Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should the government bail out U.S. automakers?
Yes 18 10.00%
No 100 55.56%
Limited bailout 15 8.33%
Need to see the details before deciding 47 26.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #141
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I have asked this many times in several different forums. Why does the bankruptcy of one of the big 3 (say GM) make it inevitable or even likely that the other two would go bankrupt? Seems to me the history of countless industries over decades if not centuries is, when the weakest competitor goes under, the remaining companies in that industry benefit. ie, GM buyers won't evaporate, they will have to buy from another automaker, at least some presumably from Ford or Chrysler. What am I missing?

I am more than a little skeptical that supporters of the bailout seem to use the total collapse of all big 3 manufacturers, all their suppliers, all their dealers and everyone in the towns they're in will all fail. There's no precedent for that I know of to support that - and supporters just use it as a given.

Well put. It seems like wherever there is the possibility of a bailout everyone has their hands out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #142
Dryer sheet aficionado

2. Change union organizing rules to make it much easier for unions to organize Toyota/Honda plants and their suppliers.

Totally against this. Unions are one of our downfalls. Saying this, I must remember my father in the 50's working at a furniture factory. He was striking more than he was working. Lived on squirrel and rabbit for years.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let them fail. One way or another this society will need to bite the bullet. Keep passing it on to the other generations or take responsibility now.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Let them fail. One way or another this society will need to bite the bullet. Keep passing it on to the other generations or take responsibility now.
I agree, let them fail, go bankrupt. But let's make it a "government sponsored bankruptcy".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Why is fuel efficiency your number one issue? I would think first the fit for the use of the car or truck to your purpose. Then the total cost of ownership.
For me, it is three reasons. Although, as earlier noted, a vehicle that meets my needs (or at least comes close) is first. Otherwise I would be driving a bike
1. I figure the less gas I use the longer we will have gasoline to use. Hate to tell my nephew I wasted precious gasoline when I was younger and because of that, and other wasters, he has none.
2. National security. I hate seeing us borrowing from China in order to send money to people that don't like us (in part).
3. Environmental (and yes, electric cars move pollution from the car to the power plant, but even dirty power plants, processing and transporting the electricity, cough up less co2 than processing, transporting and burning oil)

Quote:
The Tesla sedan is 60K my Ford F150 cost 15K thats 45K more. At $3.00 a gallon thats 15K gallons of gas! My F150 get about 18MPG, so I can drive 270,000 miles on the difference in price. Pretty sure the F150 won't last that long. I may not last that long. It would take me 18 years to go that far at the rate I drive.

Why pay a premium for milage if the numbers will never work out?
Why do some pay for a sunroof, or leather seats, or seat warmers? For me, it isn't about money, it is about using less of a resource for many reasons.
And unlike a sunroof, it will end up saving me money.

Quote:
Can't carry a load of firewood in a Prius.
Well, if I needed to carry a load of firewood, I would be unhappy with a Prius, luckily I don't
Just out of curiosity, how much wood is that. Actually, by definition, a Prius can carry a 'load' of firewood
Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #146
Dryer sheet aficionado

Supposed to be many cars from the 50's in Cuba, but that was the heyday when GM and Ford WERE good.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #147
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmeme View Post
Supposed to be many cars from the 50's in Cuba, but that was the heyday when GM and Ford WERE good.
Good grief. It was a minor miracle to get one of those cars to make it to 100,000 miles....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can make anything limp along at 35 mi/hr. But that takes LOTS of free time and cheap labor, something that the poor Cubans have.

Oops, I forgot that us early retirees and LBYM'ers also have lots of above resources.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #149

Another view

Not necessarily my opinion

6 myths about the Detroit 3 | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press
Old 11-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #150
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Good thing it's not your opinion, since while it's not altogether untrue it's certainly heavily biased in favor of the big 3.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote