Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you FI but not yet RE? Is there anyone? (Choices below are yearly expenses as a percent of inv
3.75-4.0% 28 50.00%
3.5-3.75% 4 7.14%
3.0-3.5% 7 12.50%
2.5%-3.0% 6 10.71%
<2.5% 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Are you to chicken to RE?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by DFW_M5

I am expecting year over year out of pocket premium cost increases to continue at 15%/yr which is the cap that my former company has implemented starting next year.
If you have those anticipated 15%/yr health care costs included in your RE budget and are at 3.75%, things are looking good! Especially since, as you said, you can trade down from the McMansion and lower that WR rate to even less. Good for you!

It sounds like you'd be pleased to find a job for the next couple of years. Or something part time. But isn't it great to know you don't have to accept a situation that you don't want?

"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a great poll to call out the chickens

Our current SWR is at about 3.72% (The "big crash" of February-March temporarily knocked me over 3.75, but now we're back under)

I am 44. I am planning on 6/15/07 RE date (vacation will ride the actual date out to 8/6/07 - but I haven't yet officially announced).

Reasons I am delaying FI
1) 3 kids, ages 6, 10, 12. I have most of their college covered in the Guaranteed Tuition program. But the two older ones are currently getting braces, so I want to make sure I milk that benefit for close to $4k before I quit (plus I got Invisalign braces for myself - so that's another $2k in benefits)

2) The last of my stock options vest on 7/20/07, not a huge amount, but I hate leaving that $ on the table

3) Wanted to work past the date my '07 raise kicks in (it helps with the value of the pension - but it turns out it is a large one - so, of course, it becomes yet another factor in making me wonder about the intelligence of my RE)

4) We have a few large expenses we want to take care of (mostly remodeling) before I bail...

5) Health insurance really scares me

6) Deep down, the thought of not having a job makes me uneasy....

I had thought about going until I turned 45 ( Jan 08) - but I just don't think I can take it anymore - in fact, right now, even June 15 seems too far away.......
genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #64

Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Although I agree with Ha's post, I also admit that I am chicken when it comes to bungee jumping.
You might want to start sky diving first.
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #65

Originally Posted by Spanky
You might want to start sky diving first.

Okay, Spanky, I admit that I'm too chicken to sky dive too.

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote