Join Early Retirement Today

Bank and Brokerage New Money Incentives
Old 12-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bank and Brokerage New Money Incentives

A lot of these expire soon and some are not advertised. Example: I went in to E trade to add funds and the agent advised : " add just 1k more and get a new money bonus. "

Had no previous notice from e trade and the agent had to apply the incentive to the account before the deposit . If I had just done an electronic deposit , no bonus.

It sure paid to walk into the brick and mortar location today.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Timely.
I'm hoping people post new money or brokerage incentives, as we just had a loan pay off and plunk 180k in our Discover 2% savings account. We had already taken advantage of the EBSBdirect.com 2.5% savings account - we could open another account with them, but their online and telephone presence is a bit, uhm, scary. The 3% Robinhood account doesn't fill me with that secure feeling either. I want to stay liquid, so maybe something like a big brokerage house money market account with a fat new money bonus?
Old 12-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #3

HSBC bank incentive

HSBC was offering $ 750 ($ 0850 with invitation post card) to open a 50k savings account. Not sure if it is still going on

http://www.us.hsbc.com/offers

EDIT link added
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

And of course Ally Bank just had that 1% cash back deal. Made me a quick and easy $1,000. with a $100,000. deposit.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Timely.
I'm hoping people post new money or brokerage incentives, as we just had a loan pay off and plunk 180k in our Discover 2% savings account. We had already taken advantage of the EBSBdirect.com 2.5% savings account - we could open another account with them, but their online and telephone presence is a bit, uhm, scary. The 3% Robinhood account doesn't fill me with that secure feeling either. I want to stay liquid, so maybe something like a big brokerage house money market account with a fat new money bonus?
ML has bonus offers for new monies.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We are both in on the Ally 1% bonus and have as much as I want to risk with EBSBdirect. Merrill is tempting, we have BofA/Merrill cards and could bump up our return on them with Premium status, but I thought there was an IRA stipulation, and I'm IRA free. If a money market at ML works it is tempting. Nice list of bank offers - DoctorofCredit is a big favorite.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We are both in on the Ally 1% bonus and have as much as I want to risk with EBSBdirect. Merrill is tempting, we have BofA/Merrill cards and could bump up our return on them with Premium status, but I thought there was an IRA stipulation, and I'm IRA free. If a money market at ML works it is tempting. Nice list of bank offers - DoctorofCredit is a big favorite.
The Merrill offer is IRA or CMA money market type account.
The money market account has a minimum deposit of 100k paying 1.97% currently, which does lag Fidelity and Vanguard.
If it is new money, then the bonus is $375.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #9

Digital Credit Union just raised the rate on the first $1000 in their savings account to 6.17%.

https://www.dcu.org/personal-banking...-reg-shar.html
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Digital Credit Union just raised the rate on the first $1000 in their savings account to 6.17%.

https://www.dcu.org/personal-banking...-reg-shar.html
Which is nice, but I need to get the numbers up. $61.70/year isn't worth the extra line in Quicken.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Which is nice, but I need to get the numbers up. $61.70/year isn't worth the extra line in Quicken.
I completely understand. I agonized over whether it was worth it for such a small amount, but then just considered it as if I were getting a very good $1000 CD.

Additionally, you can open another for your spouse to double it.

Anyhow, it is a very good rate, even if only for a smallish amount.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote