stop raising rates soon.

Agreed. Think the new guy has to do one or two more bumps to make a point he is an inflation fighter and then back off before the country goes into recession.... for a soft landing.

Yes still holding it for money that I may spend in the next 5 years. I don't worry about the return so much, at times money markets will outperform, but on average the fund will win. I have no ability to predict the direction of interest rates. I did move some cash into CDs this year, and I'm not convinced it was worth the hassle.

If history os of any guidance, short-term bond funds should outperform money market funds in the long run. I intend to keep the bond funds.

Back
Top Bottom