Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Attitude towards planning purchases an indicator of wealth
Old 10-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
... In the meantime, DW and I have built up a pile of stuff - it just seems too much effort to get rid of it.
That is the point I was getting at. These people seem to be overwhelmed by the thought of getting rid of their stuff. One specifically said that he was planning to leave the problem to his daughter. The daughter and son have already been offered their choice so for sure everything is surplus.

I wondered if they might enjoy putting their van in the garage again, especially in the eastern winter. Maybe putting their clothes in a closet where they are not crushed together.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

It can be a great deal of effort to get rid of stuff. That's why a lot of people put it off - it seems overwhelming We did for many years of retirement. Then when we realized that we wanted to live in an RV, we had to put our lives on hold for many months to get rid of most of our stuff so that we could sell our house. But it was SO WORTH IT.

I know a lot of children get saddled with having to clear out their parents stuff when their parents pass on.

Audrey

Old 10-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
It can be a great deal of effort to get rid of stuff.
Not if the gondola is large enough!

OK, kidding aside, I did have to clean out my Dad's house after he passed away. He was not a pack rat, but there was a large home full of his and Mom's stuff. (She pre-deceased him by a decade. Her personal items were gone, of course, but furniture, etc., was all there.)

I had one week of vacation to do the job and he lived 600 miles from me. I went down in my pickup truck. The first day I called a scavaging service and set an appointment and also scheduled professional house cleaners. The next day I took several hours and loaded the best of Dad's tools and a few small items he built into the truck and went through the house and gathered a couple boxes of family items I wanted. The third day I watched the scavenger service empty the rest. The fourth and fifth day I watched the professional cleaning service scrub down the empty house. Then I went home. It really wasn't a big deal and I did it easily without help from DW or the kids.

It would have been tough for him emotionally to do it and I didn't mind giving up less than one week. Admittedly, he wasn't a pack rat and the scavanger service cleared things out in a few hours. If he had had rooms packed with crap, I suppose that would have been a different story.