Bank retirement funds

jambo101

Full time employment: Posting here.
As a total newb to the retirement scene i am wondering how a bank runs a retirement fund account.I have a good pension from my employer but i also have about $60000 in the bank as a guaranteed investment (GiC) if i turned this $60k into an income fund would the bank just take the monthly payout from the capital? or do they just pay me the interest on the $60k? and what kind of monthly payment could i expect on $60k?:confused:

By the lack of response I guess an [SIZE=-1]Individual Pension Plan[/SIZE] set up by a bank must be a local phenomenon'.

Last edited:
Perhaps if you provided a symbol or more info it would be easier to respond.

Most "GIC"s are a selection in a 401K, like a stable value account. Banks offer them in their 401K's because they are deathly afraid of their employees taking risk, and would prefer them to underperform over the years..........:)

I guess the American equivalent would be a 401k or as we call them in Canada Registered Retirement savings plan that is accumulated year by year and has some tax benefits when purchased,it is usually invested in mutual funds or the more secure "guaranteed investments".I'll probably end up talking to the bank about it but in this computer age most banking is done on line and as a result the main bank has closed all its branch offices so its quite a drive to get to it..

I guess the American equivalent would be a 401k or as we call them in Canada Registered Retirement savings plan that is accumulated year by year and has some tax benefits when purchased,it is usually invested in mutual funds or the more secure "guaranteed investments".I'll probably end up talking to the bank about it but in this computer age most banking is done on line and as a result the main bank has closed all its branch offices so its quite a drive to get to it..

Well, Canadien investments are a "whole nother world" to me..........;)

Due to the strange obsession of this forum to not list location under the user name i have no idea where any one comes from.

Due to the strange obsession of this forum to not list location under the user name i have no idea where any one comes from.

It's not a requirement......anonymity is a powerful thing.........;)

Well, I AM strange, [-]because[/-] and my location is Texas...

$60k should provide maybe $3k/yr (at 5% interest), so $250/mo, without touchng principle. Not adjusted for inflation.

Thanks HFWR thats what i was looking for .As for the user locale i am on many forums and this is the only one that has the lack of user location listed and if some one wants to do something with the givens of Jambo101 living in Montreal i say good luck, i have seen another forum where there are no user names and every one logs in as "guest"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom