Join Early Retirement Today

As God is my witness, I will never be in
Old 06-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As God is my witness, I will never be in

the market again.

The last 2 weeks have proven that you could be wiped out quickly by some ignorant comments by a Fed Chief. -100 days for two weeks just because some idiot decides to mumble. That's what I hated about Greenspan. He had little to say but every word was an "Omen" of doom.

I'm taking the big hit on my $1.2 mil after tax portfolio and going cash. I will use 1/2 the money to buy an abode, buy furnishing, and a Hummer H2. Buying in Arizona. The rest will be put into an annuity that covers most living expenses. Then I'll buy survivor supplies for years.

Tired of watching oil prices, commodity prices, the DJIA, NAS etc.

The 401k will stay in the market and most likely go to zero but if I leve to see 62, SSN will at least pay $1,500 a month.

The market sucks.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: As God is my witness, I will never be in
Old 06-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #2

OAP, this is God. Stay in the market, but stay away from Arizona. I'm planning to have a little fun with the Grand Canyon soon.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

God, I thought for sure you were going to tell him not to buy an H2!

What next, are you going to tell him what laptop to buy? :
Old 06-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

OAP, stay out of the market so you drive prices down for me to buy. Move to Arizona (it is more of a dry heat)....
The Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to AZ, OAP! *Be glad to have you here!

Momtwo
Momtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:17 PM   #6

The H2 will be tricked out as a RV. My abode bill be small and minimalist.

I want away from having every facet of my life controlled by the ramblings of some Washington Fed Bank idiot.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Right on OAP. Other then the Hummer I agree with you. Investment in life skills will trump the stock market every time. Life skills are learning to grow your own food, repair things on your own, generating energy without reliance on the grid, stocking up on supplies, bartering.
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman
Life skills are learning to grow your own food, repair things on your own, generating energy without reliance on the grid, stocking up on supplies, bartering.
Not disagreeing with a thing you said, but I'm curious what OAP is going to grow in Arizona. I have a vision of a dusty H2 rumbling around the dessert full of jars of pickled prickly pears and prickly pear jelly.

Let me know OAP, I got some good recipes for Nopalitos.

And I'm sure God or the Devil would have told you to not buy the H2 - if you're going Omega Man on us you better get the real deal - H1 baby! But, if you go that route you need to get the whole Sarah Connor going to Mexico rig and mount a Ma Deuce:

[img width=750 height=562]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/cyncl_optmst/Tim%20in%20Iraq/TimontheMaDeuce.jpg[/img]
Old 06-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interestingly, God is confused about dryer sheets.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:52 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like this thread.

One thing I wonder about OAP going back to the land- is the Arizona Desert going to be full of little Japanese girls in their school uniforms, gay bikers wearing chaps and no trousers, and dim sum shops under every saguaro?

It seems like quite an abrupt change in direction. Not that there is anything wrong with that, no siree!

Ha
Old 06-17-2006, 05:18 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

if you have been in the markets for quite a while now we all forget when the markets dropping that if we werent in the markets we would be no where the amounts we are at even after a major plunge.......
i have 2 friends who just retired from the nyc board of ed after 30+ years..the teachers could elect how they wanted their money invested ..well aaron never wanted to put any money at risk or took an interest in where his money was invested..he always used to tell my friend joe you know we all earn about the same,we will all work as long ,we will retire with about the same thing.well aaron retired with 195,000 from his cd's and money markets,,,joe who always stayed invested retired with 1.2 million......needless to say aaron will still be working some bimmy job struggling now
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:14 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My what short memories we have!

Last year, I believe OAP was ticked that his assets went down by 2% about this time. I believe he even reduced his stock market exposure then. Since then, the one-year return of an internationally diversified stock equity portfolio was about 10% and money market funds returned under 4%. So take your pick or mix and match to get somewhere in-between 4% and 10%.

Risk is a personal thing, so I can see why God wants to stay 100% invested ... she has many years to go and knows the future anyways.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:25 AM   #13

So far, this hasn't been anything but a little market fluxuation. Now 1987 was a drop. So was 2000. No "credible" diversified portfolio has fallen 8 or 9% since a sharp peak in early May. I'm "aggressive" and am only down 6%.\

OAP -- if this bothers you, you need to stop listening to the financial news and checking your stock prices.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

im down about 6% from my all time high.......im still up overall for the year by about 3%...still beating a money market for the overall 1 year
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #15

OAP, for an interesting choice in minimalist housing, see http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/mini_1.html.

AZ is beautiful ... consider the mountains in SE AZ, or in N AZ (Mogollon Rim country, Flagstaff, etc.) ... more water there, pine forests, cooler and capable of growing what you want. *Search "Rim Country AZ" on the 'net.

Glad God is finally here. *Now we can really get some rebalancing advice. *
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:14 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

If I remember right, OAP once said he had a 2 million porfolio which means he must have 800k in his 401k account. That being the case he would have 40% in the market. Thats a pretty good balance for most in their mid 50's.

OAP, am I correct on the above?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
OAP, for an interesting choice in minimalist housing, see http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/mini_1.html.

AZ is beautiful ... consider the mountains in SE AZ, or in N AZ (Mogollon Rim country, Flagstaff, etc.) ... more water there, pine forests, cooler and capable of growing what you want. Search "Rim Country AZ" on the 'net.

Glad God is finally here. Now we can really get some rebalancing advice.
800 sq feet for $160,000? I won't be buying one. Thats more than my 1800 sq ft house is worth.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
800 sq feet for $160,000? I won't be buying one. Thats more than my 1800 sq ft house is worth.
Crossthreading, are we?
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #19

People like OAP are why insurance companies are so profitable. Fear. So OAP, whaddya gonna do when you get a flat tire on your new Hummer? Sell it?! lol.....
Old 06-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Risk is a personal thing, so I can see why God wants to stay 100% invested ... she has many years to go and knows the future anyways.
I'm pretty sure that even god doesnt know what the future holds for the financial markets

But she's probably feeling pretty secure knowing where all the gold is that we havent found yet
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote