Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
It jives with the National Debt. The US National Debt is currently about $15 trillion, which divided among the 300 million populace is $50,000 per person. That means for each 10 people with $0 net worth there is one person with 10x$50,000 = $500,000. That's 1 in 11, or 9%. A household of 2 such people has twice that, or $1 million.
The liability for the national debt is shared by people and businesses. The distribution of wealth is not, because the wealth of businesses is already counted in the wealth of people.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I don't see any value in determine which percentile I fit into - worldwide, US, or even just my neighborhood.

I'm doing just fine and I hope others are too. I don't aspire to be better than the Joneses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I think it can be useful in a general way. Say that the lifestyle and income that makes you "just fine" is $X in the area where you live and spend. If you look and see that in an area you're considering moving to that $X would put you in the bottom 10%, you might take the implications of that into consideration.

But, yes, being "happy" with your own situation totally independent of where you fit in with your neighbors is a nice trait to develop.
While one should not spend too much time comparing himself to the Jones, defining a minimum level of comfort for happiness is not easy in the absolute sense.

Even a homeless man is comfortable and relatively safe sleeping in a back alley, compared to a Neanderthal man who had to watch out for sabertooth tigers loitering outside his cave.

If I were in a 3rd world country like Bangladesh or a sub-Saharan country, what I considered necessary for happiness would be a lot lower than what I enjoy now, even though I have always been LBYM.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
there are a LOT of people in the world
and a lot of them don't have squat.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I am not in the top 1%. I would retire immediately if I had $871,320 in investable assets.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is a great website that gives a glimpse into the economic life of families across the globe. https://www.gapminder.org/dollar-street/matrix
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWillRetire View Post
Here is a great website that gives a glimpse into the economic life of families across the globe. https://www.gapminder.org/dollar-street/matrix
Very informative and interesting. I can learn a lot from this.

For example, looking at the Chinese family with income of $10K/month on the top row, rightmost column:

Quote:
The Bi family purchases all their food supplies from the local market, which costs 30% of their income. The drinking water is purchased from the market and gets delivered to their house, costing up to 10% of their income.
Wow! Water costing them $1K/month? I knew China had a problem with water availability, but did not know it was this bad. And what's the problem with food?

Makes me appreciate life in the US more. We have so much resource to be able to waste everything.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWillRetire View Post
Great site.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep in mind that 50% of the people on this planet don't own a pair of shoes.
joel2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Very informative and interesting. I can learn a lot from this.

For example, looking at the Chinese family with income of $10K/month on the top row, rightmost column:

Wow! Water costing them $1K/month? I knew China had a problem with water availability, but did not know it was this bad. And what's the problem with food?

Makes me appreciate life in the US more. We have so much resource to be able to waste everything.
Food products are routinely adulterated in China...remember the milk scare?

Not too long ago there were articles about families purchasing baby formula from Australia instead of in China.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
What astonishes me in those statistics is that roughly one out of every 10 households in the US has a $1M+ net worth.
But there are a lot of people in CA and NY and net worth includes the house. Probably applies to all the west coast and the east coast north of DC.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:58 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Don't we just really care about how we compare in our "Home" countries?
Old 11-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #32
Gone but not forgotten

If just 15 citizens would turn over their money to the people of the US, every man, woman and child would receive more than $2500.00.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Some of us (me) wouldn't want to live in the Bay Area even if we were in the top .000001%... However, it "was" a nice place to visit a few decades back.
If I wasn't from here with all my friends and family here, I probably wouldn't want to live here either. Mostly because of the high volume of traffic.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #34

Am I top 1% ?

Well, my mum says I'm special...
Old 11-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #35

Top 1% in the US in terms of net worth? Probably not. Retired (at 59) and with enough assets for the both of us to live very comfortably for the rest of our lives, yep. In that sense, maybe top 1% after all.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #36

Doesn't really matter to me. Have more than I can spend on things I care about, same wife for 48 years, 2 great kids and 6 Gk's. I'm pretty happy except for internal angst that has absolutely nothing to do with money.

In traveling to third world I was struck by how totally happy, content, and friendly most of the rural folks were in countries averaging $2-3 a day income. Of course, some were starting to use TV's connected to car batteries so now I'm sure they'll all realize they should be miserable and their families aren't all that important.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
While one should not spend too much time comparing himself to the Jones, defining a minimum level of comfort for happiness is not easy in the absolute sense.

Even a homeless man is comfortable and relatively safe sleeping in a back alley, compared to a Neanderthal man who had to watch out for sabertooth tigers loitering outside his cave.

If I were in a 3rd world country like Bangladesh or a sub-Saharan country, what I considered necessary for happiness would be a lot lower than what I enjoy now, even though I have always been LBYM.
If you are comfortable and happy now, do you become uncomfortable and/or unhappy if your neighbors move out and are replaced by more wealthy folks?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Food products are routinely adulterated in China...remember the milk scare?

Not too long ago there were articles about families purchasing baby formula from Australia instead of in China.
Yes, Chinese factories are notorious for turning out fraudulent products with unconscionable disregard for public health. Some years ago, they added melamine to baby food, not just pet food.

But the excerpt that I quoted talked about drinking water. Yes, I can believe that their public tap water is not safe to drink, but why did treated water costs them as much as $1K a month? And about contaminated food, if this family cannot trust locally grown produce (may be high in insecticide) and not just processed food, how do they get imported fresh vegetable and fruit? By the way, I looked up Kunming, Yunnan, where they lived and it's quite landlocked.

Regarding tap water not being potable, I happened to see this Ukrainian family who also made $10K/month, and have to buy drinking water. This level of income is above the median for all Western developed countries, and quite high for China, and the Ukraine. What do people with less income do?

Quote:
The Sdambulyak family lives in Kiev in Ukraine...

The house has reliable electricity, running water, and toilet facility. They also own another dwelling and agricultural land. The family buys all their food supplies, which cost them about 10% of their income...

While there is drinking water in the home, it’s not safe to drink and the family spends up to 10% of their income on clean water.
Yet, another case of $1K/month for drinking water.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
If you are comfortable and happy now, do you become uncomfortable and/or unhappy if your neighbors move out and are replaced by more wealthy folks?
I cannot guarantee that I would not feel uncomfortable. Not unhappy, but uncomfortable.

PS. I would not feel comfortable either if I lived among people with much less than I do. Too difficult to turn a blind eye to misery and starvation around you.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #40

Quote:
Yes, I can believe that their public tap water is not safe to drink.

Wait, they had a tap?! Most don't.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote