Join Early Retirement Today

Bank Loan Funds
Old 05-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bank Loan Funds

My MIL has a fund she is closing out and wants something safe with a reasonable return. She had this in a Symetra annuity which is being closed at no cost, was returning about 4%. The Capital One CD rate is 4.75%, her financial ‘advisor’ at Washington Mutual is recommending a Hanford Floating Rate Trust(HFLIX) which is paying 6.1% right now and this fund needs to be held for 1 yr or there is a 1% penalty.
This seems pretty reasonable, she should not need the funds for a year or more and this is a good rate and it looks fairly safe although not FDIC anything.. Are these bank loan funds a reasonable thing for her to hold? This is about 20% of her financial assets, not counting her home which she is in the process of selling.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Bank Loan Funds
Old 05-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

HSBC online savings account is paying 5.05%. No fees and no wire fees to transfer in or out (transaction time is 3 days).
I use one to hide money from myself (any trick I can think of to make me believe I am broke) and to move money between different bank & CU accounts without paying their wire fee.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl
HSBC online savings account is paying 5.05%. No fees and no wire fees to transfer in or out (transaction time is 3 days).
I use one to hide money from myself (any trick I can think of to make me believe I am broke) and to move money between different bank & CU accounts without paying their wire fee.
Darryl, let me offer my services ... I'll make sure you won't will have difficulty, finding you dough
Old 05-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've plugged $$ into FNBOdirect - a savings account paying 6% on up to 1 million $, rate good till Sept 28. Short term money with pretty quick access and no penalty for early withdrawal. FDIC insured up to $100,000. I like not being locked in at a rate for a long time, though a longer guaranteed rate on their part would be nicer....
Old 05-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Be careful with the Hartford fund, it is basicallly an intermediate term junk bond fund which invests in below investment grade variable interest rate loans to corporations, average credit quality is B-BB.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

http://www.latc.com/2006/09/20/business/business3.html
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
Be careful with the Hartford fund, it is basicallly an intermediate term junk bond fund which invests in below investment grade variable interest rate loans to corporations, average credit quality is B-BB.
I agree. Bank loans get a good rap because they generally did well during the junk marfket collapse in 2002-2003, but in the intervening years many stupid bank loans have been made to junky borrowers.

I would investigate agencies, especially the Federal Home Loan Bank's bonds. They are backed by the feddle gummint (and not public/quasi-independent like Fannie) and generally offer a spread over comparable treasuries. They are also exempt from state and local income taxes.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Darryl, let me offer my services ... I'll make sure you won't will have difficulty, finding you dough
Mega-Corp, very kind of you and I am tempted to accept but I am thinking I may have too many accounts and should drop a few.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #9

Quote:
I've plugged $$ into FNBOdirect - a savings account paying 6% on up to 1 million $, rate good till Sept 28. Short term money with pretty quick access and no penalty for early withdrawal. FDIC insured up to $100,000. I like not being locked in at a rate for a long time, though a longer guaranteed rate on their part would be nicer....
ditto. I think the rate drops to 5.XX% after the 6% teaser. Still not to shabby.