Join Early Retirement Today

Bank retirement funds
Old 10-22-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bank retirement funds

As a total newb to the retirement scene i am wondering how a bank runs a retirement fund account.I have a good pension from my employer but i also have about $60000 in the bank as a guaranteed investment (GiC) if i turned this $60k into an income fund would the bank just take the monthly payout from the capital? or do they just pay me the interest on the $60k? and what kind of monthly payment could i expect on $60k?:confused:
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #2

By the lack of response I guess an Individual Pension Plan set up by a bank must be a local phenomenon'.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps if you provided a symbol or more info it would be easier to respond.

Most "GIC"s are a selection in a 401K, like a stable value account. Banks offer them in their 401K's because they are deathly afraid of their employees taking risk, and would prefer them to underperform over the years..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Perhaps if you provided a symbol or more info it would be easier to respond.
What kind of more info?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What kind of more info?
A symbol or name for the $60,000 would be a start. read my post again...........

Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #6

I guess the American equivalent would be a 401k or as we call them in Canada Registered Retirement savings plan that is accumulated year by year and has some tax benefits when purchased,it is usually invested in mutual funds or the more secure "guaranteed investments".I'll probably end up talking to the bank about it but in this computer age most banking is done on line and as a result the main bank has closed all its branch offices so its quite a drive to get to it..
Old 10-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess the American equivalent would be a 401k or as we call them in Canada Registered Retirement savings plan that is accumulated year by year and has some tax benefits when purchased,it is usually invested in mutual funds or the more secure "guaranteed investments".I'll probably end up talking to the bank about it but in this computer age most banking is done on line and as a result the main bank has closed all its branch offices so its quite a drive to get to it..
Well, Canadien investments are a "whole nother world" to me..........

Old 10-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #8

Due to the strange obsession of this forum to not list location under the user name i have no idea where any one comes from.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Due to the strange obsession of this forum to not list location under the user name i have no idea where any one comes from.

It's not a requirement......anonymity is a powerful thing.........

Old 10-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well, I AM strange, because and my location is Texas...

$60k should provide maybe $3k/yr (at 5% interest), so $250/mo, without touchng principle. Not adjusted for inflation.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #11

Thanks HFWR thats what i was looking for .As for the user locale i am on many forums and this is the only one that has the lack of user location listed and if some one wants to do something with the givens of Jambo101 living in Montreal i say good luck, i have seen another forum where there are no user names and every one logs in as "guest"