Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you approach rebalancing this way when approaching ER? For example: In our current situation are you holding your equity position and (not buying or selling)... intending to use your fixed for income and wait out the bear?
i'm technically still in the accumulation stage, even though i am FIREd. Age is 50.
i am holding my equity position and am definitely waiting out the bear. i do not use my fixed for income, yet.
i like to use the KISS method - using Bogle's advice for age and AA. i intend to rebalance slowly over time by merely switching my DCA targets as required. just a few clicks at the VG site for autoinvesting options and it's done.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retired since December 02. I use a rather wide 10% band for rebalancing i.e. 55% to 65% stocks the rest cash/bonds. Since I retired I've only rebalanced once mid 07 when stocks went way up (sure glad I did too). Currently at 58% stocks and yes if it droped below 55% I would buy stocks as long as I have my four year cash bucket (my sleep well point)

Old 10-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Yup. My 60/40 turned into 40/60.

So... I'll be rebalancing in January. My Plan has me rebalancing annually, if investments have strayed outside of some fairly generous bands. The idea is to check once a year and rebalance if needed, otherwise let it go.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
... there is no law saying that you HAVE to rebalance at all, though for most of us it's a pretty doggone good idea.

Now might be a good time to thoroughly reconsider AA, though. There would be no necessity of rebalancing at all, if you decide that the best move for you and your wife is to maintain a 38:62 AA permanently.
True, but in the who knows how many times I ran FIRECalc before RE I kept coming back to 45/55. That particular AA seemed to hit my personal sweet spot balancing odds of portfolio survival with my risk tolerance. I can find no reason to change now other than an emotional reaction, something that hasn't shown much success for me in the past. I need to get back to my planned AA.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Are any of you that are approaching ER...
Well, I was approaching ER last fall, now not so much.

I should have rebalanced last fall, but I let the equity percentage creep up instead. I have rebalanced twice during this recent break in the market.

Basically, I plan to keep rebalancing as the market goes down until my cash/bond holdings fall to four year's expenses, or till I lose my job,, whichever comes first.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I'm taking a slightly different approach to rebalancing. Originally our AA was 55/45 with a max of 60/40 and a min of 50/50. In recent years I did not let the equities get above 55% since it seemed prudent for us to take that off the table. Right now it's at about 45/55. I'm going to do a passive rebalance for now. By that I mean spend from the fixed income portion of the portfolio and so the equity portion rises at a rate of about 0.5 * spending_rate.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is because we are just at the beginning of a recession. It would be kind of unusual if equities rose in a recession. Of course, we do not have a lot of post-war recessions to go on. From the start of a recession until an SP500 bottom has been anywhere from 3 to 19 months long. If I'm wrong (actually hope I'm wrong) and equities take off then all I've missed is the rebalance bonus. If I'm right then eventually spending from FI will get me back to 55/45.

It's a conservative approach but I think it's prudent since I'm not going back to work.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
{bump}

I did not get many responses on this one.

Are any of you that are approaching ER or in ER or Full Retirement going to use fixed to buy equities?

For example: you were 60/40... the stock market drop puts you now at something like 40/60. Are you going to rebalance to 60/40 to capture the buying opportunity? Or are you hanging onto the fixed (not taking the risk) because it is intended to provide income in bad times?

This is exactly the situation many of us face. Will you roll the dice or sit tight? And Why?
I am rebalancing from fixed to equities, but am doing so in a controlled way. 1/12th of the amount that I'm "off" each month for the next 12 months. I just couldn't stomach moving that much money from bonds to equities while the market was dropping every day.

I'm hoping that the market recovers and I reach my allocation in less than 12 months.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Unfortunately, my bonds have been beaten down too - just not as much. There is plenty of risk in fixed too - unless you are all US Govt bonds.
That's a big learning for me too. My fixed portion is almost entirely in ST Investment Grade Corp (the VG fund). I think it was Swedroe (or some other asset alloc guru) who argued that the fixed portion should be all treasury since it is not correlated to Equities (as opposed to corp bonds). I should have listened to him.

Once this mess settles down and treasuries become more "normally" priced, I plan to move my fixed income into a combination ST and MT treasuries and TIPS.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
That's a big learning for me too. My fixed portion is almost entirely in ST Investment Grade Corp (the VG fund). I think it was Swedroe (or some other asset alloc guru) who argued that the fixed portion should be all treasury since it is not correlated to Equities (as opposed to corp bonds). I should have listened to him.

Once this mess settles down and treasuries become more "normally" priced, I plan to move my fixed income into a combination ST and MT treasuries and TIPS.
I had a lot in ST Investment Grade for a short while until I saw them going down with equities. But why wait, you have an opportunity to get into TIPS at very good rates. Better then the rates I bought at. If it were me I'd move some fraction there.

Taking 12 months to rebalance sounds like a good compromise in the recession we appear to be in.