Join Early Retirement Today

aspirityholdings (Twin cities power holdings LLC)
Old 10-12-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

aspirityholdings (Twin cities power holdings LLC)

Hi
Is anyone planning to invest in aspirityholdings (Twin cities power holdings LLC) renewable unsecured subordinated notes?

On a separate note any suggestions overall to consider investing in such notes?

Much appreciated and thanks for your time.
rhurhurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

did you read any of the online information about these notes?

subordinate to all other notes presently in place (and likely any secured debt issued later)

Quote:
The Notes are subordinate to all other existing and future secured, unsecured, senior, and subordinate debt obligations of Aspirity. If the Company encountered serious financial difficulties, principal and interest payments to higher priority creditors would take precedence over payments to Note holders. The Company currently has substantial debt and is likely to incur or issue additional obligations that would rank senior in priority of repayment to the Notes. See the Prospectus for more details.
Look through their SEC filings and see if you want to invest. High rates don't come for free. They did not get the bonds rated, but assume Junk or lower would be a safe bet.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It all boils down to your personal risk/reward....I wont presume to know anything about the company or its finances with a cursory look I just made. I checked some of their rates they are paying and those are rates the scream use of caution. A public electrical utility can borrow for 30 years under 4% and Aspirity pays 16% on a 10 year, 100k investment.
I invest for income, and have little in common stock, so I look at these types of things. And most people who invest like I do would probably agree that once you sneak above 7% you are getting into more risk than what you may imagine.
I would much rather accept risk on having lower on the food chain notes or preferred stocks from quality investment grade companies that will yield me 6-7% than higher yield, senior notes from a debt laden or questionably profitable company.
I understand some accounting, but not enough to trust anything prepared by a company that needs to be picked over with a fine tooth comb to figure out what the risks are. I like higher yield, but I like to sleep well at night too. So I buy ones that have decades of history paying their "debts and dividends", retained earnings, and mostly have a guaranteed ROE, thus I stay mostly with utility preferreds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote