Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have no idea what this means :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

JG?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #62
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

JG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I have no idea what this means :-)
FWIW, neither do I
Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

A former member.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
A former member.
Thanks.

PS
I don't need to know all the gossip
Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thanks.

PS
I don't need to know all the gossip
I don't know all the gossip to tell you! I wasn't a member then, just lurking.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sometimes being an outlier is a good thing.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Sometimes being an outlier is a good thing.
Especially if you've got a pension or two.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Especially if you've got a pension or two.
Most of my close friends are retired military. Most of DW's close friends are active or retired teachers. Two pensions just seems like the norm to us.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Most of my close friends are retired military. Most of DW's close friends are active or retired teachers. Two pensions just seems like the norm to us.
That makes me an outlier.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
I understand. But say you can FIRE with a comfortable income and zero probabality of failure. And if you work one more year you can add another $10k p.a , 2 years $20k+ , another 3 years $30k+

When do you say enough is enough, coz the extra $10k buys a great holiday $20k even better. $30 - first class all the way baby.

See what I mean
Not really. Firecalc or some other calculator saying 0% chance of failure does not bind the world to follow that script. The map is not the territory.

Besides, since when is it greed to work? Since when is it greed to prefer shopping at Whole Foods to Aldi's or Costco? Since when is it greed to prefer nice clothes? I am just a simple man, but I can sure see and value the difference bertweena $500 dress and an $80 dress.

This is some kindof Puritanism that overstretches the meaning of the word greed.

Ha
Old 02-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

As I remember JG was mostly invested in GMAC bonds. I don't remember how that went down. Did those bonds take a haircut in the masterfull Obama save of the autoworkers' union?

I had some close calls back then too, but I have never considered myself any more committed to staying with a given investment when trouble appears than I would be committed to staying in a bar when people start breaking bottles and throwing chairs. So long, it's been grand! Really, it has, I mean that you guys...

Ha
Old 02-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
Well there are some posters (like you, W2R, ziggy, FIREd, Braumeister, Rambler, Midpack,Alan, pb4uski, frayne, Nords, Sarah in SC, and a few others) with whom I would feel comfortable asking specific questions, sharing my income data, spreadsheets, working assumptions, the international taxation issues US/EU that I face etc.. This is a website I feel happy and privileged to be part of. However, I am a bit less comfortable sharing more real life, concrete data on this open forum. Especially after sharing some key data over the last few weeks and being told that my profile is quite an outlier... :-)
Your discomfort is normal, and it's not realy about the numbers. Examples based on percentages are easy enough, or numbers rebased to 100. The Swedroe book is more about the concepts, such as including equities in a portfolio.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
A former member.
Who shall remain nameless.....lol

I wasn't a forum member back then either, but I've gone back & read many of the old posts that pertained to this person, and looked him up on the net, etc. Some really funny stuff!
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am very comfortable around here. By the way, I have actually shared quite a lot about myself already over the last few weeks, including my NW, annual expenditures, planned annual withdrawals, etc.

Now what about YOUR numbers, ERD50 - when are you going to get comfortable enough about sharing your numbers? :-) I am not being judgmental in any way :-)
When will I share my 'numbers'? I've never been shy about discussing strategies, concepts, AA, percentages, etc. I've posted all those ideas and numbers (far too?) many times. Though I don't think there is much to be gained by discussing absolute numbers, and it may even be a distraction, ill-advised, or considered rude by some (but not me, I don't care). If I saw actual numbers from you, I guess I forgot about them as that is not my interest, but I do recall some of the %'s you have posted.

But I'd be glad to summarize them here since you asked (and update my sig per Midpack's suggestion):

AA ~ 75/25 EQ/Fixed and 3-4 months in checking/savings for cash flow. The 75% is SPY, an allocation (50-50) of HiYield Bond funds, some International. I really don't obsess about these numbers, as FIRECALC shows similar historical success rates with AA ranging from ~ 40/60 to 95/5. Why split hairs? I actually calculated it the other day, I'm at 80/20. Might re-balance, might not. Yawn.

WR - shooting to keep it in low 3% range overall. It's not one number, it will vary over time. Presently I am not drawing a pension or SS, but DW went back to work part-time after the kids were grown, and is now working full time, part year. It's not a high paying job, but it does certainly cut the current WR. When she retires (I assume prior to age 65), we will have a period with no other income, pension, or SS, so the WR rate will tend to be higher for a time. Based on my view at that time, I will decide when to take pensions and SS. DW is also earning a small pension from her job, and has some SS.

Getting to ER - Retired end of 2003, currently age 58. Got a nice severance, almost two years. I have retiree health ins, but it's not cheap, about $1K/month. Since my pension is not COLA'd it won't mean much to me/DW. Adjusting for inflation (since the full value is only available at age 65) and for any survivor benefit options, it might cover ~ 1/4 of my annual expenses initially, and inflation will drop that going forward. SS in that ballpark, but that's inflation adjusted.

Worked up my NW by always maxing out my 401K, LBYM and saving/investing, and sweat equity in the houses I've owned. Made a significant amount buying bushels of AAPL right near the bottom in 1997 and trading/selling until it got to ~ $100. Oh to have held that to $500 plus! But that's not a regret, I did well, and it was time to take my profits and run. I do somewhat regret that I was not more aggressive in my 401K - I stayed in a balanced fund (50/50) and would have done far better in that 90's bull market with a higher AA, but that's OK. Have researched investments and have had a good understanding of the advantage of low cost index funds for a long time. Had a decent 28 year career as a tech/eng/engineering manager - did well, worked hard in a competitive business, but never hit what most people would call the 'big bucks'.

Oh, one of my primary ER motivators - early in my management career, I guess I was about 30, I was sent to represent our dept at a job fair, collect resumes and do a quick screening. All afternoon, there was a steady stream of 50-something guys that had been laid off from a large company - these guys had figured they had a job for life. Their skills were not what we needed, and the look on their faces as I handed their resumes back to them really made an impression on me. It was clear these guys needed that next paycheck. Almost like that scene from "Gone with the Wind", I swore I would never be 50 YO and totally dependent on my employer. And I wasn't.

My back-up plan was to take Keith Emerson's place in ELP, but I never practiced enough (or had enough talent). All other back-up plans are labelled 'look-learn-adapt'.

Still awake?

Anything else you would find helpful? Hair color, shoe size, favorite ice cream flavor, Ginger or Mary Ann?

Hmmm, I guess that won't fit in my sig, I'll have to work on some edits.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

ERD I admit to dozing off, but I did wake up in time to wonder? Ginger or Maryann?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
ERD I admit to dozing off, but I did wake up in time to wonder? Ginger or Maryann?
I knew I'd need a "BAM!" in there! And there is only one correct answer:
BOTH!

- ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #77

I was talking about absolute numbers, not relative ones. Being a non financial person, I find it reassuring sometimes to know other forum participants' absolute numbers because they help me in my decision to make the jump. No worries if you don't want to..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

When will I share my 'numbers'? I've never been shy about discussing strategies, concepts, AA, percentages, etc. I've posted all those ideas and numbers (far too?) many times. Though I don't think there is much to be gained by discussing absolute numbers, and it may even be a distraction, ill-advised, or considered rude by some (but not me, I don't care). If I saw actual numbers from you, I guess I forgot about them as that is not my interest, but I do recall some of the %'s you have posted.

-ERD50
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Ginger or Maryann? I"ll take Mrs. Howell{Lovie} any day.Thats were the bacon $$$ is.
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Oh, one of my primary ER motivators - early in my management career, I guess I was about 30, I was sent to represent our dept at a job fair, collect resumes and do a quick screening. All afternoon, there was a steady stream of 50-something guys that had been laid off from a large company - these guys had figured they had a job for life. Their skills were not what we needed, and the look on their faces as I handed their resumes back to them really made an impression on me. It was clear these guys needed that next paycheck. Almost like that scene from "Gone with the Wind", I swore I would never be 50 YO and totally dependent on my employer. And I wasn't.

-ERD50
That is really interesting. I never faced that, I guess I was vaguely aware that engineers over 50 were considered dinosaurs because one of my first bosses was one. But in my many interviews I conducted, I think I only talked to one guy over 50 and that was just a formality since he was going to be hired anyway. I guess HR did a "better" job of screening than I realized.

However, watching the devastating impact the great recession has had on my 50+ year old friends, many who've lost their jobs, I realized how lucky I've been. You were wise to have figured that out at a young age.

And yes the correct answer is both Ginger and Mary Ann.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
actually i will go with mrs howell. i always wondered how she got that name.

i always wondered how the professor could build a nuclear reactor out of coconuts but he could not build a boat to get off the island.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote