Join Early Retirement Today

other online calculators
Old 10-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

other online calculators

I've run my numbers in Firecalc and Financial engines and the plan seems to work. I had to tweak things a little. I'm prepared to work a little longer if the numbers don't seem to add up as I get closer to retirement.
Are there any other online retirement calculators which forum users find helpful?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
So, you'd be about 40% equities when you start retirement, possibly at the start of a bear market of unknown duration?
-- 50% in cash/fixed (to be used for the first 10 years)
-- Approx 20% of portfolio in a 2020 target retirement retirement fund x 30% fixed component of that fund = 6% of total portfolio in cash/fixed
-- Approx 15% of portfolio in a 2030 target retirement fund x 15% fixed component of this fund = 2% of total portfolio in cash/fixed
-- Approx 10% of portfolio in a 2040 target retirement fund x 10% fixed component of this fund = 1% of your total portfolio in cash/fixed
-- Approx 5% of portfolio in a 2050 retirement fund x 10% fixed component of this fund = 0.5% of your total portfolio in cash/fixed
I was thinking of using 2025, 2035, etc.

Our networth is worse now than a couple of months ago.

But I have a pension, retirement health care coverage, and of course SS for DW anf I. Our home is almost paid off.

Plus my projected spending is high compared to what we actually spend (today)... is almost double. We have plenty of cushion.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was 60/40 (but some of the "equities" portion is actually balanced funds with bonds in them) - downturn took me towards 50/50 - I'm gradually buying back up.

Commodities have been "sexy" last couple years and I think over-recommended in allocations - I don't like more than 5%.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchoparque View Post
I've run my numbers in Firecalc and Financial engines and the plan seems to work. I had to tweak things a little. I'm prepared to work a little longer if the numbers don't seem to add up as I get closer to retirement.
Are there any other online retirement calculators which forum users find helpful?
I also like Retirement Income Planner on Fidelity's site
Old 10-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And then there's ORP! www.i-orp.com

Rita
Old 10-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchoparque View Post
I have used Flexible Retirement Planner for Monte Carlo simulations.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Bogle still uses the old rule of your age equals your bond allocation. I think that looks better and better to me after this down turn. I'm 60 and was 50/50 going in. I think I'll remain 40/60 for the next 5 years.
Bogle's advice is exactly why i did 55/45 at FIRE at age 48, with a tiny fudge factor. with continued DCA into bonds for 2 more years, i was striving to hit a 50/50 AA at age 50.
to each their own, but i shall remain a "fence straddler" from here forward. the inevitable market recovery may unbalance my AA a bit...changing the targets of my ongoing DCA will take care of that.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #28

This has taught me I want more cash on hand. MY allocation now is 97% equities and 3% cash/bonds. I am 35 and about 18 years from considering FIRE. Down 40%+ everywhere I look.

I am investing everything I have (into 401ks and IRAs) and would have liked a larger emergency fund so I could liquidate some of it on the dips.