Awkward Wealth

I was going to post the title of a Barbara Mandrell tune, then decided she is not country.

Loretta IS country.

I think her steel player was Hal Rugg, but can't find a good clip of him :(

Just think about all those "Three Buck Chuck" wine drinkers :LOL:

....wait a minute, you can get Three Buck Chuck at the same place you can get the awkward wealth caviar :confused:

I went to a party one time given by a very nice professor. I asked him if I should bring anything. He said, "sure, bring some wine".

So I went to the shop, there were three guys behind the counter. I said, "What's the worst wine you have?". They all said, "NIGHT TRAIN!". So I got some.

That's some god-awkward wine.

Just think about all those "Three Buck Chuck" wine drinkers :LOL:

....wait a minute, you can get Three Buck Chuck at the same place you can get the awkward wealth caviar :confused:

I actually did buy a case of three buck chuck at the same time I was searching for the caviar. :D That's how us wealthy people do it.

I had to look up "Night Train" to see what it is. Shows how little I get out.

It is a "fortified" wine. Hmmm... Sherry is a fortified wine. Same with port. So, that by itself should not make it bad. No?

PS. And about two-buck chuck ($3 in my state), that wine in blind tests beats some snobby wines. That tells you something.

Ya pick a bunch of Concord grapes, squish em a little. ferment 7 days in a beer crock, and then squeeze the juice out thru an old T shirt.

Purple Passion. :greetings10:

heh heh heh - but then some might consider that a tad beyond fugal. Later when I got 'rich' I graduated to Gallo. :cool: ;)

I dunno. I am not sure but it may take more than a few bucks to buy enough grapes to make a bottle of wine. It is easier to buy the TJ wine which, as they claim, even won some awards. You think any wine I make at home is going to win anything? And then, there's the cost of the T shirt.

Oh, you said used T shirt. I am going to be sure I wash it first, and just not pick one out of the hamper. And I'd better not use a dryer sheet when I dry that T shirt, else people are going to think I lace my wine with Bounce or Downy. That would be awkward.

Last edited:
So I went to the shop, there were three guys behind the counter. I said, "What's the worst wine you have?". They all said, "NIGHT TRAIN!". So I got some.

That's some god-awkward wine.

Seems it's still being made. And, I just found a bottle behind our bar. I imagine our Night Train is a few decades old.

I have learned so much from this forum, using the hints here. I just searched the Web for more info on this Night Train, found a site comparing Night Train, Thunderbird, and Cisco. I only heard of Thunderbird before this thread, now I learned of two more.

Here are the connoisseurs' notes on these awe-inspiring fortified wines.

"The Night Train runs only one route: sober to stupid with no round trip tickets available, and a strong likelihood of a train wreck along the way."

"Often, people on a Cisco binge end up curled into a fetal ball, shuddering and muttering paranoid rants... The FTC forced them to drop their marketing slogan, "Takes You by Surprise," even though it was entirely accurate"

"If you like to smell your hand after pumping gas, look no further than Thunderbird. As you drink on, the bird soars higher while you sink lower... WARNING: This light yellow liquid turns your lips and mouth black! A mysterious chemical reaction makes you look like you've been chewing on hearty clumps of charcoal."

My oh my! How to choose? You don't. A well-stocked bar must have all three.

Last edited:
When I moved from CT to CA years ago (1982), a close friend in CT gave me a bottle of NT as a joke. We passed it back and forth thru the mail for several years as a joke Xmas gift. He came to CA on business many years later and we got together and opened it.

It was as good as the day it was bottled!:D ...I still remember the "nose" and "bouquet" of that black labelled bottle of Night Train.....;)

When I moved from CT to CA years ago (1982), a close friend in CT gave me a bottle of NT as a joke. We passed it back and forth thru the mail for several years as a joke Xmas gift. He came to CA on business many years later and we got together and opened it.

It was as good as the day it was bottled!:D ...I still remember the "nose" and "bouquet" of that black labelled bottle of Night Train.....;)

You can start a new tradition with Ronco lighter fluid!

We used to have Thunderbird, but some friends actually drank it (this was several decades ago). The Night Train we have is black-labeled. Nobody wants to drink it--but it does get passed around--and stays unopened.

I have learned so much from this forum, using the hints here. I just searched the Web for more info on this Night Train, found a site comparing Night Train, Thunderbird, and Cisco. I only heard of Thunderbird before this thread, now I learned of two more.

Here are the connoisseurs' notes on these awe-inspiring fortified wines.

"The Night Train runs only one route: sober to stupid with no round trip tickets available, and a strong likelihood of a train wreck along the way."

"Often, people on a Cisco binge end up curled into a fetal ball, shuddering and muttering paranoid rants... The FTC forced them to drop their marketing slogan, "Takes You by Surprise," even though it was entirely accurate"

"If you like to smell your hand after pumping gas, look no further than Thunderbird. As you drink on, the bird soars higher while you sink lower... WARNING: This light yellow liquid turns your lips and mouth black! A mysterious chemical reaction makes you look like you've been chewing on hearty clumps of charcoal."

My oh my! How to choose? You don't. A well-stocked bar must have all three.

That was Walt Whitman-esque! "If you like to smell your hand...". Please post the link to whereever you found these pearls. The world could use another Onion.

I need to snag some Night Train to serve the relatives during the holidays. We're always looking for a new wine to serve and since I don't drink wine, Night Train seems like an entertaining choice.

Everybody should get some Train in case they want to kill someone.

The prof is Romanian, his wife was from NY. They didn't deserve that.

On the subject of cheap wine, I'll never forget one Thanksgiving at my Mom and stepdad's back in the late 90's, they had Boone's Farm. I don't know if you'd call that stuff "wine", or "wine cooler", or what, but I just had to laugh, because it was the same $2.69 stuff that the under-age kids that worked with me at Papa John's were always begging me to buy for them.

FWIW, I never did, but it never stopped them from begging. And it didn't keep them off the stuff, as they'd simply find someone else to buy it for them. Ahh, those innocent days of our youth...

:LOL::LOL:This thread is proof that while growing older is mandatory and strictly enforced, growing up is optional.:LOL::LOL:

I don't know if you'd call that stuff "wine", or "wine cooler", or what

I still remember an old quote from an interview with a Canadian winery rep......he said, regarding one 'product', that "This is a wine for people who don't drink wine".

Ya pick a bunch of Concord grapes, squish em a little. ferment 7 days in a beer crock, and then squeeze the juice out thru an old T shirt.

Purple Passion. :greetings10:

heh heh heh - but then some might consider that a tad beyond fugal. Later when I got 'rich' I graduated to Gallo. :cool: ;)

Gallo. I recycled an over-great quantity of that onto a large white shag rug after a college spaghetti feed. Alcohol laced purple food coloring. Not a proud time. Did not get laid.

Where's the mint julep recipe!

I remember a guy I knew at college who would come up with inventive ways to contribute to my expenses when he'd catch a ride home with me (about 3.5 hours away). One time he produced a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20, the kiwi flavored one, to give me as thanks. Definitely not a good unit of trade!

Back
Top Bottom