Join Early Retirement Today

Balancing stocks, bonds & fixed income investments
Old 05-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Balancing stocks, bonds & fixed income investments

Background:
I am 63 years old and retired last year.* I have played with FireCalc quite a bit, with the 3% inflation option, a 22 year life expentancy, and looking for a 90% success rate. My income needs from my portfolio will drop off somewhat* in a couple of years when additional pensions kick in.

I was surprised to see that my maximum withdrawal rate occurs with a split of 50% stocks and 50% LT corporate bonds. I had expected that this would occur at a much higher stock percentage. Also, I am a little surprised that the LT corporate bond* option yields so much better than the fixed income options.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong... any comments?

Thanks,
JL

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Balancing stocks, bonds & fixed income investments
Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To reproduce your results we would need all your particulars; portfolio value, W/D amount, SS amount and start date, pension amount and start date, expense ratio ...

Old 05-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

in general, the more "modest" your income requirement (relative to the total portfolio), the lower will be the equity % ... and the more "aggressive" your income requirement, the higher will be the equity %.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I don't see it as a matter of agressive or modest income requirements, but of making the optimum balance of investments in order to maximize returns for a given risk tolerance (which in my case is a 90% success rate).
With that said, it seems that we obtain a higher withdrawal opportunity if we include some non-equity type investments in our portfolio, and that we do much better with LT corporate bonds than we do with fixed income investments.
JL
Old 05-31-2006, 10:11 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

zandrajohn --

I think that could be justified.

If you put it all in bonds/fixed income you can figure on making a low, steady gain of maybe 5% or so. On the other extreme, if you put it all in stocks, you might be making 20% or losing 20% in any given year.

I'm no expert on what FIRECalc is "thinking," but I assume that when looking at the worst periods that the volatility of stocks might cause it to recommend a lesser withdraw to assure that a portfolio is not depleted in the worst case.

But I would also assume that the stock portfolio would in 95% of cases have a much higher residual value than the fixed/bond portfolio.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

similar to what has been said, the shorter time-frame of the portfolio, the more it will tend to be in fixed income. The fact that you used 22 years will increase the fixed-income percentage. This makes sense because the more you shorten up, the bigger effect the nasty periods have on a smaller window compared with a larger.

If you lengthen you tmie-frame out to 30 or more years, you will see the optimum equity percentage rise.