Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Bank of America
Old 05-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

BofA bought MBNA a while back and the transition was NOT smooth. What they said on their website did not match my experience during the change.
Ditto, they bought Nations Bank about 10 years ago. They still have not integrated their military banking with the rest of BofA. If I have a question about my account they have to call San Antonio to find out because the systems are not linked at the teller. You have to go over to the customer service desk to get them to access my info. This month I just opened up a bank account with a local bank in GA and the manager knows my name, my wife's name and my son's name. Can't say the same about BofA. Their too big to care as another poster mentioned.

You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by Arif
Ditto, they bought Nations Bank about 10 years ago.
It is a wonder Bank of America can find the keys to the front door since they have undergone so many mergers and acquisitions over the years. Think system integration projects from hell.

Wikipedia traces the bank's lineage as follows:

Commercial National Bank (CNB), the earliest forerunner of NationsBank, was formed in 1874.

In 1957, Commercial National merged with its longtime rival in Charlotte, American Trust Co., forming American Commercial Bank. American Commercial changed its name to North Carolina National Bank (NCNB) in 1960 after acquiring of Greensboro-based Security National Bank. In the early 70s, it reorganized as the leading subsidiary of NCNB Corporation.

NCNB expanded beyond North Carolina for the first time in 1982, when it purchased Lake City, Florida-based First National Bank of Lake City, its first interstate expansion. Hugh McColl became CEO of NCNB the following year.
In 1988, NCNB's assets grew to $60 billion after it bought the failed First Republic Bank of Dallas, Texas from the FDIC.

NCNB became NationsBank in 1991 after acquiring Atlanta-based C&S/Sovran Corp. Following the merger, the Bank's assets grew to $118 billion.
In 1996, NationsBank acquired St. Louis-based Boatmen's Bancshares for $9.6 billion. The combined bank became the largest in the American south, with assets of $225 billion, and 2,600 branches stretching from North Carolina to New Mexico.

The following year, NationsBank acquired Florida's largest bank, Jacksonville-based Barnett Bank, for $15.5 billion, growing the company's total assets to $284 billion.

In 1998, it acquired BankAmerica, San Francisco, California, and the whole unit took on the name of Bank of America.... Headquarters for the new enterprise were established in Charlotte.

And this doesn't even touch the M&A activity on the BofA California side or any M&A activity in the merged or acquired banks!

One additional note: After NCNB purchased the failed First Republic Bank and moved into Texas, the word on the street was NCNB was an acronym for “No Cash for No Body” based on the bank’s reluctance to make small business loans in the state. :P

Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I guess Im in the younger generation and really dont have a reason to step into a bank. That being said I have never stepped foot in my bank, BofA, and I love them! I have a free military checking account and free online billpay. I can go almost anywhere and have access to a BofA ATM which many of my friend envy.

I did try USAA out just for the heck of it. What I found is I would never stay with USAA becuase of how slow their system is. I would go out to eat and pay with my debit card and this purchase would finally update the next day. BofA in contrast has always had my account updated instantly.

trixs is offline   Reply With Quote