Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually it's not, when you consider that such families tend to cluster in certain areas (we live in one such, although we are nowhere near the 1%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
It's hard to imagine one out of every hundred families in the US with a NW of over $10MM.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Plumbers and electricians in my area make a pretty good living. 80 to 100k with overtime.

Don’t they require some training or certification? I know my previous megacorp had a lot of them on staff.

I think a good degree is required for a number of positions. There are always antidotal stories of someone being successful without a degree - just like those interviews with rap/sports stars. You may succeed but also a big chance that you don’t. A degree is usually a safer bet.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Usually skilled trades people participate in a 4 year apprenticeship program. For the first 2 years they work 4 days a week and attend a technical school for 1 day/week. So they are learning both on the job and with formal schooling.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
It depends.

I worked for a Fortune 5 company. I remember going to a company-affiliated after hours event...and one of the union guys, approximately our age, was giving us engineers hell for having wasted 4-6 years in college pursuing our educations. He had hired in right after high school, and worked his way up in the skilled trades (plumber, electrician, etc.) within the union. Compared to us, he had 4-6 years more seniority, a very nice hourly wage, got paid for every minute of overtime, and a much better benefits package. Plus he didn't waste money buying business suits to wear to work.

omni

When did this occur? I have lots of similar experiences but they go back quite a bit.