Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Austere Times? Perfect
Old 04-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Austere Times? Perfect

A good article with some useful links for the frugal amongst us:

In Age of Austerity, the Miserly Thrive

Quote:
Americans’ spending is down and their personal savings are up — sharply. The savings rate in the United States, which had fallen steadily since the early 1980s, dropped to less than 1 percent in August of 2008. It has since spiked to 5 percent.

“It’s huge,” said Martha Olney, an economics professor at the University of California, Berkeley, who specializes in the Great Depression, consumerism and indebtedness. The rapid reversal is even more remarkable, she said, because in recessions consumers usually save less money. Not this time. “It implies a re-emergence of thrift as a value,” she said.
Quote:
Indeed, economists call it the Paradox of Thrift. While saving is desirable, if everyone does it then consumption falls, businesses fail and the economy grinds to a halt. Professor Olney, from Berkeley, said that the increased rate of savings would most likely slow down the pace of recovery but she also said that a higher savings rate was not inconsistent with a strong economy; from the 1950s to the early 1980s, the savings rate hovered around 9 percent, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I sincerely hope this is for real, and not a fad...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the link. This will be a fad for some and a lifestyle for others. We are all grown and can make our own decisions.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The savings rate "has since spiked to 5 percent"? Be still, my heart.

That does not seem like very much savings. Possibly some of these savings may be for anticipated large expenditures now that credit is harder to obtain.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if the increase in savings rate benefits banks significantly.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
That does not seem like very much savings.
It isn't, especially when some of us here who are saving 20%, 30%, even 50% of their after-tax income are screwing up the curve so badly. Yet it's rather amazing how, in terms of economics, what doesn't "seem" like a huge shift in the savings rate can tank the economy when it comes so suddenly and reaches critical mass. Kinda scary, really, if you think about it.

Every time I see another one of these "frugal is sexy" articles, it makes me want to market bumper stickers that say "I was a cheapskate before cheap was cool."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
it makes me want to market bumper stickers that say "I was a cheapskate before cheap was cool."
Hmmmmm. The timing seems right. Of course, you would probably make a fortune and forget us little people.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it makes me want to market bumper stickers that say "I was a cheapskate before cheap was cool."
I'd buy one, with a discount...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Hmmmmm. The timing seems right. Of course, you would probably make a fortune and forget us little people.
You'd know everyone who slapped it on their car is a liar, because cheapskates wouldn't spend the money for one.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You'd know everyone who slapped it on their car is a liar, because cheapskates wouldn't spend the money for one.
Ah Ha! I believe you have your target sucker market nailed. Certainly seems large enough.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Every time I see another one of these "frugal is sexy" articles, it makes me want to market bumper stickers that say "I was a cheapskate before cheap was cool."
Can I get one for free?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Right on. Now if only the ladies I date would stop expecting me to routinely pay for $300 dinners and $25 per drink.

Me: "Hungry? I know this great little Thai place. The food is fantastic!"

Them: <long, vaguely-threatening pause> "... or we could go to <yuppie palace of financial pain for portions so small that the food inevitably arrives cold.>"
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grep View Post
Right on. Now if only the ladies I date would stop expecting me to routinely pay for $300 dinners and $25 per drink.

Me: "Hungry? I know this great little Thai place. The food is fantastic!"

Them: <long, vaguely-threatening pause> "... or we could go to <yuppie palace of financial pain for portions so small that the food inevitably arrives cold.>"
Agreed. Those places are more see-and-be-seen than bastions of gastronomic delight.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The authentic ones are made with magic marker and duct tape.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grep View Post
Sounds like you need to date a new set of ladies... but at least it's good to find out up front how bad the pain could be if you'd persevered.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
They'd use the sticker to patch a hole on their pants. Nay, a real cheap skate would just use his hand to cover up the hole.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The authentic ones are made with magic marker and duct tape.
And the duct tape is actually holding the bumper in place.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Sounds like you need to date a new set of ladies... but at least it's good to find out up front how bad the pain could be if you'd persevered.
The "desert" that may follow can be fun. But yes, if they are not roughly compatible on the frugality scale, they don't last long.
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote