Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
All my banks have been paperless for five years. Now I have a workload downloading and managing PDFs. And creating backups. I am rapidly approaching the time when I start purging the older ones.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Have others experienced this?
Yes. Our bank recently started charging $2 to mail a paper statement. I stopped that and now print a statement for DW to use off their site. It's really not easier. I had to set up a reminder to myself to go do it monthly. Then signing on to the bank site, clicking around and printing the statement takes a few minutes. Having DW get the envelope via snailmail left me completely out of the picture.........

Old 08-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
No paper and rarely open the PDF statement either. All transactions reviewed by other means as they happen.
Same. I don't really have any need for "statements" at all, paper or otherwise. I monitor all transactions and balances online, on a more-or-less daily basis, using a couple different account aggregation tools. Fidelity archives pdf statements online for 10 years, which is more than adequate for any tax or other "official" needs, but I tend to use the account aggregation software for those purposes as well. I haven't paid a bank fee of any kind (including ATM fees) for at least a decade.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #24

I don't understand printing electronic statements just to have a printed copy.

If you save the PDF (or whatever other form), you always have the option to print it -- oh well, I did assume that one has a PC backup plan that is at least as good as the backup plan for those paper documents.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post

If you save the PDF (or whatever other form), you always have the option to print it -- oh well, I did assume that one has a PC backup plan that is at least as good as the backup plan for those paper documents.
That is where these cloud storage spaces like google drive or one drive can be useful. Save the documents there and it doesn't matter if your computer crashes.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #26

Where we live many businesses are charging for paper statements. Can't say that I blame them. It is an expensive proposition.

Prior to travelling and living in temp. locations for a year or so we moved everything possible to email statements. It sure cut down on the shredding. Plus it had the added convenience of being able to access and act on any statements while not at home. Lets save the trees.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:57 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I would go to all e-statements but my wife is not very computer-literate and if something happened to me I'm afraid chaos would ensue. So I pay a couple places for paper statements. If other places where we have accounts start charging for paper, I'll just consolidate accounts.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #28

I think that's the US Post Office I hear sobbing in distance! Only paper I get now is annual FIDO and monthly Amex bill that I use to reconcile. Save paper? Financial statements are nothing compared to all the crap offers and catalogs. On trash day as I roll the recycle bin in I stop at mailbox and usually have nothing left to bring in the house after I sort through it all.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Financial statements are nothing compared to all the crap offers and catalogs.
You can't even die to avoid these. My BIL has been dead since 2010 and we still get stuff addressed to him (we had his mail forwarded to us when he went into the hospital).
Old 08-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

SO is way ahead of me and most anyone else we meet on making computer and phone and device operating systems do her bidding - she is just dogged about digging down into menu trees and figuring out how a system works. When she worked as an automotive parts counter person they would have contests to see who could find a part in their system the fastest and she won. always. Her ability to use the best search terms means she can pull out obscure facts or info on people and places from the internet at a downright scary speed.

Before her folks died she transferred all their boxes of slides - thousands of them - to digital using a Nikon camera and lens attachment. one at a time. She has something like 80,000 digital songs on redundant hard drives - for Christmas last year she created a list of artists and songs and gave people full 64 GB thumb drives - I mean full as in could not fit another single song. Dogged. Persistent. Not shy about work.

We have our Quicken files - and copies of Quicken to run them - on several computers as well as in a safety deposit box and on thumb drives at home and on the road when we travel.

The cloud does not get our data - oh sure, I'm sure it is all out there, but we aren't using it as dedicated storage.

Paper files? Yup, probably several tons in the attic and in multiple file cabinets. I imagine it is the same reason we have way more real estate than stocks. We can touch them. They are real and under our direct control. Come the massive alien EMP we can let PenFed know they owe us $xxx - and have the paper to back it up. If the whole dang world goes kerscheeit I guess we can build an igloo out of banker boxes and stay warm through the nuclear winter burning statements from1997 back. Until then, since all I have to do is move file boxes and run the printer we will keep paper files. I don't have the army or the energy to oppose SO's will on that little matter.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
SO is way ahead of me and most anyone else we meet on making computer and phone and device operating systems do her bidding - she is just dogged about digging down into menu trees and figuring out how a system works. When she worked as an automotive parts counter person they would have contests to see who could find a part in their system the fastest and she won. always. Her ability to use the best search terms means she can pull out obscure facts or info on people and places from the internet at a downright scary speed.

Before her folks died she transferred all their boxes of slides - thousands of them - to digital using a Nikon camera and lens attachment. one at a time. She has something like 80,000 digital songs on redundant hard drives - for Christmas last year she created a list of artists and songs and gave people full 64 GB thumb drives - I mean full as in could not fit another single song. Dogged. Persistent. Not shy about work.

We have our Quicken files - and copies of Quicken to run them - on several computers as well as in a safety deposit box and on thumb drives at home and on the road when we travel.

The cloud does not get our data - oh sure, I'm sure it is all out there, but we aren't using it as dedicated storage.

Paper files? Yup, probably several tons in the attic and in multiple file cabinets. I imagine it is the same reason we have way more real estate than stocks. We can touch them. They are real and under our direct control. Come the massive alien EMP we can let PenFed know they owe us $xxx - and have the paper to back it up. If the whole dang world goes kerscheeit I guess we can build an igloo out of banker boxes and stay warm through the nuclear winter burning statements from1997 back. Until then, since all I have to do is move file boxes and run the printer we will keep paper files. I don't have the army or the energy to oppose SO's will on that little matter.
Wow! how the heck do you keep track of all of this?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Speaking of bank fees, I was very surprised to learn that the bank charges my quilt guild a fee for depositing cash. I am the Treasurer & we have a "small business" account. We just had our biennial quilt show which of course took in a large amount of cash. They charged 12 cents per $100, for any cash over $5000 in a month. Thus we incurred a fee of $4.20 last month. Irritated, I considered changing banks, but they all probably have their version of "hidden" fees, & then we'd also have to pay for new checks & deposit slips.
That would flat-out irritate me to the point that I'd find a new bank. My guild's money is not good enough for you? Nuts to you bank!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post

Understand. Do whatever works for you.

I have several hundred pounds of paper -- just about every bill, statement, trade confirmation and check that I ever wrote before a few years ago dating back to the 1970's. I filled about 1 banker box per year. I can't ever recall having to go back any further than a few months on anything, and even those situations were rare. The charges for paper statements gave me the incentive to create a very simple system of filing the electronic statements. I have been working with computers since 1973, so this is no great accomplishment for me. The stuff gets backed up every 4 hours to three different locations. The backup/restore is also backed up on the same media (bootable -- so I have the capability to do a "bare metal" restore if necessary -- for a while I worked in the "disaster recovery" software business, so am familiar with those scenarios).

But now, I have all this paper, some of it 40 years old, and I need to get rid of it.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Understand. Do whatever works for you.

I have several hundred pounds of paper -- just about every bill, statement, trade confirmation and check that I ever wrote before a few years ago dating back to the 1970's. I filled about 1 banker box per year. I can't ever recall having to go back any further than a few months on anything, and even those situations were rare. The charges for paper statements gave me the incentive to create a very simple system of filing the electronic statements. I have been working with computers since 1973, so this is no great accomplishment for me. The stuff gets backed up every 4 hours to three different locations. The backup/restore is also backed up on the same media (bootable -- so I have the capability to do a "bare metal" restore if necessary -- for a while I worked in the "disaster recovery" software business, so am familiar with those scenarios).

But now, I have all this paper, some of it 40 years old, and I need to get rid of it.

Igloos man - igloos or bonfires.

I would be happy to just run with a current bank statement and the 1099 that pops up on the websites, but that's not gonna happen. Most of my paper filing is via holding the page up and looking helpless, followed by an exasperated breath and someone explaining to me that things are filed from the back of the manila folder marked Dieringer inside the hanging file marked New Loans in the second drawer down of the 2013 cabinet... unless it's in the "goes south" files or the keep forever files or the tax prep files.. But by gar, she can find anything like a flash, so that's what counts.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Here's what you can use, an 800 hp shredder. Pretty impressive:

Old 08-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #36

Found one of the mobile shred services that parks one of their trucks in front of their office every Saturday. They charge $10 for the first box and $5/box for the others. You watch them do it. That'll probably be good enough.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have several hundred pounds of paper -- just about every bill, statement, trade confirmation and check that I ever wrote before a few years ago dating back to the 1970's.
And I read this as I sit here in my office, surrounded by stacks of various paperwork, sorted by category... Sometimes, and right now is one of those times - I am so glad to have been a bit of a packrat. Currently in a -- uh, I'll call it a difference of opinion, with my now ex-employer as I very recently retired. Seems their thinking of whether pay was current or in arrears, coupled with vacation vesting rights had an HR minion thinking it would be OK to just not pay me my final paycheck. I have dug through over 20 years worth of employment related paperwork, which includes old memos, pay statements, and even my interview notes with names, dates, and topic of discussion. In my paperwork, I was hoping to find the smoking gun to prove my point, but I found several flaming cannons instead. Old paperwork can be mighty useful.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
And I read this as I sit here in my office, surrounded by stacks of various paperwork, sorted by category... Sometimes, and right now is one of those times - I am so glad to have been a bit of a packrat. Currently in a -- uh, I'll call it a difference of opinion, with my now ex-employer as I very recently retired. Seems their thinking of whether pay was current or in arrears, coupled with vacation vesting rights had an HR minion thinking it would be OK to just not pay me my final paycheck. I have dug through over 20 years worth of employment related paperwork, which includes old memos, pay statements, and even my interview notes with names, dates, and topic of discussion. In my paperwork, I was hoping to find the smoking gun to prove my point, but I found several flaming cannons instead. Old paperwork can be mighty useful.
I guess I am having trouble remembering saying that one should throw everything out. Obviously if you might need it, then you should keep it. Do I really need my phone bills from 1976?
Old 08-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #39

And it is also a matter of what medium to keep things. Six, six-drawer filing cabinets versus a two thumb drives stored in different locations?
Old 08-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
That is where these cloud storage spaces like google drive or one drive can be useful. Save the documents there and it doesn't matter if your computer crashes.
I am not brave enough to put confidential info on network storage. Instead, I store them in a couple of USB sticks with encryption.