Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am like OP - a middle management at Megacorp with a fat paycheck but bumping against a glass ceiling. Rather than look for another job and add to my stress, I opted to continue working at my current job and revisit RE decision every 6 months. It is no longer a career but a job. I do it for $$$.

Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #22
DW is pretty motivated by titles as well, so I understand that. When she starts lamenting situations about titles at work, I ask how much more XXXX pays vs. YYYY and if there's more benefit involved. Usually, the answer is no, and usually it's just a change or step increase in responsibility. When it's framed that way, she's pretty happy to keep whatever title she has and just angle for more money.

My advice - and my action in this case, if it were me - would be to swallow your pride. As others said, in 10 years when you're retired, it won't matter one bit.

"So we beat to our own drummer in the sun;
We ask for nobody's permission to run.
I just wanna live in a world like that;
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond and advise. Some of you mentioned stock options and bonuses and that's certainly the case. I get those today but will be higher with the next title.

However, looks like the consensus is to fly under the radar and stay focused on the bigger goal...ER. In the meantime, or when the job market opens up to the pre-2008 levels, may be another opportunity will come along to jump ship.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #24
Some of you mentioned stock options and bonuses and that's certainly the case. I get those today but will be higher with the next title.
Do you KNOW how much higher. At some steps the difference is quite substantial, and if that is the case you might want to fight for what is appropriate for the job you apparently are already doing.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:15 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
while I have been given the salary promotion they wouldn't give me the title.
Consider yourself lucky. I wish I had the appropriate salary for the position I hold.

would you be happy cleaning bathrooms for twice the money you make now?
That would possibly make me the best-paid cleaning person in the world. What more can you expect to achieve in your chosen career?

Also, usually you can put whatever title you want on a business card.
Huh? Not at my megacorp. We are (Senior) Experts/(Senior) Managers/Directors/(Senior/Executive) VPs, etc., and all that is VERY well defined by HR.

I am willing to perform services in exchange for currency. For now.
RISP is offline   Reply With Quote