Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

At the 'end' do you plan on spending to zero or leave a legacy?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

At the 'end' do you plan on spending to zero or leave a legacy?

How close to zero do you plan for what will remain of your savings at the 'end' of their retirement?

Or, do you plan for a certain 'margin' based on longevity that will be passed on as your legacy to a surviving partner, family, or charity?
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the reality is that SWR are likely to result in a residual. In our case we have kids so it will be passed on. However, I have told them if there is an inheritance then it is a result of estimating error, but I concede that isn't totally true.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

None of the above. I have no target amount at the end, I simply plan (and hope) to not run out of money before running out of us, as the plan also includes DW.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I certainly hope to have some left, but I won't be eating Ramen noodles to make that happen.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
If we live to the median life expectancy, there will be a substantial legacy. If we are in the top 10% in longevity, especially with LTC issues, there will be none.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Barring death before age 90, perfect scenario (our plan) would be to have zero net worth living in a rental overlooking the water. Cola'd pensions and social security providing our needs.

Nest egg used in younger years to fund our wildest dreams. Children and grandchildren would have no use for inheritance as they took the same path.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #7

Using a conservative draw rate to prepare for possible LTC... and a pretty good likelihood of receiving an inheritance in the future, we'll likely kick the bucket with money left in there. Most will go to our children and some will go to charity.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We're expecting the kids won't be too disappointed, but they know we won't deprive ourselves to make their bank accounts fatter. We have and will probably continue to help them along the way, so even if we spend our last nickel they'll have gotten something.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Our trust's purpose is to provide for each other's support during our lifetimes. If there is money left at the end, it goes to the kids equally, if not, sorry. We sat down and told them this. They all got expensive educations, that was our donation.

Likely the house will be left - which we ordered sold by the executor (so there will be no issues) and funds disbursed.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #10

The saver mentality is so ingrained it will be difficult to spend it down to zero.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
None of the above. I have no target amount at the end, I simply plan (and hope) to not run out of money before running out of us, as the plan also includes DW.

+1

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We hope to give plenty away BEFORE we die rather than after.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #13

I expect there will be quite a bit left because my pension covers my living expenses. If there is a need for an extensive period of long term care then the leftovers may be quite reduced. I am not worrying about it. No children so I will leave some to charity and some to family members.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

There is no way that I would PLAN to end up with $0.00 . It's bad enough to be broke without having to acknowledge to myself that I consciously planned for that to happen.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I want to be so broke at the end that someone will have to pay to get rid of my remains. It's my way of getting even for some crap (years of it) along the way.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #16

Single and no kids (and likely to stay that way), so no dependents to worry about. As I like to tell people, I'll probably spend my nonexistant kids' college money on a Ferrari or a Beechcraft.

I'm sure I'll give away some to the church or charities while I'm still living, but I'm not going to hold back spending anything just to leave some kind of legacy to anybody when I'm gone. My relatives are all grown adults who are responsible for their own financial well-being (and that of their kids, whom I'm not close to anyway), so I don't plan on leaving anything to family members, nor do I expect to receive anything from their estates if they die before me (which is highly likely, as my siblings are all significantly older than me).
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The saver mentality is so ingrained it will be difficult to spend it down to zero.
+1. I just cannot get my mind around the idea of spending down our savings now. We do plan on giving some to the kids every year after we are older rather than leaving it all to them when we die.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
How close to zero do you plan for what will remain of your savings at the 'end' of their retirement?

Or, do you plan for a certain 'margin' based on longevity that will be passed on as your legacy to a surviving partner, family, or charity?

Loosely, I have $250k - $700k cushion just in case things don't work out (unexpected big expenses, prolonged equity market downturn, ...). Realistically, I think I will have over $1M leftover when everything is said and done.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

30 to 40 years left to fine tune, change perspective, or not, that is the hope anyway.
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

How can one 'plan' for this? Outside of buying a lot of annuities, and living on those plus SS/pension - that could be a plan to leave near zero at death.

My only plan was to have enough funds to reduce the chances that we run out of money even if we live to the outside range of LE. My plan may fail. Historically, it is more likely we will die with a substantial NW.

But it's the same plan - only the future which tell us which result we end up with.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote