Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Assistance with my (semi) FIRE plan
Old 03-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Assistance with my (semi) FIRE plan

I'm not sure if I'll ever want to completely retire, but my wife and I would like complete flexibility in where we live/work and how much we work. My wife may like to completely FIRE and is interested in hitting an FI number. I could see myself working part-time, possibly making $20-50k for a while.

We're currently in our mid-30's, have one toddler and may have another child. Our portfolio is ~$900k, we spend about $75k a year (I could see spending increasing to $80k-$100k) and save about $100-$120k a year. My wife's income is about $150k and has climbed the corporate ladder but is getting a bit burned out. Her company is having layoffs and she may look to take a package in a year or two or even possibly call it quits a bit later. My income is $75k and I have good job stability and flexibility -- I bet I could cut my hours down to 30 a week or even 20 eventually.

We both didn't grow up with a lot of money so I think we get overly concerned about it. Yet, at the same time, we want to take advantage of enjoying life -- going on adventures, travelings, spending family time, not putting in the daily grind. I think we're both pretty employable and should be able to find jobs if need be or if we decide we want to work more after taking a hiatus.

We don't really have a set plan, but I wonder if having something more concrete with goals would be a good thing. It seems like an easy trap is "I need to save $1M", then it turns into $1.5M then $2M, etc. Anyway, I just wanted to give a bit of a background and am interested in any feedback/advice/direction anyone can provide.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
iW4EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,880
Welcome. I think your question is "how much money do I need to have to retire in my mid 30's with spending anticipated to be 80,000 to 100,000 a year".


-Edited to correct spending.-
__________________

__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Welcome. I think your question is "how much money do I need to have to retire in my mid 30's with spending anticipated to be 100,000 to 120,000 a year".
Thanks for the reply. I anticipate spending to be $80k-$100k during early retirement, but could drop down to about $50k or less if times get tough. Also, when I reach ~62, I anticipate spending to drop down to about $60k and anticipate my wife and I to get maybe $25k a year through social security combined.

Also, Id like to keep working part time so that income will help.

I guess my question is less about the numbers (SWR, FireCalc) and more about the philosophy of doing something outside the box and when to consider making the transitions (my wife stopping work, myself switching to part time).
__________________
iW4EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,880
I'll let the very early retirees weigh in on their experiences and you can extrapolate from there. For me, the key is to have the money part covered, then you can work or not work as you like.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by iW4EV View Post
I'm not sure if I'll ever want to completely retire, but my wife and I would like complete flexibility in where we live/work and how much we work. My wife may like to completely FIRE and is interested in hitting an FI number. I could see myself working part-time, possibly making $20-50k for a while.

We're currently in our mid-30's, have one toddler and may have another child. Our portfolio is ~$900k, we spend about $75k a year (I could see spending increasing to $80k-$100k) and save about $100-$120k a year. My wife's income is about $150k and has climbed the corporate ladder but is getting a bit burned out. Her company is having layoffs and she may look to take a package in a year or two or even possibly call it quits a bit later. My income is $75k and I have good job stability and flexibility -- I bet I could cut my hours down to 30 a week or even 20 eventually.

We both didn't grow up with a lot of money so I think we get overly concerned about it. Yet, at the same time, we want to take advantage of enjoying life -- going on adventures, travelings, spending family time, not putting in the daily grind. I think we're both pretty employable and should be able to find jobs if need be or if we decide we want to work more after taking a hiatus.

We don't really have a set plan, but I wonder if having something more concrete with goals would be a good thing. It seems like an easy trap is "I need to save $1M", then it turns into $1.5M then $2M, etc. Anyway, I just wanted to give a bit of a background and am interested in any feedback/advice/direction anyone can provide.

Thanks
With high incomes and/or some offsetting investment income and low expenses it is possible to just work 25% of the time and still live quite well. ER doesn't have to be all or nothing, especially if you have a hobby job or business you enjoy that also makes money.

What we have focused on these last few years has been finding expenses to cut that increased, or at least did not decrease, our desired standard of living.
__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,424
I suggest that you run your situation through Quicken Lifetime Planner, which is included in Quicken Deluxe and higher versions of Quicken. Provide information in a bunch of screens and it shows your nestegg growing and then declining and how long it would be expected to last. A good place to start.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'll let the very early retirees weigh in on their experiences and you can extrapolate from there. For me, the key is to have the money part covered, then you can work or not work as you like.
I too would feel better if I had enough so I didn't have to worry about the money part and just call it quits completely and have work be optional. But it seems like I would need to have a ton -- like $3M which would push my retirement date back quite a bit. I think I'd rather work part time sooner and for a bit longer because there are certain things I won't be able to do when I'm older.

But what I may do is start figuring out my minimum expenses. I could wait until I reach 25X those expenses and then work part time to cover things like travel, hobbies, new car, going out to eat, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
With high incomes and/or some offsetting investment income and low expenses it is possible to just work 25% of the time and still live quite well. ER doesn't have to be all or nothing, especially if you have a hobby job or business you enjoy that also makes money.

What we have focused on these last few years has been finding expenses to cut that increased, or at least did not decrease, our desired standard of living.
I think I'll start tracking expenses closer. I'm pretty sure that when I have more free time, my expenses will go up -- mostly due to hobbies and more time to travel, but at least those will be things I can reduce if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I suggest that you run your situation through Quicken Lifetime Planner, which is included in Quicken Deluxe and higher versions of Quicken. Provide information in a bunch of screens and it shows your nestegg growing and then declining and how long it would be expected to last. A good place to start.
I just have Macs and it looks like the Mac version doesn't come with it. I do have a spreadsheet that estimates my portfolio growth and have used FireCalc. Do you know if those tools are similar or I wonder if there's something else online?
__________________
iW4EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by iW4EV View Post
......I just have Macs and it looks like the Mac version doesn't come with it. I do have a spreadsheet that estimates my portfolio growth and have used FireCalc. Do you know if those tools are similar or I wonder if there's something else online?
You can do the same thing with other tools it is just that IMO QLP is more intuitive and easier to use and the screens help make sure you have all bases covered.
__________________

__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Heresy: On Fire for Semi-FIRE Whisper9999 Young Dreamers 21 10-19-2008 09:39 AM
CPA/CFP Assistance needed. two4theroad FIRE and Money 5 05-23-2007 02:37 PM
Trusts to shield your income/qualify for assistance -- maybe not pedorrero Health and Early Retirement 35 04-13-2007 03:25 AM
Gang, I Need a Little Assistance with Lawyer Jokes... jdmorton Other topics 15 02-04-2007 02:46 PM
Partnership for Prescription Assistance mykidslovedogs Health and Early Retirement 0 12-20-2006 12:06 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.