Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2017, 07:30 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Utility stocks can be a good choice for a conservative investor. They generally keep up with inflation plus pay a nice dividend. They also weather tough markets nicely. A utility-heavy portfolio barely noticed the 2008-2009 downturn.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #22

Utility stocks are were I've got my mom. Well, I should say that's mostly where my dad left my mom. She had 3 positions and when I showed her the 2008 2009 graphs, she picked the only non-utility to sell for spending. I see utility stocks are the best middle ground on ones way to bonds.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Dash Man I'm not hedged against Armageddon. I doubt your going to get anything close to the "value" of your bullion in a government melt down despite what William DeVane says. A better choice in that scenario is a safe full of Glocks and boxes of 9mm bullets, or .22 or .223 cal equivalent systems

My goal is to be hedged to some extent against inflation which is one very real threat to a passive retirement. I went with the LTIPS fund based on some research I read by some people I consider to be very smart, that TIPS were felt to be the best hedge against inflation for the "cash like" part of a portfolio. Inflation will eat this part of your portfolio. Stagflation will eat this part AND the capital appreciation part. I have other parts of my portfolio (bonds stocks etc) which provide appreciation, and other parts (pre-tax funds, post tax funds, muni bonds, long term cap loss, manipulation of the basis) that provides tax efficiency, and a means to estimate diversity.

I am a believer in modern portfolio theory. I believe diversity correctly applied is the only free lunch when it comes to portfolios. If you have a portfolio that drops 50% it takes 100% to get back to zero, If you drop 33% you only need 66% to get back to zero. In the accumulation phase of a portfolio (when you're trying to make the most return) you may be able to stand that kind of volatility, but I read a paper that suggest you should transition over 10 years from a pre-retirement accumulation phase to a post retirement distribution phase. 5 years into this 10 year period is actual retirement. As you enter you want things to be getting conservative, peaking in conservatism at retirement and then gradually liberalizing as you reach 5 years into retirement, so there is a shift between accumulation to preservation, to distribution over a 10 year period. I'm presently in the preservation phase so TIPS fit my phase. 5 years from now I'll re-evaluate my risk profile vs the economy. This scheme is supposed to give the best protection against early portfolio failure. The problem is your bad choices today tends to play out as failure 20 years after the fact.

Best
Doc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My AA is 40/60, up from 30/70 a few years ago. Mostly index funds. I am 67. So far, so good--"keep it simple" works for me.
tuckeverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc0 View Post
Dash Man I'm not hedged against Armageddon.

Best
+1
Knowing what I know now, Not only would I have left work 5 years earlier, I now realize It was stupid of me trying to worry about most what ifs. I dont know anyone personally, that said "omg inflation was 2 % last year Im really needing 2 % more income or Ill starve". This whole keeping pace with inflation thing is overblown. I didnt know that at the time. I thought I would always buy Clorox bleach at 2.99 when I can get a gallon for a buck from Joe blows store. You just adapt. This might not apply to the folks that are already about to eat cat food, but the majority of the members here are too excess to worry about this stuff.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Armageddon is by definition not hedgeable.

It is tough enough to hedge against something like Hurricane Harvey for people on the east and gulf coast. Or people in the midwest and their tornadoes.

Have not heard recently about people along the west coast and their earthquakes, but they have been busy with the drought and a sudden deluge.

I have been busy thinking about doing something to hedge against the summer here in the SW. I need to put up that solar pergola to harvest some electricity to run a supplemental AC.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote