Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I just saw this. I'm a rehired annuitant, under special rules approved by Congress. Absent this special arrangement, few of us retirees would agree to return, because our pensions would be docked.

The "contracting agency" is me

OPM provides my "benefits" (basically, by paying my pension and contributing to my health insurance).

My hourly pay, before taxes, is about 50% of my old salary divided by 1000. (After taxes, it is so much less that I am starting to wonder if it is worth it).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred123 View Post
If I'm reading this right, you're an employee of a contracting agency who is contracting with your former employer. Is that correct? if it works the way this usually does, the contracting agency is being paid much more than your hourly rate -- usually around 2x -- and pocketing the difference. You should try and go direct, if possible. Also, since you have no sick leave, vacation, or benefits you are being paid considerably less (probably around 25-30%) than your former salary. If you can, find out what your former agency is paying the contracting agency.

One rule of thumb for short term contracting is that you should be paid the same/hr as your salary divided by 1000.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I was just asked today if I wanted to return to the university. It's an easy "No thank you." I left because of new management, and in less then a year they have run a great department into the ground. The biggest benefit of FI for me was the freedom to leave a deteriorating situation early.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finished week 2, took about that long to get access to multiple systems, cell phone and equipment. The supervisor went on vacation the day I arrived LOL.

Not much changed, seeing mostly the same people doing the same sloppy work.

I promised the supervisor I would stay at least until the current backlog is gone.

The manager says she may get a permanent body to occupy this desk in December. ( They have gone thru 3 temporary re-treads like me in this particular section so far).

She said December. I forgot to ask, " December of what year"
Old 03-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #24

6 mo. update: Going well , still working about 100 hrs. per mo., and being treated very well.

About 6 of us re-treads currently on staff , half were much higher then I was on the food chain before retirement. No word on renewal of employment next fiscal year .

Never would have left if I was treated like things are currently.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
6 mo. update: Going well , still working about 100 hrs. per mo., and being treated very well.

About 6 of us re-treads currently on staff , half were much higher then I was on the food chain before retirement. No word on renewal of employment next fiscal year .

Never would have left if I was treated like things are currently.
Just about the time you made this decision, I was working from home, and being paid very well. That came to an end late summer, and out of the blue I got a really good offer for FT. Yes, a job.

It has worked well. As you found, the new circumstance can chase away much of the angst. This could end in September. Or it could go on for another year. I'm pretty happy with the cash flow, so just taking it as it comes.

If you are a decent worker, and lower on the food chain, it just may continue as long as you wish.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:13 PM   #26

The end is near. 14 more work days and I'm fired.

Time to get out the bucket list. *

New budget starts July 1. Line item is funding for us 6 re-treads, but the manager said it will be a couple of mo. if the dept decides to bring any of us back.

On the bright side,19 new full time have been hired, with money to hire 20 more. None are slated to occupy the desk I'm at . The section supervisor is not at all happy about losing a body.

* next on the list is a trip to the Delta Airlines Museum in Atlanta, and book an hour in the full motion 737 simulator . $425 , with instructor , and no penalty for crashing
Old 06-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I went P/T for six months. I realized that I didn't want any part of work anymore no matter how advantageous it was to me. Shortly after my company went through the worst service level period in the history of the company. I would have been on the front lines. It just solidified never going back to deal with the same issues. Hey, they were good to me but time to let the younger pups run their blood pressure up.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #28

The end is near, again , for this gig. Hours are limited to 960 for the fiscal year, and I am 28 work hours from that.

Might go back for a 3rd round when the new fiscal year starts.

Actually considering a full time position with another employer if I can find something with a 15 minute or less commute.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #29

Interesting how additional people were hired, but you were brought back.

There are plenty of gigs available.