Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #21
gone traveling

We're living off dividends/interest + SS, charitably donating significantly imo, and living life as we want to w/o eating much into principle. Net, the dividend/interest producing assets are bound to be there at the end unless things drastically change. We're not interested in changing our life to eat into those assets at a faster rate.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #22

Our plan A has us spending our investible assets - if we live long enough. But we have a pricy SoCal home that will either go to the kids (to be sold and proceeds divided) or be used for LTC.

Like all of this - flexibility and adaptation will guide us. But we don't feel obligated to leave a big nest egg to the kids.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
None of the above. I have no target amount at the end, I simply plan (and hope) to not run out of money before running out of us, as the plan also includes DW.
That.

Absent the need for LTC some relatives will be pleasantly surprised but they won't be able to retire with it.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Self insuring for LTC. I expect DD will drag me out of the mountains (kicking and screaming all the way) when the time comes so I will need to find a place to live down along the Front Range. I will have enough in pension and SS to live on once my SS kicks in. I should have enough for all possibilities, but I have no clue what that will be or what will be left.

If FIRECalc is close, maybe I will spend the last few days lighting cigars with 100 dollar bills. (Wait! I'm moving to Colorado! I could use those funny little cigarets rather than cigars! )
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
(Wait! I'm moving to Colorado! I could use those funny little cigarets rather than cigars! )
Let me sit next to you for a while when you do that.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The saver mentality is so ingrained it will be difficult to spend it down to zero.
+1

To my chagrin. We're working on it though!
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Provided by pension stays solvent, my situation is inverse. The longer I live the better the chance my daughter receives an inheritance. If I was her, I would be hoping for the middling scenario.... I live long enough to accumulate plenty of assets to transfer to her, but not long enough to where she is too old to do anything with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a bit surprised so many here 'hope' that the money doesn't run out.

I guess being an engineer, I over analyze, but I've done some mortality table look ups, added a margin of years to that, then run my own estimates bracketed by zero return on investments and a very conservative return to see if the savings will last to the estimate age of my demise.

As a coworker of mine said "Hope is not a plan".
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I will die first and will leave what I can to him.
He will have to figure out how to live on reduced amount.
I have no control after that.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
And certainty is uncertain.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
And certainty is uncertain.

That's what happens if you're a romantic rover.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised so many here 'hope' that the money doesn't run out.

I guess being an engineer, I over analyze, but I've done some mortality table look ups, added a margin of years to that, then run my own estimates bracketed by zero return on investments and a very conservative return to see if the savings will last to the estimate age of my demise.

A WR of 3.5% IS my plan. And I surely hope that the money does not run out, because I plan to cut back to 3.5% of "current balance" if necessary.

The truth is that the biggest uncertainty is my longevity; the money issue is much less important.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

And when you start retirement, w/o a crystal ball, what can you do but take a historically conservative WR% and then 'hope' that the future is not worse than the worst of the past? It's not something we have control over.

And you re-evaluate as time marches on.

So what is your plan, that contains certainty? Did you use your engineering skills to build a time machine?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And when you start retirement, w/o a crystal ball, what can you do but take a historically conservative WR% and then 'hope' that the future is not worse than the worst of the past? It's not something we have control over.

And you re-evaluate as time marches on.

So what is your plan, that contains certainty? Did you use your engineering skills to build a time machine?

-ERD50
Gee - thanks for the poke in the eye....

At least I'm crunching numbers and coming up with some sort of estimate.

My question was related to - have people actually tried to plan this out? Of course times change, but shrugging the shoulders and resigning yourself to not even trying is not very responsible, imo, of course.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My question was related to - have people actually tried to plan this out? Of course times change, but shrugging the shoulders and resigning yourself to not even trying is not very responsible, imo, of course.
Not a poke in the eye, just trying to understand the question, and your comments (which some might see as poking at them), that they are just 'hoping' and don't have a 'plan'.

And who says others are not 'crunching the numbers'? This forum crunches numbers ad nauseum. FIRECalc is a number cruncher.

Looking at your 'plan' -
Quote:
Can you provide specifics? Mortality - how many years margin, and margin relative to what? Mean, 10%, 5%, 1%?

And aren't you 'hoping' that your portfolio will provide at least a real return? What if it doesn't? I just don't see the distinction between what you are saying, and what you seem to be chastising others for?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I will die first and will leave what I can to him.
He will have to figure out how to live on reduced amount.
I have no control after that.
"I will die first" was my plan too. Hope it works out better for you than it did for me.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #37
Administrator

Quote:

I planned for one of us to live to 95 and maintain a certain level of spending. The calculators show we will leave a chunk of money to our children even in the worst situation. If this turns out to be correct then we will be very happy. We have told our kids not to expect anything.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This forum crunches numbers ad nauseum.
Yeah, that.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm "hoping" that our returns will be so good that I'll have extra money to give as part of a charitable gift annuity or something similar while I'm still alive. No kids, might leave a little to my nephews, but hope to give away what I can while I'm still alive.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #40

The plan here calls for both of us to live to age 100. Since DW is two years younger, that's a long time.

Still, how can anyone really plan for everything?

The mother of a friend died not long ago at 103, and she needed round-the-clock care for her last five years. Since we're self-insuring for LTC, a stray statistic like that just boggles my mind. Who can possibly predict what that kind of care will cost so far in the future?

Consequently, I behave very, very conservatively in financial matters. Ignoring pension and SS, the portfolio is 70% equities, but much lower with those items included. I feel this is my safest course of action.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote