Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should the government bail out U.S. automakers?
Yes 18 10.00%
No 100 55.56%
Limited bailout 15 8.33%
Need to see the details before deciding 47 26.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I look at this way: If Honda, Toyota, and Nissan needed a bailout, would there be any discussion at all in Congress? The answer is a flat "NO", they would be chastised for making poor business decisions and allowed to fail. Why impose a different standard on the Big 3, 3 companies that have been operating with inept management for over 30 years??
It is precisely this double standard that has caused them to be in such poor state. Lee Iacoca would have been told to pound sand if he was looking for a handout for Toyota and not Chrysler.

Part of me thinks Big 3 management hasn't been inept. They have been operating rationally in their mind, factoring in their big advantage of U.S. govt assitance if needed all this time.
__________________

__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Part of me thinks Big 3 management hasn't been inept. They have been operating rationally in their mind, factoring in their big advantage of U.S. govt assitance if needed all this time.
Inept is a strong word. How about greedy SOB's?? There, now I feel better........

I remember a clip on MSNBC a few years ago. They interviewed a UAW worker that has all hot and bothered about upcoming UAW contract talks. The thing he was most upset about was NOT being able to put BOTH kids through private college on his earnings.

I know the maintenance supervisor at the Janesville plant. With overtime and holiday pay, he was making an average of $200,000 a year, plus benefits........
__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I look at this way: If Honda, Toyota, and Nissan needed a bailout, would there be any discussion at all in Congress? The answer is a flat "NO", they would be chastised for making poor business decisions and allowed to fail. Why impose a different standard on the Big 3, 3 companies that have been operating with inept management for over 30 years??
Gee...... could the Big Three be getting preferential treatment because they are predominantly union and located in Blue States? Honda, Toyota and Nissan tend to be non-union and in Red States. Hmmmmmmm......let's see....... thinking......thinking....... Yep, it looks like the Big Three and UAW would deliver the Dem votes.

I think the $25B now under discussion was promised by Barack pre-election. The real question is how many additional 100's of billions will be forthcoming over the next couple of years. And how will labor laws be changed to ensure the UAW being able to quickly and easily organize the Honda, Toyota and Nissan plants to create a level playing field for the Big Three? We'll all pay the ongoing cost when we buy our $35k Civic.
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I think the $25B now under discussion was promised by Barack pre-election. The real question is how many additional 100's of billions will be forthcoming over the next couple of years. And how will labor laws be changed to ensure the UAW being able to quickly and easily organize the Honda, Toyota and Nissan plants to create a level playing field for the Big Three?
Honda, Toyota, and Nissan seem to be doing just fine. I wonder why? Oh, I got it. They make vehicles that don't break down every 3-4 months.......what a business model!!
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Honda, Toyota, and Nissan seem to be doing just fine. I wonder why? Oh, I got it. They make vehicles that don't break down every 3-4 months.......what a business model!!
I think the quality at U.S. autos has gone up, the new Malibu is actually a good looking car, and mechanical/quality issues seem to be largely worked out. But it takes time for perceptions to change and trust to be rebuilt. I believe there is a legitimate case to be made that if if the big 3 were to make it through the next 18 months they could return to profitability. But my fear is with $2 gas again, it will be with big shiny SUVs again. Republican Senators already want the $25 billion allocated for green technology used to just keep the fires lit at the Big 3 to keep the status quo.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
I think the quality at U.S. autos has gone up, the new Malibu is actually a good looking car, and mechanical/quality issues seem to be largely worked out. But it takes time for perceptions to change and trust to be rebuilt. I believe there is a legitimate case to be made that if if the big 3 were to make it through the next 18 months they could return to profitability. But my fear is with $2 gas again, it will be with big shiny SUVs again. Republican Senators already want the $25 billion allocated for green technology used to just keep the fires lit at the Big 3 to keep the status quo.
Cobalt or Civic?
Malibu or Accord?
Lucerne or Avalon?
Cadillac or Lexus?
Silverado or Tacoma?

Tell me which one is considered more reliable, and you have your answer..........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,373
and again, as posted on other bailout thread:

Aid prospects darken for desperate US carmakers - Yahoo! News
__________________
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I think the Detroit 3 get a bit of a bum rap. Quality has improved in the last several years.
Too little, too late. How is a customer supposed to judge if the new Detroit cars are really any good? They've been telling us they are "just as good" as Japanese cars for over 20 years, and it has been a consistent lie. The truth is, you don't knw if the components (power steering pumps, wiper motors, transmission parts, seals, brake calipers, etc) are well made until they've had 5-10 years of use. To build goodwill and a reputation for reliability with 2008 consumers, GM would have had to pull even with Toyota in the qualty of build and the quality of subcomponents in 1998. Compare the reliabilty of the 1998 Pontiacs on the road today with the 1998 Toyotas on the road today. Case closed

Sorry, Big Three. You did it to yourself by "doing it" to us for all those years. Go bankrupt, and start with new management and a clean sheet of paper.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets
barbarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 433
And explain to me again how this "yet another bailout" is not socialism. I particularly want to hear from you rock-ribbed republicans.
__________________
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets
Steve O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 291
I've never owned a foriegn car and I never will
__________________
Steve O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #111
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,422
Socialism is gov't ownership of industry. This is just stoopid capitalism. And I'm a Libertarian, the party called "too mean to be republicans".
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #112
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
I've never owned a foriegn car and I never will
Luckily, you can buy a well made American-built Honda any time you want. You'll be keeping your pledge and not leaving oil stains and transmission fluid all over the place.
Or, I guess you could buy a Japanese-built Ford.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets
barbarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Socialism is gov't ownership of industry. This is just stoopid capitalism. And I'm a Libertarian, the party called "too mean to be republicans".
So am I. I just use "Ole Karl" as an avatar in memory of George W. Bush and the Neocoms. I mean Neocons.
__________________
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.
Delawaredave5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees Rule View Post
I keep hearing how much better American cars are these days. I stopped buying American cars in the 1980s, early.
American cars are very good quality and a great value. Japanese have highest quality - but you pay more for that quality.

