Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Not retired yet, but I'm using $1500/mo or $18k/yr in my planning spreadsheet. My company retirement medical is ~$1000/mo now. We probably haven't lost it because the retirees pay nearly the entire premium. Hopefully, Medicare will still be around and the $1500 will drop WAY off at 65.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Does Medicare in the US cover everything after 65?

My friends over 65 tell me that Medicare covers 80% but at US healthcare costs the 20% can bankrupt you. But then they tell me that in practice they're never paid anything out-of-pocket. I'm trying to decide if I can afford healthcare the US or just go back home to Canada.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm guardian for my great aunt and take care of her finances. She has a Medicare supplement insurance policy that costs her about $200 a month. Between that and Medicare, she doesn't pay a thing.

She might have to in certain situations, be even with a couple hospital visits earlier this year she hasn't had to pay a thing.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_at_49 View Post
Does Medicare in the US cover everything after 65?

My friends over 65 tell me that Medicare covers 80% but at US healthcare costs the 20% can bankrupt you. But then they tell me that in practice they're never paid anything out-of-pocket. I'm trying to decide if I can afford healthcare the US or just go back home to Canada.
My own personal experience is that Medicare never pays the full amount the dr charges. But most of the time, my dr accepts the Medicare payment and does not send the balance to my supplementary ins.

My supplementary ins has a high deductible so I have yet to ever reach it. I have it because it is very cheap, covers drugs, and is there should I ever incur really expensive bills.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm guardian for my great aunt and take care of her finances. She has a Medicare supplement insurance policy that costs her about $200 a month. Between that and Medicare, she doesn't pay a thing.

She might have to in certain situations, be even with a couple hospital visits earlier this year she hasn't had to pay a thing.
So that would be about $300 in premiums including Medicare Part B. Most people will have some extra out of pocket expenses as well. For most retirees in other countries those costs seem outrageously high. I also have an issue with the ridiculous complexity of US retiree health insurance. There are so many bits and pieces and options that I'm sure very few people undestand what's covered.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #26

Interesting update this morning from USA Today :

Health insurers learn how to woo customers: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...elves/1744147/
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Interesting update this morning from USA Today :

Health insurers learn how to woo customers: Health care overhaul means insurers will pitch wares to individuals

It’s very sad to read that, Americans still see healthcare as a business. Why should insurance brokers be taking a share of your health care dollars? Insurance companies are just unnecessary middlemen.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

From what you guys are saying, for people over 65, Medicare does NOT cover everything as it does in Canada and the EU. So the threat of huge unexpected expenses scares retirees into buying additional insurance? $300/mo.

A few days ago I got my annual renewal from BlueCross, a 30% increase to ~$320/month and it pays for NOTHING! It only kicks-in after I’ve paid the first $5,000. And in a few years when I’m 65 I will still be paying the same or more for supplemental insurance?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I pay $45/mo for a Medicare supplement policy which has a $2,000 deductible before it kicks in.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_at_49 View Post
From what you guys are saying, for people over 65, Medicare does NOT cover everything as it does in Canada and the EU. So the threat of huge unexpected expenses scares retirees into buying additional insurance? $300/mo.
In the US Medicare Part A is free, Part B costs $99 per month and then you have to buy a supplemental policy to cover drugs and stuff that parts A and B don't cover. You'll be looking at around $200/month min and there will be deductibles and co-pays too. The worst aspect of the system is it's complexity and "patch work quilt" of numerous coverages.

So the answer to your question is that US retirees have to pay on going health care premiums in retirement even after a lifetime of paying for medicare through payroll taxes and on top of that there's out of pocket costs. It's not like the UK where there's no out of pocket costs for the NHS and no premiums to pay.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post

In the US Medicare Part A is free, Part B costs $99 per month and then you have to buy a supplemental policy to cover drugs and stuff that parts A and B don't cover. You'll be looking at around $200/month min and there will be deductibles and co-pays too. The worst aspect of the system is it's complexity and "patch work quilt" of numerous coverages.

So the answer to your question is that US retirees have to pay on going health care premiums in retirement even after a lifetime of paying for medicare through payroll taxes and on top of that there's out of pocket costs. It's not like the UK where there's no out of pocket costs for the NHS and no premiums to pay.
Gee I wonder (not really) where the money comes from that does pay for all that UK care.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #32

Obviously general taxation revenue so the UK retiree contributes through that. But the UK taxation levels are similar to those in the US. The US retiree also gets a raw deal because of the inflated cost of US healthcare and the ridiculous complexity of the system.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Gee I wonder (not really) where the money comes from that does pay for all that UK care.
The beauty of their system is that the money doesn't have to come from anywhere. Everything is free because it costs nothing! Docs, clinics, hosptitals, drugs...... all exist at zero cost due to superior management of the system by gov't.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
The beauty of their system is that the money doesn't have to come from anywhere. Everything is free because it costs nothing! Docs, clinics, hosptitals, drugs...... all exist at zero cost due to superior management of the system by gov't.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

The UK system has many issues and is only free at the point of service. ie there's no billing to the patient form the hospital or doctor. The NHS costs a lot, but half as much per capital as US healthcare, and people fund it through taxation. Americans should be addressing the outrageous costs and complexity of their system as they are far greater than in any other country. There are many more efficient health systems around the world so the US has examples that could save money and reduce complexity. It's the US consumer of health care that looses out in the current system.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The UK system has many issues and is only free at the point of service. ie there's no billing to the patient form the hospital or doctor. The NHS costs a lot

Gee..... From the tone of many comments here, I was led to believe that the UK system (and several other national health systems) were free. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #37

Quote:
The UK system has many issues and is only free at the point of service. ie there's no billing to the patient form the hospital or doctor. The NHS costs a lot, but half as much per capital as US healthcare, and people fund it through taxation. Americans should be addressing the outrageous costs and complexity of their system as they are far greater than in any other country. There are many more efficient health systems around the world so the US has examples that could save money and reduce complexity. It's the US consumer of health care that looses out in the current system.
True, but in the US the practitioner also loses. What most demotivates doctors is the administrative burden imposed by the different payers Medicare, Medicaid and private insurers. The shame of the US system is there are so many put off by it.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Gee..... From the tone of many comments here, I was led to believe that the UK system (and several other national health systems) were free. Thanks for clearing that up.
Well, at half the cost of the US health care with better coverage, "almost free" "almost" describes it.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Same thing in Canada, the per capita cost of health care is about 1/2 of the US and healthcare is better, and doctors there are not businessmen or drug salesmen.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

OK so next year “Health Insurance Exchanges” will go into effect. I keep googling but I can’t get any details. Will I be able to buy a plan that covers ALL my healthcare without additional expenses?