Join Early Retirement Today
Average Spending on EBAY
Old 07-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Average Spending on EBAY

Lately, I spent several thousands dollars on Ebay. Most are "good buys" , some are wasteful. It's kindly of nice and convenience to have the stuffs delivered to the door, at the same time, it's kindly of dangerous because purchase can be made out of boredom.

What's your average spending on ebay? Do you sell nothing or buy a lot? Any recommendation for useful and necessary items that I can purchase on ebay is appreciated. Please share your "expertise" about ebay. Last, do you feel ebay help or hurt you financially. Thanks all.

Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I have never bought anything on Ebay, so my average is $0.

I do buy things online. I have purchased from Costco, B&H Video, Adorama, Sears and other retailers. My spouse seems to get stuff from LandsEnd and Amazon.

LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I buy basically nothing except food and gas so I have nothing to sell therefore i've never used Ebay.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
I've bought a few things on Ebay -- mostly old stuff with some tie to family history, like my Mother's high school yearbook and items related to a dairy my Grandfather had. And a desktop cigarette lighter like the one Sam Spade had in The Maltese Falcon. I'd guess my average purchase is probably around $10 and I may have spent $200 or $300 total. I've never sold on Ebay.

Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
Mercedes, goldwing, real estate... also for business i sometimes buy software packages but a few end up in dispute being fake, not for resale or academic versions.
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
I used to spend a lot of time on eBay. I bought clothes and costume jewelry. Finally came to the conclusion that I need to try things on before buying them.

I have also bought a couple of digital cameras and a camera, a voice recorder, some books, a huge area rug, a fireplace mantel, etc. I find it handy for buying refurbished electronics and used books.

The danger is I often bid when browsing in the middle of the night, when my LBYM alarm is turned off. Sometimes I bid on things on a whim, things that I would not have even thought of buying during the day. Overall though, I found eBay to be a good resource.

The average purchase is probably $30. Since I've over 100 feedbacks on eBay, I am guessing I've spent over $4,000 there over the last 8 years.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
I have never bought (or sold) on ebay. I do buy online but usually from amazon, pet supply stores, llbean, etc. I have sold books on amazon and often use craigslist and a local online bulletin board that is free to post sale items.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
My scariest purchase was a beautiful ladies Rolex from Singapore. Diamond dial and diamond bezel. Bid and got it for $2800 and paid through PayPal. Three weeks later we still hadn't heard anything about delivery. I was starting to get worried and one day I found a small box sitting on our front porch. Can you believe it was delivered by FedEx and didn't have to sign for it or any kind of proof of delivery. Just put it on the front porch. Took it to a jeweler friend and he valued it at $8500. I think we lucked out.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
My late husband used to spend (over spend) on Ebay, buying world fair memorabilia. He also used to sell a few things in order to partially offset what he purchased. He enjoyed collecting and buying things...his hobby, I guess. In my opinion though...not such a good "investment". I spent soooo many hours getting all of that stuff ready for an auction after his death. The funny thing is in going through all that stuff, there was some stuff that he hadn't even opened after getting it in the mail.

My husband and I used to go to auctions and I know part of the "fun" was the bidding. A person just gets caught up in the bidding...competition. I think Ebay is like that too. Do you REALLY need the stuff you bid on or is it just the lure of the hunt.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
I have never bought (or sold) anything on E-Bay.

I doubt I ever will, but it is always possible.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
I have bought and sold items on EBay over the past several years and it's been a generally decent experience. Not sure what the average price would be, but probably not more than $50. I've been pretty inactive on it lately as I've realized that I've rarely actually bought anything I needed - just things I'd like to have. The exceptions have been some cosmetic products for my wife that are very expensive locally.

It can be fun, but it sure takes a lot of time and due diligence. Lots more scammers out there now as well as professional stores - not just people doing one on one buying and selling.

I prefer Craigslist for local stuff.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 AM   #12
Spend about $30 a year on ebay.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...
I buy and sell on ebay . I do a lot more selling than buying . It is a great way to rid the house of excess everything . I sold a lot of my old china , old jewelry , dresses that I wore once for weddings or parties , and my SO's comic book collection . I currently sell new women's clothes and it supplies me with mad money . I have bought mostly Vera Bradley purses , little Souls dolls and an occasional JJill item . I've never spent more than $100 on an item . I do most of my shopping on line at Amazon , Lands End and JJill .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...
I've been very happy with my EBay purchases. That is, they've saved me money, and I haven't bought anything I didn't need. In the last year I purchased:

Parts for Yakima rack
Road atlas (for recent driving trip around country)
Quicken 2009
Bicycle part (high-rise stem)
Bicycle computer (i.e. speedometer)
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Never have used EBAY. I won't rule out ever using it.
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...
A good rule is never go on ebay while drinking wine . You may end up with a few strange purchases .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
When I first discovered ebay, it was fun and I bought many
useful treasured things... also many things I didn't need.

But the fun wears off after awhile. Now I hardly ever go there.

Garage sales more fun... you never know what you will find,
prices are cheap, you can haggle over price, no one outbids
you and no extra shipping and handling charges.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
you can haggle over price...
What gets me is when I price a $100 item for $20 and someone tries to haggle me down two minutes after the garage sale opened.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...
I have never bought or sold on Ebay, but I would like to see if I might find some nice niche to sell there.

During the past 5 years I have spent about $275/yr on Amazon. Some is groceries.

I have also sold a number of books on Amazon, but smaller $$ than what I have bought.

I have bought shoes online from, an excellent retailer. The rest of my clothes I buy locally. I almost never buy a book locally except occasionally from a used book store. Usually I get books from the library, but if I can't find a book I often buy used and occasionally new on Amazon.

Going into Money to find the data for this post I noticed where my money goes. Taxes, rent, medical including insurance, groceries, auto other than depreciation in that order, or alternately reversing rent and taxes. Earlier in my life it was taxes, fun, and then all the rest. Bad trend going on here.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
I have done quite a bit of selling on eBay, almost since the day it started (well over 10 years ago). When I first started, it was an incredible way to de-clutter the house and make more money than I expected. There used to be fewer sellers and the bidding would get pretty heated, even over ordinary stuff that I never thought would sell. Now, with so many more sellers, and buyers becoming more savvy (IMO), I find the selling to be less profitable/enjoyable. I still occasionally sell something I just want to get rid of.

The biggest benefits for me were clearing the house out, and seeing first hand the affect of depreciation on assorted stuff. I was never much of a collector, but this experience really makes me re-think anything I might want to buy now.

I do still occasionally shop on eBay for something I need - when I compare prices for something, I look at eBay as just another option. Most of the time my purchases are in the $10-20 range, including shipping. You have to make sure you look at the shipping cost before bidding - I think many sellers are trying to recoup their eBay and PayPal fees by padding the shipping cost.

ksr is offline   Reply With Quote