Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I transferred my assets overseas before leaving NYS. I filed one last tax return with IRS and NYS for the six months I was still there. Never heard from NYS again. IRS asked me where my return was the following year, but I ignored the letter and have never heard from them again!
Well, be that as it may you still owe tax. I suspect they will find you.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I relocated to Florida from New York City last year. After almost 20 years in NYC, I sold my apartment and left for good.

Since I have been early retired for several years, most of my income now is dividends and interest, so I was no longer paying a ton of state and city income taxes as a resident of NYC. But, in my experience, the public services were declining significantly along with the quality of life. A homeless camp had been created around the corner from my apartment building, The subways, roads, and other services that I relied on had been declining for years.

And frankly there was a political element. I will avoid going into details about that, out of respect for the forum rules, but both the mayor of NYC and the governor have made it clear that they don’t value people like me. In fact, several years ago the governor of NY actually stated that people with political opinions like mine were not welcome in the state.

Why should I continue to give my money to people who hate me?

There is an expression I like: “Go where you’re treated best.”

So that’s what I did.
I always find it interesting when a state decides it can solve a fiscal problem by "taxing the rich", as if this is a brilliant idea that will work. I mean, it might work once.

If you are walking home from work and get accosted by bandits for a shakedown, it is sensible to take a different way home next time.

Most "rich" people are sensible that way.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I always find it interesting when a state decides it can solve a fiscal problem by "taxing the rich", as if this is a brilliant idea that will work. I mean, it might work once.

If you are walking home from work and get accosted by bandits for a shakedown, it is sensible to take a different way home next time.
Well, higher taxes are not necessarily a "shakedown", but when one perceives that what they are paying for is less and less than what they are getting, yes, it may be time to shop elsewhere. But if one finds that higher taxes are the price to pay for a locale which is more suited to their own ideals for what their society should be, then they may want to stick around.

The problem comes when there is a growing disconnect between taxes paid and the perceived value of what comes from those taxes.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Well, be that as it may you still owe tax. I suspect they will find you.
Well, if I do, I am sure they will send me a bill as they have my correct address!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #85
gone traveling

Quote:
One person's "taxing the rich" is another person's "paying their fair share".
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
So a state is being aggressive about collecting taxes that are owed.

I'm okay with that.
Yep. We moved from CA to TX last fall after selling our house. Large capital gains after the $500k exemption. We are filing what we hope is the last tax return for CA since we own no other property in CA. The capital gains from the house sale, and subsequent tax bill, are there. If we had moved within the state, we would have had the same tax considerations.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #87

Quote:
Yes, as defined by "the people". I used to play a little game with my college classes. I would state in class that in order to make things more fair, we could institute a vote in class where the majority could decide that grade points be redistributed. I further explained that there were some members of the class that were far into the A category, and even more so since I gave bonus points there might even be people with > 100%. Wouldn't it be more fair, I suggested, that democracy rule where grade points could be taken from those who had too many to those who were struggling to pass? Nor should it matter that some of those who were struggling to pass didn't even bother coming to class or to do the assignments - but we should still have them participate in the vote.

Another variation of this is I sometimes ask if they would consider it better if I simply gave everyone an A in the class, regardless of how well they did or whether they even did the assignments.

To stretch the analogy even further, what do you think the students working hard to get good grades would do if points were taken away? Would they think that system is "fair"? What do you think they would do if they had the option to transfer to another class where their points are left to them (and not taken) or would they stay in my class where their points were given to other students?
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
To stretch the analogy even further, what do you think the students working hard to get good grades would do if points were taken away? Would they think that system is "fair"? What do you think they would do if they had the option to transfer to another class where their points are left to them (and not taken) or would they stay in my class where their points were given to other students?
The problem here (apart from the fact that we are starting to stray into the politics of taxation) is that these are not analogous situations.

In your example, the person giving up more of their "points" gets nothing of benefit in return (except, perhaps, if they feel good about preventing someone from flunking out). In the taxation example, people *might* get some benefit to giving up more of their income -- they may get better schools, parks, libraries, more filled potholes, more responsive public services (with less understaffing), and so on.

Of course each individual has to decide if higher taxes are worth it to them, considering what they are getting for it. That's what "moving with your feet" is about, and what the OP was referring to -- not the politics of tax rates.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 03-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sure. But continuing my analogy, it does not really matter what you call it.

After a shakedown, the wise take a different route home.

This is why these fiscal strategies do not raise the money expected. So says Gov. Cuomo.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is why these fiscal strategies do not raise the money expected. So says Gov. Cuomo.
Let's please keep clear of straying into politics and politicians. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #91
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I used to play a little game with my college classes.

Wouldn't it be more fair, I suggested, that democracy rule where grade points could be taken from those who had too many to those who were struggling to pass? Nor should it matter that some of those who were struggling to pass didn't even bother coming to class or to do the assignments - but we should still have them participate in the vote.
How cute. That must have been a laugh riot.

Quote:
Another variation of this is I sometimes ask if they would consider it better if I simply gave everyone an A in the class, regardless of how well they did or whether they even did the assignments.

Your class must have been a lot of fun. What was the subject? Did you have tenure? Was it a private or a public school?
Old 03-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #92
gone traveling

Quote:
Sure. But continuing my analogy, it does not really matter what you call it.

After a shakedown, the wise take a different route home.
Got it.

So progressive taxes are out. Because the wise take a different route home.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #93

My parents were raised in California but my father took a job in Westchester County NY around late 1952 or early 53. He lasted about two years before deciding to take the southerly route back to California in the winter. For years after that, or rather decades, my mother would shake her head at "those stupid New Yorkers." High taxes, crowded, dirty old cities, and nasty weather. Who would WANT to live THERE? No bad roads or potholes in California when I was a kid. Well funded public schools, shots for kids free at the County clinic (remember polio?), essentially free public higher education and low taxes.

You can have all these things in a place where things are new, there are relatively few people and pretty much everyone has the same belief about the social contract. Once a place becomes more crowded and the infrastructure ages, all these wonderful things disappear.

There simply is not enough tax revenue to be generated in the crowded states with old infrastructure, ossified governments and overreaching regulatory environments to provide more than minimum basic services. There is no choice but to tax anything and anyone to try to keep up.

Unfortunately, there are not many new, uncrowded places any longer. California has followed in New York's footsteps and from this coast it looks like Florida is headed in the same direction. Hence the desperate search for revenue from fleeing residents by the newer states as well as the old.

California is far less forgiving in defining what makes you a resident than New York and far more aggressive in auditing former residents. My guess is that a light bulb will go off over someone's head in Sacramento soon and California will implement an estate or inheritance tax, and they will try to make it applicable to people that leave and die elsewhere. They need the money.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
My guess is that a light bulb will go off over someone's head in Sacramento soon and California will implement an estate or inheritance tax, and they will try to make it applicable to people that leave and die elsewhere. They need the money.
I think the logistics of trying to make that work would be nearly impossible. For instance, I can have an interest bearing account or CD at a bank located in California, and the interest earned is not taxed in California as long as I don't have any residency status or any other type of income in California. That's true for all states.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #95

I was a Field Engineer in my early 20's working overseas. I qualified for "Physical Presence in a Foreign Country " and paid no taxes. It was great as I was single and had no deductions.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Yep. I have friends that moved from MD to FL to retire, and now like to poke fun about Maryland's high tax rates. But then when they complain about the state of their roads and infrastructure and public services, I be sure to take the opportunity to remind them that I *chose* to live in one of the counties in MD with the highest local tax rate. That is why I can fill out an online form about a pothole or even faded lane markings and it will be fixed a week or two later!
Your friend must not use the same FL roads I do (snowbirding). Growing up in the North and Midwest, I accepted pot holes as the "rites of spring". But in a state without freezing temps and salted roads, things are quite different. Don't know that I have seen nicer roads, overall, than in FL.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Your friend must not use the same FL roads I do (snowbirding). Growing up in the North and Midwest, I accepted pot holes as the "rites of spring". But in a state without freezing temps and salted roads, things are quite different. Don't know that I have seen nicer roads, overall, than in FL.
Amen to that.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Nothing partisan about the statement. It is completely on topic and factual. It is what the article said, it even quoted Cuomo to the same effect.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:23 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I suppose such a discussion could easily become political. It's not always so much the fact that one state has higher taxes than another and not that some states are more aggressive in collecting taxes due (or even not due.) To me, the issue is what the taxes are used for. That could get political very quickly. Therefore I'll leave it at that as YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:26 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Agree that the physical state of roads in FL is great, primarily due to the lack of freezing.

What I hear people complain about in FL in regard to roads is traffic flow, backups, and planning.

But I also hear people complain about that almost everywhere. Maybe not Wyoming.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote