Asset allocation tutorial?

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If anyone is interested in an asset allocation tutorial, we can run one right here in this thread. We will use the free morningstar tools at the troweprice website and there will be homework. Just sign up by responding to this thread.

Last edited:
Audrey, thanks for the link. Should it be required reading over the course of this tutorial?

I could use some continuing education. Besides learning about using a valuable investing tool, they say exercising one's brain cells helps keep the brain pliable and reduces chances of Alzheimer's or dementia.

I would be interested. Something to do on these cold dreary winter days. Needs to be no cost though in keeping with the frugality of our members...

If we wait to do the homework, will that be market timing?

OK, here we go with the 1st homework assignment.

1. Go over to www.troweprice.com and register for free online access. You do not need to have any money there, nor purchase any of their funds. If you cannot find how to register on the site, try this link: https://www3.troweprice.com/aaweb1/accountAccess/publicRegister.do
2. Login to your account there, then click on "Use Morningstar tools". You will have to find this link yourself (it's homework after all!).
3. Then click on "Instant X-ray". Enter just one (1) of your funds and show the X-ray.
4. Report here in this thread, the name of the fund and the 9-box "stock style" grid that is shown in the X-ray (we need 9 numbers here).
5. What percent of assets in your fund has the style mid cap growth?

As we work on our asset allocation tutorial, we intend to explain what all these numbers mean, but you have to be able to get the numbers for yourself, so please do the homework. Thanks!

Last edited:
I want to play!

I'll get right on my homework tonight. But please don't go too fast - some of us still have to work for a living.....:(

BTW – I went directly to http://www.morningstar.com/Cover/Tools.html and chose Instant X-ray. I didn’t feel warm and fuzzy giving TRowePrice my SSN and DOB. I am sort of protective of that.
You may change your mind when we start working with portfolios. Can you save several portfolios of assets at M* and get/find/edit/modify them the next time you login?

And I don't recall TRP needing SSN and DOB.

When I tried to log in, they asked for my SSN and PIN. With no PIN, I have to give them my DOB and something else. Let's see if anyone else had this issue or if it was just me.

I don't know if I can do all that stuff at Morningstar....I will check it out.

Audrey, thanks for the link. Should it be required reading over the course of this tutorial?
IMO - yes. Or maybe sections of it - or for "extra credit". I suppose you should read it yourself and see what you think. It was a lifesaver for me.

I found it easier to digest than reading The Efficient Frontier directly.

Audrey

Last edited:
You may change your mind when we start working with portfolios. Can you save several portfolios of assets at M* and get/find/edit/modify them the next time you login?

And I don't recall TRP needing SSN and DOB.

I too got to a registration page when wanting to use the X-Ray. It wanted my SSN.

No thanks. I'm not playing that game.

OK, here we go with the 1st homework assignment.

1. Go over to www.troweprice.com and register for free online access. You do not need to have any money there, nor purchase any of their funds.
2. Login to your account there, then click on "Use Morningstar tools". You will have to find this link yourself (it's homework after all!).
3. Then click on "Instant X-ray". Enter just one (1) of your funds and show the X-ray.

And for those who don't have mutual funds in their portfolio, what do they do?

I still need someone to confirm that they can register for free. The site is a little different than when I registered many moons ago. If we can't register for free, that's gonna be the end of this tutorial.

Viola!!!!!!!!!!

Registered for free no SSN needed.

Vanguard Emerging Market (veiex)
29 26 26
8 6 4
1 1 0

Mid Cap Growth = zero % of portfolio

Back
Top Bottom