Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Ziggy, you are certainly correct in the absolute sense. However, I would hate to limit popular media advice to the great unwashed to "post-retirement financial requirement vary so widely from person to person, that we cannot give you any." The reality is, the average American is not going to hook up with a competent FA, or learn on their own. Better to give sound bite advice that is generally correct, as opposed to the alternative.
On the other hand, saying "You really need to total up your current expenses, and estimate new/changed/removed expenses when you retire" would not only be helpful for the retirement scenario, but might also open some eyes if people put together an actual budget. "Wow, we spend HOW MUCH a month on Starbucks?"

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm trying to put together a budget now. I'm using MINT and it tracks all of my categories, once I set them up in transactions.

I just said "Wow! I spend how much on groceries!?!"

Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote