Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh well, since RW won't share that wonderful future looking program... I guess I'll just have to stick to old fashioned AA. With my upper bumper at 60% equities, I see after Friday I'm now pushing 56%. What a roller coaster! a little while ago I was wondering if I would have the fortitude to actually buy equities as my portfolio got closer to my lower equities limit of 50%. Now I'm wondering about the other side of that coin. Jeez, I'm getting too old for all this excitement...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Jeez, I'm getting too old for all this excitement...
This is what I learned. Oh, wrong thread...

This is my very own roller coaster ride. Data is quarterly, except for the last data point, included to show present value. The chart doesn't show the absolute high, but got close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg change.jpg (85.7 KB, 25 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very Nice recovery HFWR!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Now, that's a more interesting graph, although you "only" doubled it from 2003 to 2007. Figure out how to replicate that going forward, and you will retire rich! Maybe do nothing and it will come?

I did well in that period, but they say not to push one's luck. On the other hand, I feel the need to tweak my portfolio. Can't resist it, but it's not hormones like Uncle Mick always says... When drifting down a rapid in a raft, do you paddle or just let it drift?

OK, OK, Uncle Mick's porfolio is not drifting guidelessly either; he relies on an autopilot. But then you are trusting the people who design the autopilot, and I do not know them. I have heard stories about airliner crashes where the pilots should have disconnected the autopilots and flew manually.

I guess time will tell if my slicing and dicing will do any good.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Now, that's a more interesting graph...
If "interesting" = volatility, this is one contest where I'm happy to have my chart labeled "boring".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

From Oct 07 to now, my accounts are -$250,000. During that time I have received about $10,000 in SS income, and spent $87,000 on taxes and expenses of all kinds. So, my investment result is $250,000 less ($87,000-$10,000)=- $173,000. I should soon get a tax refund which will help but not materially.

If I felt confident that we have seen a durable bottom I would feel not good, but OK.

Unfortunately, I am not at all confident about this market "bottom".

Ha
Old 05-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If "interesting" = volatility, this is one contest where I'm happy to have my chart labeled "boring".
Pick your slope...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg change slopes.jpg (71.4 KB, 1 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Now, HWFR's plot looks like that of a "chartist".

I could never figure out those technical charts. Looks like you could draw lines between any two points of your choice to draw any conclusion you wish. Most often, to cover all bases, they would draw multiple conclusions to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If I felt confident that we have seen a durable bottom I would feel not good, but OK.

Unfortunately, I am not at all confident about this market "bottom".
Ha
I don't feel good about the gummint pumping money into the system to rescue it either. However, I've got to go along for the ride, and enjoy it while it lasts. My guess is that the market will not drop lower but may languish for a long time, unless some wonderful things that we have not foreseen happen.

Can never say never; as recent as the early 80s, watching "The Day After", who would have thought the Berlin wall would crumble a few years later. But I am still going to hedge by looking overseas, trying to invest in countries and companies trading with the Chinese. The Chinese rise to a powerful economic country is not a matter of if but when, in my opinion. And it will occur in the next 10 years, before I am even eligible for early SS.