Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post

Traffic and crowding is bad from January to April, and July and August we tend to go north for vacations.
+1

We spent much of this winter in Florida as well as the winters of 2016 and 2015. We couldn't believe how crowded it seemed in many areas! And we live in the shadows of the Chicago skyline, so we understand what "congested" means.

Just the same, we did spend some of our time in nice places and really enjoyed the weather compared to what was happening here at home.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Agree that the physical state of roads in FL is great, primarily due to the lack of freezing.

<SNIP>
If that were the biggest factor, Oahu roads would be fantastic. As it turns out, our roads are much worse than those in the semi-rust-belt midwest state I used to live in. Back in the day, we had freeze thaw cycles weekly (or more frequent) during winter - and the heat finished things off in the summer. Still, they kept the roads in better shape than Oahu's roads.

One factor here (in Paradise) is the crumbling infrastructure UNDER the roads. There is a major thoroughfare in Honolulu that is constantly torn up as they chase newly broken water pipes. I don't ever recall traversing it without bumping over steel plates or going around cone-zones. I think roads are more a matter of priority rather than "natural phenomenon." YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Maryland is getting vicious toward the high-income residents fleeing to Florida and North Carolina. MD is now withholding 7.5% of the proceeds of a house sale when you move out of state. This is supposed to ensure people pay any capital gains tax owed on the house, but it is charged to everyone, even if you had to sell at a loss.

Next year when you file your taxes with MD as a part-year resident, hoping to be refunded for the tax on the capital gains you did not receive, MD Comptroller's office may audit your return. They certainly are in no hurry to refund your money. And 7.5% of the purchase price is probably a lot more than most people would ever owe in CG tax. Think of it - 7.5% of a $500,000 sale is $37,500!
Old 03-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Maryland is getting vicious toward the high-income residents fleeing to Florida and North Carolina. MD is now withholding 7.5% of the proceeds of a house sale when you move out of state. This is supposed to ensure people pay any capital gains tax owed on the house, but it is charged to everyone, even if you had to sell at a loss.

Next year when you file your taxes with MD as a part-year resident, hoping to be refunded for the tax on the capital gains you did not receive, MD Comptroller's office may audit your return. They certainly are in no hurry to refund your money. And 7.5% of the purchase price is probably a lot more than most people would ever owe in CG tax. Think of it - 7.5% of a $500,000 sale is $37,500!
I foget, can there be a class action suit against a state? Just wondering.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

https://articles.ezlandlordforms.com...gh-tax-states/
Old 03-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

California has something similar (3 1/3%), but that's usually reserved for sellers of real estate who are either non-residents or non-citizens. That's at least more reasonable, particularly for those who are leaving the country. We're paying quite a bit of capital gains tax on our CA house sale from last year, but 7.5% would be a lot more than we actually owed.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Apparently, though, if you move to Florida and change your state of residence (e.g. registering your car, getting a FL driver license) MD considers you an out-of-state buyer.

Of course anyone who moves to Florida wants to establish FL residency asap, for income tax reasons, and so you can get the benefits of homesteading (property tax caps, favorable insurance rates etc).

This tax racket must be fairly new, as I have only recently heard people complain about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
California has something similar (3 1/3%), but that's usually reserved for sellers of real estate who are either non-residents or non-citizens. .
Old 03-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
"down 50%" means nothing without context. Down since when?

Seems unlikely. Perhaps you have a link to the source of that claim?
As I noted above, it was a CNN segment last week about wealth fleeing high tax states.

Mass, at 50% of revenue loss was among 5 other states. The segment also included the Cuomo comment so it at least implied that the numbers were recent.

As I recall it had tied in the most recent tax changes (and maybe the new SALT limitations) as being a notable culprit.

I was watching CNN in Europe so I'm not sure if it was also broadcast in the US.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
If that were the biggest factor, Oahu roads would be fantastic. As it turns out, our roads are much worse than those in the semi-rust-belt midwest state I used to live in. Back in the day, we had freeze thaw cycles weekly (or more frequent) during winter - and the heat finished things off in the summer. Still, they kept the roads in better shape than Oahu's roads.

One factor here (in Paradise) is the crumbling infrastructure UNDER the roads. There is a major thoroughfare in Honolulu that is constantly torn up as they chase newly broken water pipes. I don't ever recall traversing it without bumping over steel plates or going around cone-zones. I think roads are more a matter of priority rather than "natural phenomenon." YMMV
Sure, urban areas and the tear ups are a problem.

Florida has nearly a perfect road substrate that is very stable and thick built right in. Volcanic soil is probably different.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #130

Quote:

Seems like this is an opportunity for someone to set up apartments for short-term leases. Sell your MD house and move in to an MD apartment. Get everything owed to you at settlement. Then, a month later, move out of state.
Philliefan33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Unless something has changed since I went through this a few years ago (and a review of the Maryland tax site doesn't indicate it has) there are several big caveats to this. There is an exemption if it's your primary residence, and even if not, you can file an application for exemption. The latter allows you to calculate your capital gain on the property, and pay the tax on that amount instead of the sale price less selling cost, which is the default.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Interesting.... for us.... currently contemplating a change in domicile in 2020, the savings are tantalizing but not compelling.... property tax differences are a minor benefit... auto insurance will be more expensive... state income tax savings are nice but not crazy.... net benefit is about 2.5% of our annual withdrawals. Not sure what we will do.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #133
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Unless something has changed since I went through this a few years ago (and a review of the Maryland tax site doesn't indicate it has) there are several big caveats to this. There is an exemption if it's your primary residence, and even if not, you can file an application for exemption. The latter allows you to calculate your capital gain on the property, and pay the tax on that amount instead of the sale price less selling cost, which is the default.
Yep, dealt with that in 2016 when we sold our town house. Exemption form eliminated that 7.5% tax.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:14 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
As I noted above, it was a CNN segment last week about wealth fleeing high tax states.

Mass, at 50% of revenue loss was among 5 other states. The segment also included the Cuomo comment so it at least implied that the numbers were recent.

As I recall it had tied in the most recent tax changes (and maybe the new SALT limitations) as being a notable culprit.
I live in Mass at the moment. As far as I can tell, there's been no 50% loss of revenue. I'm guessing it would have made the news had it been real.

Perhaps what you saw was some sort of projection...
Old 03-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Minnesota does this too.

A couple things they look for are where you bank and where your primary services are (doctor, dentist, accountant ...).

Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote