Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 5,739
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
All my banks have been paperless for five years. Now I have a workload downloading and managing PDFs. And creating backups. I am rapidly approaching the time when I start purging the older ones.
__________________

__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Have others experienced this?
Yes. Our bank recently started charging $2 to mail a paper statement. I stopped that and now print a statement for DW to use off their site. It's really not easier. I had to set up a reminder to myself to go do it monthly. Then signing on to the bank site, clicking around and printing the statement takes a few minutes. Having DW get the envelope via snailmail left me completely out of the picture.........
__________________

__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Cobra9777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
No paper and rarely open the PDF statement either. All transactions reviewed by other means as they happen.
Same. I don't really have any need for "statements" at all, paper or otherwise. I monitor all transactions and balances online, on a more-or-less daily basis, using a couple different account aggregation tools. Fidelity archives pdf statements online for 10 years, which is more than adequate for any tax or other "official" needs, but I tend to use the account aggregation software for those purposes as well. I haven't paid a bank fee of any kind (including ATM fees) for at least a decade.
__________________
Retired at 52 in July 2013. On to better things...
AA: 55% stock, 15% real estate, 27% bonds, 3% cash
WR: 2.0% SI: 2 pensions, some rental income, SS later
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,573
I don't understand printing electronic statements just to have a printed copy.

If you save the PDF (or whatever other form), you always have the option to print it -- oh well, I did assume that one has a PC backup plan that is at least as good as the backup plan for those paper documents.
__________________
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
timo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I don't understand printing electronic statements just to have a printed copy.

If you save the PDF (or whatever other form), you always have the option to print it -- oh well, I did assume that one has a PC backup plan that is at least as good as the backup plan for those paper documents.
That is where these cloud storage spaces like google drive or one drive can be useful. Save the documents there and it doesn't matter if your computer crashes.
__________________
"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" Michael O’Neill
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,693
Where we live many businesses are charging for paper statements. Can't say that I blame them. It is an expensive proposition.

Prior to travelling and living in temp. locations for a year or so we moved everything possible to email statements. It sure cut down on the shredding. Plus it had the added convenience of being able to access and act on any statements while not at home. Lets save the trees.
__________________
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:57 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
prudent_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 158
I would go to all e-statements but my wife is not very computer-literate and if something happened to me I'm afraid chaos would ensue. So I pay a couple places for paper statements. If other places where we have accounts start charging for paper, I'll just consolidate accounts.
__________________
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,104
I think that's the US Post Office I hear sobbing in distance! Only paper I get now is annual FIDO and monthly Amex bill that I use to reconcile. Save paper? Financial statements are nothing compared to all the crap offers and catalogs. On trash day as I roll the recycle bin in I stop at mailbox and usually have nothing left to bring in the house after I sort through it all.
__________________
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Financial statements are nothing compared to all the crap offers and catalogs.
You can't even die to avoid these. My BIL has been dead since 2010 and we still get stuff addressed to him (we had his mail forwarded to us when he went into the hospital).
__________________
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I don't understand printing electronic statements just to have a printed copy.

If you save the PDF (or whatever other form), you always have the option to print it -- oh well, I did assume that one has a PC backup plan that is at least as good as the backup plan for those paper documents.
SO is way ahead of me and most anyone else we meet on making computer and phone and device operating systems do her bidding - she is just dogged about digging down into menu trees and figuring out how a system works. When she worked as an automotive parts counter person they would have contests to see who could find a part in their system the fastest and she won. always. Her ability to use the best search terms means she can pull out obscure facts or info on people and places from the internet at a downright scary speed.

Before her folks died she transferred all their boxes of slides - thousands of them - to digital using a Nikon camera and lens attachment. one at a time. She has something like 80,000 digital songs on redundant hard drives - for Christmas last year she created a list of artists and songs and gave people full 64 GB thumb drives - I mean full as in could not fit another single song. Dogged. Persistent. Not shy about work.

We have our Quicken files - and copies of Quicken to run them - on several computers as well as in a safety deposit box and on thumb drives at home and on the road when we travel.

The cloud does not get our data - oh sure, I'm sure it is all out there, but we aren't using it as dedicated storage.

Paper files? Yup, probably several tons in the attic and in multiple file cabinets. I imagine it is the same reason we have way more real estate than stocks. We can touch them. They are real and under our direct control. Come the massive alien EMP we can let PenFed know they owe us $xxx - and have the paper to back it up. If the whole dang world goes kerscheeit I guess we can build an igloo out of banker boxes and stay warm through the nuclear winter burning statements from1997 back. Until then, since all I have to do is move file boxes and run the printer we will keep paper files. I don't have the army or the energy to oppose SO's will on that little matter.
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
SO is way ahead of me and most anyone else we meet on making computer and phone and device operating systems do her bidding - she is just dogged about digging down into menu trees and figuring out how a system works. When she worked as an automotive parts counter person they would have contests to see who could find a part in their system the fastest and she won. always. Her ability to use the best search terms means she can pull out obscure facts or info on people and places from the internet at a downright scary speed.

Before her folks died she transferred all their boxes of slides - thousands of them - to digital using a Nikon camera and lens attachment. one at a time. She has something like 80,000 digital songs on redundant hard drives - for Christmas last year she created a list of artists and songs and gave people full 64 GB thumb drives - I mean full as in could not fit another single song. Dogged. Persistent. Not shy about work.

We have our Quicken files - and copies of Quicken to run them - on several computers as well as in a safety deposit box and on thumb drives at home and on the road when we travel.

The cloud does not get our data - oh sure, I'm sure it is all out there, but we aren't using it as dedicated storage.

Paper files? Yup, probably several tons in the attic and in multiple file cabinets. I imagine it is the same reason we have way more real estate than stocks. We can touch them. They are real and under our direct control. Come the massive alien EMP we can let PenFed know they owe us $xxx - and have the paper to back it up. If the whole dang world goes kerscheeit I guess we can build an igloo out of banker boxes and stay warm through the nuclear winter burning statements from1997 back. Until then, since all I have to do is move file boxes and run the printer we will keep paper files. I don't have the army or the energy to oppose SO's will on that little matter.
Wow! how the heck do you keep track of all of this?
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #32
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Speaking of bank fees, I was very surprised to learn that the bank charges my quilt guild a fee for depositing cash. I am the Treasurer & we have a "small business" account. We just had our biennial quilt show which of course took in a large amount of cash. They charged 12 cents per $100, for any cash over $5000 in a month. Thus we incurred a fee of $4.20 last month. Irritated, I considered changing banks, but they all probably have their version of "hidden" fees, & then we'd also have to pay for new checks & deposit slips.
That would flat-out irritate me to the point that I'd find a new bank. My guild's money is not good enough for you? Nuts to you bank!
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
SO is way ahead of me and most anyone else we meet on making computer and phone and device operating systems do her bidding - she is just dogged about digging down into menu trees and figuring out how a system works. When she worked as an automotive parts counter person they would have contests to see who could find a part in their system the fastest and she won. always. Her ability to use the best search terms means she can pull out obscure facts or info on people and places from the internet at a downright scary speed.

Before her folks died she transferred all their boxes of slides - thousands of them - to digital using a Nikon camera and lens attachment. one at a time. She has something like 80,000 digital songs on redundant hard drives - for Christmas last year she created a list of artists and songs and gave people full 64 GB thumb drives - I mean full as in could not fit another single song. Dogged. Persistent. Not shy about work.

We have our Quicken files - and copies of Quicken to run them - on several computers as well as in a safety deposit box and on thumb drives at home and on the road when we travel.

The cloud does not get our data - oh sure, I'm sure it is all out there, but we aren't using it as dedicated storage.

Paper files? Yup, probably several tons in the attic and in multiple file cabinets. I imagine it is the same reason we have way more real estate than stocks. We can touch them. They are real and under our direct control. Come the massive alien EMP we can let PenFed know they owe us $xxx - and have the paper to back it up. If the whole dang world goes kerscheeit I guess we can build an igloo out of banker boxes and stay warm through the nuclear winter burning statements from1997 back. Until then, since all I have to do is move file boxes and run the printer we will keep paper files. I don't have the army or the energy to oppose SO's will on that little matter.
Understand. Do whatever works for you.

I have several hundred pounds of paper -- just about every bill, statement, trade confirmation and check that I ever wrote before a few years ago dating back to the 1970's. I filled about 1 banker box per year. I can't ever recall having to go back any further than a few months on anything, and even those situations were rare. The charges for paper statements gave me the incentive to create a very simple system of filing the electronic statements. I have been working with computers since 1973, so this is no great accomplishment for me. The stuff gets backed up every 4 hours to three different locations. The backup/restore is also backed up on the same media (bootable -- so I have the capability to do a "bare metal" restore if necessary -- for a while I worked in the "disaster recovery" software business, so am familiar with those scenarios).

But now, I have all this paper, some of it 40 years old, and I need to get rid of it.
__________________
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Understand. Do whatever works for you.

I have several hundred pounds of paper -- just about every bill, statement, trade confirmation and check that I ever wrote before a few years ago dating back to the 1970's. I filled about 1 banker box per year. I can't ever recall having to go back any further than a few months on anything, and even those situations were rare. The charges for paper statements gave me the incentive to create a very simple system of filing the electronic statements. I have been working with computers since 1973, so this is no great accomplishment for me. The stuff gets backed up every 4 hours to three different locations. The backup/restore is also backed up on the same media (bootable -- so I have the capability to do a "bare metal" restore if necessary -- for a while I worked in the "disaster recovery" software business, so am familiar with those scenarios).

But now, I have all this paper, some of it 40 years old, and I need to get rid of it.

Igloos man - igloos or bonfires.

I would be happy to just run with a current bank statement and the 1099 that pops up on the websites, but that's not gonna happen. Most of my paper filing is via holding the page up and looking helpless, followed by an exasperated breath and someone explaining to me that things are filed from the back of the manila folder marked Dieringer inside the hanging file marked New Loans in the second drawer down of the 2013 cabinet... unless it's in the "goes south" files or the keep forever files or the tax prep files.. But by gar, she can find anything like a flash, so that's what counts.
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #35
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
But now, I have all this paper, some of it 40 years old, and I need to get rid of it.
Here's what you can use, an 800 hp shredder. Pretty impressive:

__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,573
Found one of the mobile shred services that parks one of their trucks in front of their office every Saturday. They charge $10 for the first box and $5/box for the others. You watch them do it. That'll probably be good enough.
__________________
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets
Theseus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I have several hundred pounds of paper -- just about every bill, statement, trade confirmation and check that I ever wrote before a few years ago dating back to the 1970's.
And I read this as I sit here in my office, surrounded by stacks of various paperwork, sorted by category... Sometimes, and right now is one of those times - I am so glad to have been a bit of a packrat. Currently in a -- uh, I'll call it a difference of opinion, with my now ex-employer as I very recently retired. Seems their thinking of whether pay was current or in arrears, coupled with vacation vesting rights had an HR minion thinking it would be OK to just not pay me my final paycheck. I have dug through over 20 years worth of employment related paperwork, which includes old memos, pay statements, and even my interview notes with names, dates, and topic of discussion. In my paperwork, I was hoping to find the smoking gun to prove my point, but I found several flaming cannons instead. Old paperwork can be mighty useful.
__________________
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
And I read this as I sit here in my office, surrounded by stacks of various paperwork, sorted by category... Sometimes, and right now is one of those times - I am so glad to have been a bit of a packrat. Currently in a -- uh, I'll call it a difference of opinion, with my now ex-employer as I very recently retired. Seems their thinking of whether pay was current or in arrears, coupled with vacation vesting rights had an HR minion thinking it would be OK to just not pay me my final paycheck. I have dug through over 20 years worth of employment related paperwork, which includes old memos, pay statements, and even my interview notes with names, dates, and topic of discussion. In my paperwork, I was hoping to find the smoking gun to prove my point, but I found several flaming cannons instead. Old paperwork can be mighty useful.
I guess I am having trouble remembering saying that one should throw everything out. Obviously if you might need it, then you should keep it. Do I really need my phone bills from 1976?
__________________
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,914
And it is also a matter of what medium to keep things. Six, six-drawer filing cabinets versus a two thumb drives stored in different locations?
__________________
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
That is where these cloud storage spaces like google drive or one drive can be useful. Save the documents there and it doesn't matter if your computer crashes.
I am not brave enough to put confidential info on network storage. Instead, I store them in a couple of USB sticks with encryption.
__________________

__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On Paper or On Screen (Paper or Plastic) RonBoyd Other topics 0 07-15-2010 11:27 AM
Best toilet paper and paper towels summer2007 FIRE and Money 59 12-04-2008 08:02 PM
A canceled credit card can still receive charges and refunds Alan FIRE and Money 10 10-12-2007 07:04 PM
Getting A Paper Paper? Danny Other topics 29 06-09-2006 06:03 PM
Interest charges? Since 1986?!?!?!? BUM Other topics 7 12-02-2005 06:00 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.