European cars are no more reliable than American cars, cost more up front, and have high repair costs.

My BIL keeps buying Volvos - for the status - every one had problems - last one dealer could not solve a problem and they had to replace the car.

I drive Ford Taurus for work - 50,000 miles/year - have driven 5 Taurus cars over 80,000 miles each - only regular maintenance - never a problem - I have been very impressed.

The US auto makers are bankrupt because of union, healthcare, and retirement costs.
__________________
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:49 AM   #115
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central, Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,598
After yesterday and the "lack of support" it seems the decision has been "pushed under the rug" or "down the street" for, at least, the next 74 days. But of course HR (our "leader of the Senate") will keep trying! Wonder how much money was wasted for this "lame duck" session? With all the secure networks in this country, why do we have to pay for these clowns folks to travel back and forth?
__________________
Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:54 AM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
American cars are very good quality and a great value. Japanese have highest quality - but you pay more for that quality.

European cars are no more reliable than American cars, cost more up front, and have high repair costs.

My BIL keeps buying Volvos - for the status - every one had problems - last one dealer could not solve a problem and they had to replace the car.

I drive Ford Taurus for work - 50,000 miles/year - have driven 5 Taurus cars over 80,000 miles each - only regular maintenance - never a problem - I have been very impressed.

The US auto makers are bankrupt because of union, healthcare, and retirement costs.

Volvo now? Nope never, since Ford bought the major interest. When they were simple and built in Sweden they were great . I put 300,000 miles on a 240 1990 model with no problems. I bought a a toyota sedan in 04 and paid only 18,000 and now have about 80 on it and not a rattle not a single issue. Tried to help a friend replace a hose on a taurus last month. Wow, what an issue. They use a solid piece at the connection. Can not replace on the driveway, needed to be taken to the dealer. Look at your hoses, are they the same? It was a heater hose.
__________________
Yankees Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 AM   #117
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,038
I have been reading this thread and hearing the Japanese good American bad car argument and just had to chime in again.
I happen to own a 2000 Honda Accord and did own a 2002 Ford F150.

Honda has 112,000 miles. Repairs:

Replaced rack and pinion unit.
Recharged Air Conditioning
Replaced transmission.
Seat belt warning stays on all the time. Dealer could not fix. Known problem with model.
Air conditioning is out again now. Have not fixed it yet.

The Honda is getting about 22 MPG for some reason now. Used to get closer to 30 MPG.

Ford F150 had 111,000 when sold a few months ago. Repairs:

O2 sensor replaced under warranty.


Thatís it. Doesnít look like the Japanese cars win in my experience. I would still have the Ford except that I traded it in on another new F150 when they were practically giving them away when the gas was high.
__________________
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #118
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I have been reading this thread and hearing the Japanese good American bad car argument and just had to chime in again.
I happen to own a 2000 Honda Accord and did own a 2002 Ford F150.

Honda has 112,000 miles. Repairs:

Replaced rack and pinion unit.
Recharged Air Conditioning
Replaced transmission.
Seat belt warning stays on all the time. Dealer could not fix. Known problem with model.
Air conditioning is out again now. Have not fixed it yet.

The Honda is getting about 22 MPG for some reason now. Used to get closer to 30 MPG.

Ford F150 had 111,000 when sold a few months ago. Repairs:

O2 sensor replaced under warranty.


Thatís it. Doesnít look like the Japanese cars win in my experience. I would still have the Ford except that I traded it in on another new F150 when they were practically giving them away when the gas was high.
Similar experiences here. I have owned an Accord and a Mazda RX 7. Both had just as much maintenance performed on them as GM cars I've owned.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #119
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 920
I'm sure you can get anecdotal evidence of any car performing better than any other... what are the result from organizations that aggregate this information to present in an unbiased manner like CR and JDP?

I've not researched a vehicle in the last few years but from my experience their lists of highest quality in almost every class of vehicle heavily favors Japanese brands. If we're going to attack a position of quality that's where your arrows should be fired, not at Joe's Accord that didn't run as well as his Malibu.
__________________
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #120
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
American cars are very good quality and a great value. Japanese have highest quality - but you pay more for that quality.
It seems to be worth it to me after 24 years of disappointments with American carmakers.

Quote:
European cars are no more reliable than American cars, cost more up front, and have high repair costs.
True, but I don't see many BMW, Mercedes, and Audi owners bitching. VW owners are another story.........

Quote:
I drive Ford Taurus for work - 50,000 miles/year - have driven 5 Taurus cars over 80,000 miles each - only regular maintenance - never a problem - I have been very impressed.
You're smart, American cars really start tanking after 80,000 miles.......

Quote:
The US auto makers are bankrupt because of union, healthcare, and retirement costs.
True..but how is that the TAXPAYER'S fault, and why is it our responsibility to help them out. MANY business have failed due to poor planning, and we didn;t bail them out.......
__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Bail Out Main Street.... audreyh1 FIRE and Money 75 10-16-2008 09:45 AM
New Bail out Poll :) chinaco FIRE and Money 2 10-01-2008 05:54 AM
Do you support the Paulson bail out? Canadian Grunt FIRE and Money 92 09-29-2008 04:40 PM
So Will the Gov't Bail ME Out... tgotch Other topics 2 05-22-2008 09:05 PM
Can I bail in July???? Cattusbabe Hi, I am... 21 04-28-2006 03:03 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.