Re: Are you to chicken to RE?
This is a great poll to call out the chickens
Our current SWR is at about 3.72% (The "big crash" of February-March temporarily knocked me over 3.75, but now we're back under)
I am 44. I am planning on 6/15/07 RE date (vacation will ride the actual date out to 8/6/07 - but I haven't yet officially announced).
Reasons I am delaying FI
1) 3 kids, ages 6, 10, 12. I have most of their college covered in the Guaranteed Tuition program. But the two older ones are currently getting braces, so I want to make sure I milk that benefit for close to $4k before I quit (plus I got Invisalign braces for myself - so that's another $2k in benefits)
2) The last of my stock options vest on 7/20/07, not a huge amount, but I hate leaving that $ on the table
3) Wanted to work past the date my '07 raise kicks in (it helps with the value of the pension - but it turns out it is a large one - so, of course, it becomes yet another factor in making me wonder about the intelligence of my RE)
4) We have a few large expenses we want to take care of (mostly remodeling) before I bail...
5) Health insurance really scares me
6) Deep down, the thought of not having a job makes me uneasy....
I had thought about going until I turned 45 ( Jan 08) - but I just don't think I can take it anymore - in fact, right now, even June 15 seems too far away.......