At This Rate

gerntz

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My portfolio will be up 400-500% in 2013!:D

I suppose that folk are relieved that some kind of a "fiscal cliff" deal was done. I imagine we'll give back at least some of those gains over the next few days.

Don't underestimate the power of compounding. I am up 2.56% today, and there are 250 trading days in a year.

So, 1.0256^250 = 555. I would be a billionaire long before the year end.

Don't underestimate the power of compounding. I am up 2.56% today, and there are 250 trading days in a year.

Never fear the tax brackets will be adjusted to compensate.:LOL:

At this rate, equities may be the only thing that can beat trading forex.

A concern I would have is that if I became a billionaire, then what would be the net worth of Buffet, Carlos Slim, and the like? They would still be able to bury me with their money. It's still not fair!

Also, if and when I become a billionaire, most likely a gallon of milk will cost $1000. So, what's the point?

Last edited:
Credit card arbitrage, dumpster diving for profit. Only the highest quality and profitable investments.

Some of youse guys are gonna jinx us all...

I assume the next time the market dives you'll report that you'll be bankrupt in X days. ;)

The most unlucky scenario would be if I became a billionaire this year. That would have meant hyperinflation Zimbabwe style. No, nobody can be that pessimistic!

And if the market tanks? Hey, misery loves company. Remember all the camaraderie here during the Great Recession of 2008-2009, when people licked their wound at market close and commiserated about the money lost that day? Without down periods, life would be dull.

I am getting my booze cabinet stocked up.

I've got plenty to cry into. ;)

At the rate Bernanke is printing money, you could be a "billionaire" any day now...enjoy your $100m car...

:cool:

Just looked at my 401(k), and my YEAR-TO-DATE rate of return is 12.40%. Woot!!!!

How's this for bad luck. My wifes company moved their 401K from John Hancock to Vanguard on 12/31. Why is this bad luck? Because all of her assets in the old 401K were sold at the end of business on 12/31 and weren't reinvested in Vanguard until after close today! We were totally out of the market today due to no fault of our own. UGH! Figured it cost us at least $10K. Oh well. As long as the market continues these gains the rest of the year.......

How's this for bad luck. My wifes company moved their 401K from John Hancock to Vanguard on 12/31. Why is this bad luck? Because all of her assets in the old 401K were sold at the end of business on 12/31 and weren't reinvested in Vanguard until after close today! We were totally out of the market today due to no fault of our own. UGH! Figured it cost us at least $10K. Oh well. As long as the market continues these gains the rest of the year.......
That is bad. Sorry for your luck.

My portfolio will be up 400-500% in 2013!:D
Isn't there some saying about don't count your eggs......

But at this rate, my withdrawal will be paid for in another day or two!

Shhhhhhh - don't wake up W2R!

Having some uncertain things made certain is quite valuable.

Last edited:

Bummer :(

As there was no MF that went up that much in a single day, I also wondered what single stock would go up that much. There are, but they are usually small microcap stocks. So, did he put it all in his company stock?

Anyway, I myself do have a position that went up 12.72% today! :cool:

It's a triple-leveraged ETF called SOXL (Semiconductor Bull 3X) that I mentioned once before in another thread. I use it as a short-term market-timing play, and have not had more than 1% of portfolio in this position as it is extremely volatile. I could easily give back all the gain tomorrow. See http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/lol-s-market-timing-newsletter-57042.html.

The next runner-up in my portfolio is X (US Steel), up 8.55% today. So, I hope that if MelBay's 401k was really up 12.4% in one day, he would tell us what he held.

Last edited:
As there was no MF that went up that much in a single day, I also wondered what single stock would go up that much. There are, but they are usually small microcap stocks. So, did he put it all in his company stock?

Anyway, I myself do have a position that went up 12.72% today! :cool:

It's a triple-leveraged ETF called SOXL (Semiconductor Bull 3X) that I mentioned once before in another thread. I use it as a market-timing play, and have not had more than 1% of portfolio in this position as it is extremely volatile. I could easily give back all the gain tomorrow. See http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/lol-s-market-timing-newsletter-57042.html.

The next runner-up in my portfolio is X (US Steel), up 8.55% today. So, I hope that if MelBay 401k was really up 12.4% in one day, he would tell us what he held.
Um, you think his 401K would let him buy those things? LOL!

No, not the leveraged ETFs, but he could be working for a small company, and they let him put it all on their stock.

Speaking of putting it "all in", my wife's former megacorp (a big financial corp that has been one of the Dow 30s forever) used to let its employees buy 100% company stock. They now limit employee 401k to 30% company stock.

I advised my wife to sell and get all out in 2008! She used to have 50% in it, and it did very well through her 29-yr employment career.

Last edited:
Some of youse guys are gonna jinx us all...

I assume the next time the market dives you'll report that you'll be bankrupt in X days. ;)

In 2008, I often reported my days to bankruptcy, I didn't need too many -100K+ days to hit it. :mad:

But after today I am happy to report that if my portfolio continues to perform as well as today I will join the Billionaire ranks shortly before my birthday in Aug.:dance:

The most unlucky scenario would be if I became a billionaire this year. That would have meant hyperinflation Zimbabwe style. No, nobody can be that pessimistic!

And if the market tanks? Hey, misery loves company. Remember all the camaraderie here during the Great Recession of 2008-2009, when people licked their wound at market close and commiserated about the money lost that day? Without down periods, life would be dull.

Careful now! Some times we do get what we wish for. But with the two given ones I don't find myself very wishful at all...

Hmm... I looked at the two scenarios I described, and indeed it would be tough to choose between a rock and a hard place.

Sorry that I have not been more generous, but few people ever accuse me of being an optimist.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom