Join Early Retirement Today

At a Glance Look at Pricing Strategies
Old 03-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At a Glance Look at Pricing Strategies

TaxAct has been trying to get my attention as you can see from their emails. It's interesting to see their pricing strategy, and their attempts to make higher prices look like a sale:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I've scratched my head a few times over some of those Tax Act emails. I normally just pay when I need to get a printout or need something not offered w/o paying, and pay whatever it is at the time. For a one/year expense, I don't get too worried about a few bucks plus/minus.

I see I paid 19.99 this year (Fed and one state). Looks like the $17.99 is the best they offer regularly, if I see that $15.99, I should probably just do it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I've been using it since 1995... I think named 2nd Story...
With a simple return, it has worked for me... haven't had to pay taxes since those early days...
One nice thing about being poor, is that it only takes about 20 minutes to complete the Federal return, and another 10 to finish the state return.

On the other hand, it could be worth it to have more money and take a little longer to file.

Paid the $15.99 in December
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If you are poor enough, can't you file for free via the irs.gov site links ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
or have Vita or TaxAide file for you.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yep IRS Free File

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have used the IRS free file for my mothers return, all free ( I may start using it for mine ). Worth a look if you qualify.

Using TaxAct since 98 when they started. They usually offer a lockin special for the next year return, also have specials on slickdeals, TaxACT Coupons, Promo Codes, Deals & Sales - Mar. 2015 | Slickdeals
It's still active for ultimate bundle for $11.99

TaxAct started from the leftovers of Personal Tax Edge ( Parsons Technology ), another victim of Intuit. I think one of the reason I dislike TT/Intuit is over the years they have managed to buy up and destroy many of the financial software programs I used and was happy with.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I have used the IRS free file for my mothers return, all free ( I may start using it for mine ). Worth a look if you qualify.

Using TaxAct since 98 when they started. They usually offer a lockin special for the next year return, also have specials on slickdeals, TaxACT Coupons, Promo Codes, Deals & Sales - Mar. 2015 | Slickdeals
It's still active for ultimate bundle for $11.99

TaxAct started from the leftovers of Personal Tax Edge ( Parsons Technology ), another victim of Intuit. I think one of the reason I dislike TT/Intuit is over the years they have managed to buy up and destroy many of the financial software programs I used and was happy with.
It's funny though. Microsoft tried really hard to destroy Intuit with Microsoft Money.

Maybe Intuit just adopted those same tactics.