Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
gone traveling

As Down Economy Sets In, Some are Embracing the Simple Life

Is frugal the new black?

As down economy sets in, some are embracing the simple life

Is frugal the new black? - Retail - MSNBC.com

~
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have faith in my fellow Americans. That when the economy picks back they will go back to their wonderful spending ways. Someone has to keep working to support social programs
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's talked about like it's an infectious disease or something like that... but perhaps the people on this board are a dying breed if this is truly newsworthy.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 AM   #4

I saw this article yesterday. It's in my neck of the woods.

My grandmother used to line dry everything before the days of fabric softener, the sheets were especially abrasive.

The Columbus Dispatch : Clotheslines make comeback
Old 07-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #5

I live in the area (Dublin, OH) and although my Condo Association prohibits them I personally would welcome Ohio passing a law making it optional for "individuals" to have them like they did on the American flag. Currently, we actually have a clothes line in the garage that we do put to good use but still use the dryer for most clothing.

There are so many things that would save energy if people would just think about it; some can just be done others would require action by our "sleeping" so called "leaders" to get something done. As they say "they talk the talk but they do not walk the walk".
Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't know if I would go to the length of drying all of my clothing on lines, but I have been shopping online a lot more recently to find good deals. Sites like amazon and ebay are great ways to find things I want cheaper.
Jessica08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder how "sticky" the changes will be.

Oahu is seeing a huge surge in bus riders, to the point where people can't get seats and the company is having to lay on extra buses on the commuter routes. Others are actually chartering tour buses (plenty of them around here) to drive their own routes/times.

Goodwill is certainly getting crowded. All the good stuff is gone before we get there.

But I think that as soon as people get used to $5/gallon gas they'll go back to their vehicles... and shopping closer to a Starbucks.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Thirty years ago, I bought a house in this blue collar neighborhood because there were clothes lines, gardens, and dandelions.

I've never owned a dryer.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Thirty years ago, I bought a house in this blue collar neighborhood because there were clothes lines, gardens, and dandelions.

These are the best things about steering clear of McMansions and subdivisions.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

My grandmother and MIL both have dryers, but use the clothesline unless it's raining. They both live in temperate California, though. Do you go to a coin-op laundry when it's cold/raining/snowing?

I'm going to go home tonight and give my gas dryer a big kiss. "Don't worry, little dryer, Daddy is far too lazy to ever abandon you in favor of air drying".
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
My grandmother and MIL both have dryers, but use the clothesline unless it's raining. They both live in temperate California, though. Do you go to a coin-op laundry when it's cold/raining/snowing?

I'm going to go home tonight and give my gas dryer a big kiss. "Don't worry, little dryer, Daddy is far too lazy to ever abandon you in favor of air drying".
If weather is bad, I hang laundry inside (one person three bedrooms).

On the few occasions when I do use the laundromat, I never use the dryers, as they are contaminated with the smelly greasy softener sheets.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #12

i have a metal railing in my place that i use to dry a lot of clothes. mostly jeans and some shirts. the cheapo house t-shirts go in the dryer. my $150 jeans along with Armani shirts get hung dried.

don't really care about the savings, but it makes the life of the clothing a lot longer. i have 5 year old jeans that are only now becoming worn. doesn't really do anything for Banana Republic which are the worst quality pieces of junk i've ever seen. i have wal mart clothes that are much better in quality.
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Well people used to think we were cheapskates, are we now avant-garde? Instead of mocking it, will people finally embrace our way of life? I have my doubts...

We use the dryer only for cheap clothes. The rest gets air dried. White sheets are also air dried. They seem to stay whiter and last longer that way.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing beats sleeping on sheets that were dried outside on a clothesline hours before--and think of the money we're all saving on dryer sheets!

This winter I might hang clotheslines in the basement (a little chilly in Chicago to hang clothes outside!). DH and I generate only two loads of laundry a week so it wouldn't be a huge savings but hey, every little bit helps.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #15

Darn it, I hate being trendy...
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our HOA doesn't allow clothes lines, so we put a little rack that my DW found out on the deck and use that. Nobody can easily see it because of the rails on the deck. We're such rebels

We just use it for certain things, clothes, towels, like that. I wish we could do sheets out there.

At the same time that articles about frugality are appearing, Wal-mart is closing their fabric departments. DW loves to sew, but it's getting really hard to find places that sell material, at least where we live. I guess selling someone the materials to make their own clothes conflicts with selling already made clothes. Oh well.

Harley
Old 07-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

While I'm all for the environmental bonus--how much does line drying actually save a typical family? I'm guessing a gas dryer is much better than electric but even with an "expensive" dryer, how much money are we really talking?
My family always tubled dried a bit but tried to not overdue it--in order to keep clothes nicer for longer and avoid lots of ironing!
thaidyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

tubled= tumble
(last time I don't preview a post, promise)
Old 07-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaidyed View Post
While I'm all for the environmental bonus--how much does line drying actually save a typical family? I'm guessing a gas dryer is much better than electric but even with an "expensive" dryer, how much money are we really talking?
My family always tubled dried a bit but tried to not overdue it--in order to keep clothes nicer for longer and avoid lots of ironing!
Thai, here is an article that discusses how much it costs to run a dryer (electric vs. gas):

Saving on clothes dryer costs, and gas vs. electric dryers

So it looks like the cost per load is 39 cents for electric and 30 for gas. At an average of 8 loads a week, it seems like it would cost a little over $100 for gas and $150 for electric.

The article discusses other ways to save money on clothes drying as well, including run around the house naked to have less clothes to wash!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
other ways to save money on clothes drying as well, including run around the house naked to have less clothes to wash!
Speaking from personal experience that one is very effective in the tropics. Of course, there are no dryers here so...
Still its the principle of the thing. Everyone's gotta do their part for the environment!

Tags
economy, frugal, simple, thrift