Article on joys of ER

There are definitely fewer cars on the road in the middle of a work day, which would be great if they didn't all drive like crap. People commuting have their issues, too, but they generally know where they are going, when to slow down and speed up, when to change lanes, where to turn, etc. With the non-daily drivers, it's entirely possible to see people decide at the very last minute that they need to turn left right now, but they're in the far right lane.

I liked the article too. Really, there are so many reasons not working is beneficial. I had a doctors appt. today, my BP was fantastic. I wish I could mark it up to exercise, but I think it's just because life is so damn good.

Thanks for sharing the article.

I would add sleeping better, and avoiding traffic.

That captures the relaxed, free feeling of ER well. Even after 14 years, when I am out walking on a weekday morning I still get a rush of relief when commuters hurry by on their way to the metro. It's interesting, I get that feeling walking but if I am in the car, surrounded by anxious commuters, I don't. Maybe that's because driving makes me type A.

That captures the relaxed, free feeling of ER well. Even after 14 years, when I am out walking on a weekday morning I still get a rush of relief when commuters hurry by on their way to the metro.

Totally. People rushing to work just look so stressed out to me.

I can relate to several of the article's items. Even when I was working part-time, some of them were applicable such as being able to do errands on weekdays at 10:30 AM, when the stores are empty.

Two items I can add is being able to do more things at night on weeknights because I am not too worn out from the long day at work and its tiring commute, and not having to get up early the next morning; the other item is being able to more easily schedule appointment such as with my dentist and doctors instead of being limited to Saturdays.

The last 15 years of my career were flexible in terms of working from home. I was able to get things done in the middle of the day, work around a doctor's appointment, run out to the store at "lunch", etc.

What I DON'T miss about that work situation was that I was always on call - working late or early to match overseas customers, answering e-mails in the middle of the night, phone never off, etc. It has been about 3 months now and I am JUST learning to not jerk to attention every time the smart phone beeps at me. Getting 95% fewer e-mails helps.

The last 15 years of my career were flexible in terms of working from home. I was able to get things done in the middle of the day, work around a doctor's appointment, run out to the store at "lunch", etc.

What I DON'T miss about that work situation was that I was always on call - working late or early to match overseas customers, answering e-mails in the middle of the night, phone never off, etc. It has been about 3 months now and I am JUST learning to not jerk to attention every time the smart phone beeps at me. Getting 95% fewer e-mails helps.

Congratulations

Those feelings of gratitude will continue to grow
even little things like staying up late to watch the baseball playoffs...I was not only anxious watching the games themselves , but in the back of my mind thinking " man i have to get up early" thus not really enjoying the games as fully as I could.
List is endless

I like what he said about walking more. Since I don't have to rush around I have time to walk everywhere. I love it. My "city car" has ~5k miles on it and I bought it in January of 2014.

I also telecommuted the last 14 years of my Megacorp career, and that "always on" mentality and expectations really weighs on you.

After having knee replacement on 7/11, it's SO nice to focus on nothing but healing, and not worrying about how I'll feel when I have to return to w*rk.

Thanks to the OP for sharing that article. I really enjoyed it.

Agreed with the link in on all 10 counts. We also eat our big meal around 2-4 pm. Just not that hungry earlier or later, so it w*rks. We’re also making new friends at random. It’s been wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom