Join Early Retirement Today

Bank Bonus Offers
Old 10-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bank Bonus Offers

As some folks know, I am always on the lookout for bank bonus offers. At a time when savings accounts yield less than 2%, bank bonus offers can yield upwards of 10%, 15%, or more on an APY basis. Generally, there's little more required than opening the account, funding it with some level of deposits, leaving the money in the account for some period of time, and then collecting your free money. As someone taking advantage of these offers, diligence in meeting and sticking to the requirements of the offer is key. Some will require direct deposits, others may require a certain number of debit card transactions per month. Be sure to understand the terms and any fine print. Sometimes the account needs to additionally remain open past the bonus payment with some minimum funding level, or they take back the bonus or may charge fees.

Over the past couple years, I have taken advantage of at least 10 of these offers. I believe it is the easiest way to make a completely 100% safe risk free return on your money, generally for spending maybe 15 or 20 minutes of effort, and maybe periodically moving some online money around. These are all respectable, FDIC insured banking institutions.

Also, keep a watch for any offers similar to these which may be available at your local bank branches, where you may need to go in, sit down with a representative, and open the account. I've done this at the following local banks: Chase, Investors Bank, M&T Bank for $300, $250, and $250 respectively. With Chase, we've also done it online multiple times.

Many folks around here took advantage of the Ally 1% bonus offer earlier this year. Currently the Marcus 1% bonus offer is just about to complete.

My favorite sites for uncovering these offers are at:
https://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/best-bank-promotions/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/deal-...-expiry-dates/

There are a few others out there, but most will copy theirs from these two sites.

The same way folks routinely scan depositaccounts.com for the best CD and savings rates out there, I highly recommend doing the same for these bank bonus offers.

A few of my favorite bonus offers, which are still available and very easy to complete are:

Simple.com
https://simple.com/offer
Open account by 10/31, fund it to $10,000/$20,000 by 11/15, maintain balance until 1/31/2020, collect $250/$500
Some folks have indicated they are having difficulty opening the account. I've opened two accounts for folks in my household, took about 5 minutes each with two very easy screens to complete. It's possible that folks are running in to difficulties if their credit reports are locked - I really have no idea, but it is a thought. I never do these under my name, because my reports are locked everywhere and I have been rejected enough to know better.

Discover Savings Account
https://www.discover.com/online-bank...ng-04/?TPR=069
Open account by 11/4, fund it to $15,000/$25,000 by 11/18, collect $150/$200 by 12/2. This one is the best - your money is there for a maximum of two weeks and you collect 1%. In reality, Discover credits the bonus even quicker and once that happens, you are free to transfer all the money out and close the account - no penalties or fee for early account closure.

Capital One
https://www.capitalone.com/save1000/
Open account by 12/31, deposit $10,000 within 10 days of opening account, maintain balance for 90 days, collect $200. If you have $150,000 you can do it for $1000, but getting $200 for $10,000 is obviously the better bang for the buck.

So, take advantage of these offers for free money! As interest rates continue to head lower, meaning less return on CDs and savings, allocating a small amount of that money to taking advantage of these offers can give a nice boost to your safe money returns.

If you find new bonus offers that are available online, post them here and share with your friends!
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Great idea for a thread.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rec'd a mailer this summer from Wells. If I did a phone call with a banker to discuss portfolio premier they would give me $200. Conversation went like this: "Thanks for calling WellsFargo. POrtfolio PRemier is a thing that exists. Where would you like me to deposit your $200?" Easiest money I ever made
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for creating a thread that will offload the topic from the CD & MM Rates thread.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

This is good information. We have done a few of these as well, not 10 though! One thing to consider/remember, especially if managing income against ACA limits, is that the bonuses get reported as income to the IRS. I believe a 1099-MISC is generated.
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Bank Bonus Offers
Old 10-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Bank Bonus Offers

Just got email from Chase. I think the offer has been out there for awhile:
New Chase checking account gets $200 bonus with direct deposit.

New Chase savings account w/ $10k on deposit for 90 days earns $150.

The offers can be combined for total of $350.

The direct deposit requirement looks pretty strict but I noticed recently that a 401k distribution from Fido to BoA was coded as “pension” so I’d give that a shot.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Just got email from Chase. I think the offer has been out there for awhile:
New Chase checking account gets $200 bonus with direct deposit.

New Chase savings account w/ $10k on deposit for 90 days earns $150.

The offers can be combined for total of $350.

The direct deposit requirement looks pretty strict but I noticed recently that a 401k distribution from Fido to BoA was coded as “pension” so I’d give that a shot.

https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/...ine?px=QZ74297
Old 10-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Signed up for Chase $600 Cash Back

$300 for Checking w/ Direct Deposit (min. $500)
$200 for Savings if $15K kept for 90 days
$100 if both above are satisfied.

I get Chase free money every 2 years
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #9

I've noticed that this seems to be a year end phenomenon. The theory is, certain institutions have deduced that a pumped up year end balance sheet(known as the "call report" to those in the industry), is some sort of advantage.

I took advantage of 2 of these offers last fall, ironically with the same maturing CD dollars moved twice in a very short period.

I've just set up 2 of the Simple offers, for a bonus of $1,000 based on deposits of $40,000. That's the best deal I've seen, especially since it comes with a 2.15% savings rate. Thanks NJhowie. Easiest accounts I've ever opened and did not have to unfreeze our credit.

We would be happy to do another such deal, but the Discover, Chase, Cap One and Wells Fargo deals seem like too much work for too little reward.

Also thanks to NJhowie for starting this thread. I check the CD/MM thread daily and have found actionable info more than a few times for our CD ladder. This will become another go to thread.

If it hasn't been already, can we sticky this thread?
Old 10-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
Signed up for Chase $600 Cash Back

$300 for Checking w/ Direct Deposit (min. $500)
$200 for Savings if $15K kept for 90 days
$100 if both above are satisfied.

I get Chase free money every 2 years
Retired1;. I'm of the impression that for the Chase bonus, one needs to open a checking account and have $75,000 on deposit for a period of time, with mandatory transactions. Am I correct?
Old 10-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
gone traveling

I'm under the impression Chase has a 1k promo now till X(months end?) for a 75K deposit w/terms.
https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/...pphirechampion

Reading the fine print seems prudent.
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #12

Citibank Checking/Savings Account Offers (must be new Citibank customer to be eligible)
https://banking.citi.com/cbol/checki...er/Default.htm
  • Open new account by 12/31
  • Deposit $5000/$15,000/$50,000 within 30 days of opening account
  • Maintain minimum balance for 60 days
  • Bonus of $200/$400/$700 credited within 90 days after the 60 days (need to maintain $1500/$10,000/$50,000 minimum balance to avoid monthly fees or age 62+ in the $200 bonus offer account)
Old 10-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I've noticed that this seems to be a year end phenomenon. The theory is, certain institutions have deduced that a pumped up year end balance sheet(known as the "call report" to those in the industry), is some sort of advantage.

I took advantage of 2 of these offers last fall, ironically with the same maturing CD dollars moved twice in a very short period.

I've just set up 2 of the Simple offers, for a bonus of $1,000 based on deposits of $40,000. That's the best deal I've seen, especially since it comes with a 2.15% savings rate. Thanks NJhowie. Easiest accounts I've ever opened and did not have to unfreeze our credit.

We would be happy to do another such deal, but the Discover, Chase, Cap One and Wells Fargo deals seem like too much work for too little reward.

Also thanks to NJhowie for starting this thread. I check the CD/MM thread daily and have found actionable info more than a few times for our CD ladder. This will become another go to thread.

If it hasn't been already, can we sticky this thread?
Glad the Simple worked for you.

The Discover and Capital One are no work at all - same as the Ally/Marcus deals - just open the account and move the money in, nothing else to do. Though the maximum amount you can collect is lower. But again, the Discover deal will give you the bonus in 2 weeks tops and then you can transfer the money out and close - no fees or penalties ... they are giving this money away.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
I'm under the impression Chase has a 1k promo now till X(months end?) for a 75K deposit w/terms.
https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/...pphirechampion

Reading the fine print seems prudent.

Your link states a $750 bonus, not $1,000.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-29-2019, 03:50 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Your link states a $750 bonus, not $1,000.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
The attached below is the updated 1k version.

https://accounts.chase.com/consumer/...apphirebanking
Old 10-29-2019, 05:36 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
As some folks know, I am always on the lookout for bank bonus offers. At a time when savings accounts yield less than 2%, bank bonus offers can yield upwards of 10%, 15%, or more on an APY basis. Generally, there's little more required than opening the account, funding it with some level of deposits, leaving the money in the account for some period of time, and then collecting your free money. As someone taking advantage of these offers, diligence in meeting and sticking to the requirements of the offer is key. Some will require direct deposits, others may require a certain number of debit card transactions per month. Be sure to understand the terms and any fine print. Sometimes the account needs to additionally remain open past the bonus payment with some minimum funding level, or they take back the bonus or may charge fees.

Over the past couple years, I have taken advantage of at least 10 of these offers. I believe it is the easiest way to make a completely 100% safe risk free return on your money, generally for spending maybe 15 or 20 minutes of effort, and maybe periodically moving some online money around. These are all respectable, FDIC insured banking institutions.

Also, keep a watch for any offers similar to these which may be available at your local bank branches, where you may need to go in, sit down with a representative, and open the account. I've done this at the following local banks: Chase, Investors Bank, M&T Bank for $300, $250, and $250 respectively. With Chase, we've also done it online multiple times.

Many folks around here took advantage of the Ally 1% bonus offer earlier this year. Currently the Marcus 1% bonus offer is just about to complete.

My favorite sites for uncovering these offers are at:
https://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/best-bank-promotions/

There are a few others out there, but most will copy theirs from these two sites.

The same way folks routinely scan depositaccounts.com for the best CD and savings rates out there, I highly recommend doing the same for these bank bonus offers.

A few of my favorite bonus offers, which are still available and very easy to complete are:

Simple.com
https://simple.com/offer
Open account by 10/31, fund it to $10,000/$20,000 by 11/15, maintain balance until 1/31/2020, collect $250/$500
Some folks have indicated they are having difficulty opening the account. I've opened two accounts for folks in my household, took about 5 minutes each with two very easy screens to complete. It's possible that folks are running in to difficulties if their credit reports are locked - I really have no idea, but it is a thought. I never do these under my name, because my reports are locked everywhere and I have been rejected enough to know better.

Discover Savings Account
https://www.discover.com/online-bank...ng-04/?TPR=069
Open account by 11/4, fund it to $15,000/$25,000 by 11/18, collect $150/$200 by 12/2. This one is the best - your money is there for a maximum of two weeks and you collect 1%. In reality, Discover credits the bonus even quicker and once that happens, you are free to transfer all the money out and close the account - no penalties or fee for early account closure.

Capital One
https://www.capitalone.com/save1000/
Open account by 12/31, deposit $10,000 within 10 days of opening account, maintain balance for 90 days, collect $200. If you have $150,000 you can do it for $1000, but getting $200 for $10,000 is obviously the better bang for the buck.

So, take advantage of these offers for free money! As interest rates continue to head lower, meaning less return on CDs and savings, allocating a small amount of that money to taking advantage of these offers can give a nice boost to your safe money returns.

If you find new bonus offers that are available online, post them here and share with your friends!
Excellent sources. There is also a tab for bank bonus offers on depositaccounts.com.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:56 AM   #17

simple.com, they asked me three times to upload documents, each time several days went by before the new request. After two times I gave up. No bank has this many problems, so I have abandoned this bank.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
simple.com, they asked me three times to upload documents, each time several days went by before the new request. After two times I gave up. No bank has this many problems, so I have abandoned this bank.
I can appreciate it...I went through exactly the same with Digital Credit Union (DCU). Wanted upload of my drivers license. First time I took a snap shot with my phone. They said it wasn't clear enough. Understood. Couldn't re-upload - website only allowed one upload per document type and would not allow replacing. Came back a few months later, figured I'd try again, wanted upload of drivers license again. This time, I used the high quality flatbed scanner and increased size. They said it still wasn't clear. They obviously didn't want me as a member.

You may be interested in DCU as an alternative for a single high yield CD (which you can do multiple times for others in your family) - will get you 6.17% on first $1000 savings ... if they open the account for you

https://www.dcu.org/bank/savings/primary-savings.html
Old 10-29-2019, 08:17 AM   #19

Since I play the credit card points/miles game, I've considered doing some of these new accounts bonuses. I get offers from Chase weekly in the mail. But, when I figure out all of the hoops and net out the interest lost from moving money out of my MMF, it rarely seems worth the trouble. Still, I might look into some of these more closely. Thanks for starting this thread.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Since I play the credit card points/miles game, I've considered doing some of these new accounts bonuses. I get offers from Chase weekly in the mail. But, when I figure out all of the hoops and net out the interest lost from moving money out of my MMF, it rarely seems worth the trouble. Still, I might look into some of these more closely. Thanks for starting this thread.
The doctorofcredit site also includes points/miles offers. I don't do those, so can't comment on how good they are.